Author Topic: DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen resigns after clashes with Trump on immigration  (Read 682 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
DHS Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen resigns after clashes with Trump on immigration

BY PAULA REID 1 hr ago

Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen abruptly resigned Sunday, as the president continues to fume over continued illegal border crossings. CBS News first reported Nielsen's impending departure, which Mr. Trump confirmed in a tweet after a 5 p.m. meeting with Nielsen at the White House.

Nielsen's resignation is effective immediately. Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Kevin McAleenan will serve as acting DHS secretary, Mr. Trump announced.
"Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen will be leaving her position, and I would like to thank her for her service," Mr. Trump tweeted Sunday. "...I am pleased to announce that Kevin McAleenan, the current U.S. Customs and Border Protection Commissioner, will become Acting Secretary for @DHSgov. I have confidence that Kevin will do a great job!"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dhs-secretary-kirstjen-nielsen-resigns-after-clashes-with-trump-on-immigration/ar-BBVI0Ii?ocid=spartanntp

Fixed link.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 01:32:23 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

DHS Sec. Kirstjen Nielsen to Tucker Carlson: Getting Rid of Birthright Citizenship Is ‘on the Table’

By Justin Baragona
,The Daily Beast•April 2, 2019

Hours after President Trump declared he would “100 percent” close America’s southern border if he can’t make a deal with Congress on border security and immigration, Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen told Fox News host Tucker Carlson that eliminating birthright citizenship is “on the table” as a way to stop the flow of undocumented immigrants and asylum-seeking migrants.

https://news.yahoo.com/dhs-sec-kirstjen-nielsen-tucker-022727003.html

AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I watched her interview and it was very frustrating.  She wouldn't commit to anything or take any responsibility but referred everything to Trump. 

Offline Chosen Daughter

What I want to know is what the clash was and was it Kirstjen who wanted a tougher stance or Trump?  Will this Kevin guy just be interested in building bigger detention centers to accommodate all these poor migrants or will he lead the country in a direction to stop the madness?  Is his mind on helping migrants or securing the border?

Offline Chosen Daughter

I watched her interview and it was very frustrating.  She wouldn't commit to anything or take any responsibility but referred everything to Trump.

I know.  What does that mean?  I want to know if she wasn't allowed to do her job.  Or she just didn't want to answer because she didn't want to take a hard line.

Could you post the link to that interview?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 02:04:37 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I’m surprised she lasted this long and sure half the problem was she was a John Kelly ally.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Absalom

Give Nielsen all the blame you want, as it's beside the point.
Leaders must be able to measure character and Trump has
consistently demonstrated that he cannot.
Recall the Three Musketeers: Spicier, Scaramouche and Sessions????
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 02:36:22 am by Absalom »

Offline Chosen Daughter

Give Nielsen all the blame you want, as it's beside the point.
Leaders must be able to measure character and Trump has
consistently demonstrated that he cannot.
Recall the Three Musketeers: Spicier, Scaramouche and Sessions????

Yeah "only the best".  I doubt that you can blame Nielson.  Trump is all over the place. He's going to do this, then he isn't.  It would be a nightmare to try and work for a guy like that.  I think its because he has a divided White House.  Jared is the Koch connection.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

DHS Sec. Kirstjen Nielsen to Tucker Carlson: Getting Rid of Birthright Citizenship Is ‘on the Table’

By Justin Baragona
,The Daily Beast•April 2, 2019

Hours after President Trump declared he would “100 percent” close America’s southern border if he can’t make a deal with Congress on border security and immigration, Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen told Fox News host Tucker Carlson that eliminating birthright citizenship is “on the table” as a way to stop the flow of undocumented immigrants and asylum-seeking migrants.

https://news.yahoo.com/dhs-sec-kirstjen-nielsen-tucker-022727003.html

On the table with who?  Not the House...probably not even the Senate.  the SCOTUS?  WTF is this?  ICE decides?

“It looks like Congress is not going to act because one party has a vested interest in changing the population and the other party is, in effect, controlled by people who want illegal immigration,” Carlson asserted. “So would there be a downside for the president to act unilaterally on that question or, for example, birthright citizenship? Would you be willing to draft an executive order eliminating birthright citizenship?” - Tucker Carlson

God I love this show.

I hope nobody will blame Sec. Kirstjen Nielsen nor the man who picked her, President Trump, just because the border has never been worse.  The thing is, he really tried hard, but things like his choices for DOJ, FBI, CIA, HLS, and his cabinet, lawyers, and advisors have stood in his way. 
What moron picked those guys?

Even more sad, nothing has been more detrimental than Trump's own personality.  A personality that thinks twitter fans equal votes, and if your twitter base is hot, why not nationalize a midterm election?

Maybe it is...
I only know I'm rooting against Trump...I have been for awhile, and I'm feeling more comfortable telling others every day.

Offline Absalom

Yeah "only the best".  I doubt that you can blame Nielson.  Trump is all over the place. He's going to do this, then he isn't.  It would be a nightmare to try and work for a guy like that.  I think its because he has a divided White House.  Jared is the Koch connection.
-------------------------------------
In reality, I hardly blame Nielsen, dealt a losing hand.
Trump's warts are emerging rapidly, among them;
* He is obviously gaining serious weight in his seventies.
* His rants and tweets have become increasingly incoherent.
* He never could judge character in subordinates, a critical
   attribute leaders must have.
* What he starts, he rarely, if ever, finishes.

Offline aligncare

I suppose 100-story Trump emblazoned skyscrapers magically appeared in Mumbai, Makati, Istanbul, Punta Del Este and Seoul—among the more than two dozen worldwide.

Anybody can start projects and they will just spontaneously appear completed. See? Easy peezy.

Offline Absalom

I suppose 100-story Trump emblazoned skyscrapers magically appeared in Mumbai, Makati, Istanbul, Punta Del Este and Seoul—among the more than two dozen worldwide.

Anybody can start projects and they will just spontaneously appear completed. See? Easy peezy.
-----------------------------------
Er..............I was implying Venezuela, South Korea, Syria, Afghanistan; hardly Apartment Buildings!