Author Topic: Navy Set to Drop All Criminal Charges Against Fitzgerald CO, Junior Officer; SECNAV Will Issue Lette  (Read 629 times)

rangerrebew

Navy Set to Drop All Criminal Charges Against Fitzgerald CO, Junior Officer; SECNAV Will Issue Letters of Censure
By: Sam LaGrone
April 10, 2019 10:47 PM

The Navy plans to drop all criminal charges against two officers for their roles in the 2017 fatal collision of USS Fitzgerald (DDG-62), USNI News has learned.

Former Fitzgerald commander Cmdr. Bryce Benson and tactical action officer Lt. Natalie Combs will no longer face criminal negligence charges for their roles and will instead be issued career-ending letters of censure from Secretary of the Navy Richard V. Spencer, according to a Wednesday letter sent to families of the seven sailors who died in the June 17, 2017, collision with the ACX Crystal off the coast of Japan.

“On 11 April, the Secretary of the Navy will issue Secretarial Letters of Censure to both CDR. Bryce Benson and LT Natalie Combs, the Commanding Officer and Tactical, respectively of the USS Fitzgerald at the time of the collision that resulted in the death of seven U.S. Sailors on 17 June, 2017,” read a copy of the letter obtained by USNI News. “The Secretarial Letters of Censure will publicly reprimand each officer for their actions commensurate with their respective levels of responsibility.”

https://news.usni.org/2019/04/10/navy-set-to-drop-all-criminal-charges-against-fitzgerald-co-junior-officer-secnav-will-issue-letters-of-censure

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
What a crock.  A Sternly Worded Letter for their permanent files.

Adding insult to injury, this FTA:

The letter to the families concludes with the service promising “to provide updates on significant information related to accountability actions and the Navy’s corrective measures to improve the safety and security of our people and our operations. Your loved ones did not die in vain; their legacy lives in the form of a stronger and more capable Navy.”
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline jpsb

This collision and the other collision is entirely the fault of the US Navy. It was madness to reduce crew levels to the point where watched are not posted on the deck to watch for hazards with eyeballs. I've been at sea at night and commercial vessels are lit up like Christmas trees. It would be impossible not to see them approaching.

Also the Navy stopped training officers in basic seamanship to save money. The Navy is just covering it's butt by dropping the court case.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
This collision and the other collision is entirely the fault of the US Navy. It was madness to reduce crew levels to the point where watched are not posted on the deck to watch for hazards with eyeballs. I've been at sea at night and commercial vessels are lit up like Christmas trees. It would be impossible not to see them approaching.

Also the Navy stopped training officers in basic seamanship to save money. The Navy is just covering it's butt by dropping the court case.

All true.  I read the report, and it is certainly clear that the three key officers on duty that night - the TAO, the OD, and the JOD (all of whom happened to be female) all screwed up.  The Captain is responsible as well simply because it was his ship, but the truth is that he complained repeatedly, in writing, that the operational tempo and staffing levels were dangerous, and prevented essential training.  Propublica put together a truly excellent article summarizing what happened.  It's very long, but very informative

https://features.propublica.org/navy-accidents/uss-fitzgerald-destroyer-crash-crystal/

In terms of seeing approaching vessels, that's generally true.  In this case, it seems that the path of one vessel partially masked the approach of a different vessel, at least for awhile.  And the officer responsible for keeping eyes on port and starboard -- the JOD -- got distracted and failed to see the ships in time.  The TAO also never bothered contacting the bridge even once to let the OD know how many vessels were in the area, and their range/bearing.  And the OD herself just did a complete brain fart when determining how to avoid the potential collision.  It also appears that nobody checked the adjustment of the radars, so they weren't turned properly for the relevant ranges.

I agree that the Navy realized that that though the officers involved certainly were at fault, there was a major issue regarding staffing and tempo that simply had not been addressed.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 06:59:44 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
What a crock.  A Sternly Worded Letter for their permanent files.

Adding insult to injury, this FTA:

Well, the Captain suffered a head trauma from which he will never fully recover, and those kind of letters end your career.  So the reality is that it's not "just a letter" -- it's getting booted out of the Navy.  He'd also taken over that ship just a month before, and apparently had done as much as possible in a short amount of time to try to get the crew up to speed.   

I do think Lt. Combs, the TAO, probably should have been court-martialed.  But there's no way the Navy was going to have the only court-martial be a female.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Well, the Captain suffered a head trauma from which he will never fully recover, and those kind of letters end your career.  So the reality is that it's not "just a letter" -- it's getting booted out of the Navy.  He'd also taken over that ship just a month before, and apparently had done as much as possible in a short amount of time to try to get the crew up to speed.   

I do think Lt. Combs, the TAO, probably should have been court-martialed.  But there's no way the Navy was going to have the only court-martial be a female.

I can agree with you on that.  I am not of military background so I gladly defer to your superior understanding of the issues.

Combs is pretty, so she has that going for her.

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: