Author Topic: Republican Senator Proposes 'New Manhattan Project,' Ridicules Green New Deal as 'Assault on Cars, C  (Read 826 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Republican Senator Proposes 'New Manhattan Project,' Ridicules Green New Deal as 'Assault on Cars, Cows'

Tennessee Senator Lamar Alexander dismissed the Democrat-proposed "Green New Deal" legislation to combat climate change and instead offered his own "New Manhattan Project" riffing on another landmark FDR-era initiative.
Alexander issued a statement this week proposing “One Republican’s response to climate change: a New Manhattan Project for Clean Energy" in which he acknowledged "climate change is real" and man-made -- a concept increasingly mocked by many members of the GOP, including President Donald Trump. The Tennessee Republican's plan would double federal funding for energy research and focus on a tangible set of "Ten Grand Challenges" to increase and reduce the cost of clean energy.
Alexander released a video criticizing the "Green New Deal" but calling on Republicans to offer "what we're for" and not just against. He ripped the Democratic plan as "an assault on cars, cows and combustion."
By Benjamin Fearnow On 3/27/19 at 12:10 PM EDT

snip
https://www.newsweek.com/climate-change-green-new-deal-lamar-alexander-manhattan-project-nuclear-clean-1376942
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The last Manhattan Project was to develop a weapon of mass destruction, but we weren't going to commit suicide with it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The last Manhattan Project was to develop a weapon of mass destruction, but we weren't going to commit suicide with it.
The idea is: Develop Gen. IV nuclear power, to steer away from fossill fuels, which supposedly contribute to climate change.

The science is above most folk's technical skill.

The political attraction is it could be a middle path, between "global warming" fanatic, and sceptics.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The idea is: Develop Gen. IV nuclear power, to steer away from fossill fuels, which supposedly contribute to climate change.

The science is above most folk's technical skill.

The political attraction is it could be a middle path, between "global warming" fanatic, and sceptics.
I am not a Skeptic, I am a geologist.
The Earth has been hotter, it has been colder, and all without our help.
We don't even know the "right" temperature, much less control the thermostat.

AGW is so much hooey. It is a pseudoscientific fad, another scam designed to separate the masses and their assets, by popular and panicked acclamation. 

If we are to develop nuclear power, let's do so for its own merits, and not because of some traveling Algore medicine show proclaiming doom upon us if we don't kowtow to the altar of greenhouse gases.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis