Author Topic: Russia's Only Aircraft Carrier Might Be Headed for the Scrapper  (Read 380 times)

rangerrebew

April 7, 2019

Russia's Only Aircraft Carrier Might Be Headed for the Scrapper

The Russian navy might decommission its only aircraft without directly replacing the vessel, leaving Moscow’s fleet without any prospect of at-sea air cover for the first time in decades.
by David Axe Follow @daxe on Twitter L

The Russian navy might decommission its only aircraft without directly replacing the vessel, leaving Moscow’s fleet without any prospect of at-sea air cover for the first time in decades.

Admiral Kuznetsov, the Russian navy’s sole flattop, in October 2018 suffered serious damage at the 82nd Repair Shipyard in Roslyakovo, a northern port city, when the PD-50 dry-dock sank while Kuznetsov was aboard for repairs.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/russias-only-aircraft-carrier-might-be-headed-scrapper-51222
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 11:19:23 am by rangerrebew »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Russia's Only Aircraft Carrier Might Be Headed for the Scrapper
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 12:33:17 pm »
The article only talked about floating dry docks. I wonder if they have any "Graving" dry docks?

When the Lexington was in the Bayonne dry dock, I was able to walk under the ship.

Offline thackney

Re: Russia's Only Aircraft Carrier Might Be Headed for the Scrapper
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 12:40:44 pm »
The article only talked about floating dry docks. I wonder if they have any "Graving" dry docks?

When the Lexington was in the Bayonne dry dock, I was able to walk under the ship.

Not of that size.

The Russian Navy does not have a domestic replacement with equivalent capacity for the giant floating drydock PD-50, which sank out from beneath the service's only aircraft carrier last month. According to United Shipbuilding Corporation CEO Alexei Rakhmanov, there are no other graving docks or floating drydocks in Russia with the capacity to handle the carrier, the aging Soviet-era vessel Admiral Kuznetsov....

https://maritime-executive.com/article/russian-navy-has-no-replacement-for-sunken-drydock?rand=17996
Life is fragile, handle with prayer