Author Topic: Fed up with status quo, Ukrainians may elect comedian in presidential run-off  (Read 393 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Fed up with status quo, Ukrainians may elect comedian in presidential run-off
Matthias Williams

KIEV (Reuters) - Ukrainians vote on Sunday in the second round of an election that could thrust a comedian with no prior political experience into the presidency of a country at war and wanting transformational change.

Volodymyr Zelenskiy, who plays a fictitious president in a popular TV series, has led opinion polls against the incumbent Petro Poroshenko, whose popularity has been dragged down by patchy efforts to tackle corruption and sliding living standards.

At stake is the leadership of a country on the frontline of the West’s standoff with Russia following the 2014 Maidan street protests and the annexation of Crimea. Both candidates have pledged to keep the country on a pro-Western course.

Read more at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ukraine-election/fed-up-with-status-quo-ukrainians-may-elect-comedian-in-presidential-run-off-idUSKCN1RX01N

The comedian will probably win.  He's a comedian but from what I know, played the president in a situation comedy, so is he a stand up comedian such as Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Lenny Bruce were? It doesn't seem that way to me.

I didn't know, this article from the Israeli press even says Zelenskiy is Jewish.

https://outline.com/jvDwUs
Ukraine may elect a Jewish president. Here’s why it’s not an issue

From Haaretz in case, the link doesn't work.

I wouldn't have high expectations of him but it might be time for a different trek for Ukraine.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 04:43:24 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Zelenskiy won in a landslide. There is not much to add on. It was anti-climactic because this is certainly what the polls told us.  Perhaps, officially, the vote count continues but he has a major lead.

Offline dfwgator

Does this mean we can get Yakov Smirnoff to run against Putin?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Somehow I don't see this guy's victory as helping the Ukranians' future very much...

Online corbe

Not worth it Ukraine, been there, got the T Shirt.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.