Author Topic: The meaning of “militia” in the Second Amendment  (Read 202 times)

rangerrebew

The meaning of “militia” in the Second Amendment
« on: April 08, 2019, 12:03:04 pm »
The meaning of “militia” in the Second Amendment

By: Rob Natelson|Published on: Apr 6, 2019

This is the second article examining contributions to our understanding of the Constitution from the three brand new volumes of the Documentary History of the Ratification of the Constitution of the United States.

My first article observed that probably the greatest contribution of these three new volumes is reproduction, in indexed and easy-to-use hard copy form, of four essays by Tench Coxe.

Coxe was a Pennsylvania businessman, economist, and member of the Confederation Congress who later served as our first assistant secretary of the treasury. During late 1787 and throughout 1788 he wrote a series of essays urging the Constitution’s ratification. Coxe wrote under several pseudonyms, but all four essays in the new volumes were signed “A Pennsylvanian.”

https://tenthamendmentcenter.com/2019/04/06/the-meaning-of-militia-in-the-second-amendment/

Offline Night Hides Not

Re: The meaning of “militia” in the Second Amendment
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 02:46:29 pm »
My favorite is from George Mason. Succinct, easily understood.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
— George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

http://econfaculty.gmu.edu/wew/quotes/arms.html
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: The meaning of “militia” in the Second Amendment
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 09:35:27 pm »
The militia is me.  And you, and you, and .....
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington