Author Topic: Supreme Court rules man can be executed by lethal injection after claim it would cause 'severe pain'  (Read 685 times)

Offline corbe

Supreme Court rules man can be executed by lethal injection after claim it would cause 'severe pain'

By Jacqueline Thomsen  - 04/01/19 10:10 AM EDT

The Supreme Court on Monday ruled 5-4 that a Missouri man can be executed by lethal injection, after he argued that a medical condition would cause him "severe pain" during the execution.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/436701-supreme-court-rules-man-can-be-executed-by-lethal-injection-after
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Good.
He DESERVES "severe pain".

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Russell Bucklew, who was convicted of murder, kidnapping and rape, appealed his planned execution, claiming it would violate his Eighth Amendment rights protecting him against "cruel and unusual punishment."

He had no qualms about inflicting cruelty on others.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline mountaineer

Boo freaking hoo.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline goatprairie

I remember reading an account of a "botched" execution some years ago in Oklahoma where the perp suffered for a while before expiring.  Gee, he suffered for a short time before finally croaking......what a shame.
I think maybe making executions public and painful might deter a few more killers.  I might leave that up to the families of the victims.

Offline Polly Ticks

*sigh*

I think this is another place where we have strayed too far.  Yes, the 8th Amendment provides that there should not be cruel and unusual punishment, but I don't believe that should be taken as a guarantee of a peaceful and painless death for capital crimes.  We shouldn't be drawing and quartering people -- no matter how richly they may deserve it -- but the idea that allowing them to experience any pain or discomfort at all is cruel or unusual is ridiculous. 

By that standard, we would take it one step further and say that capital punishment is cruel because it causes them mental anguish leading up to the execution.  (Abortion based on mental health of the mother comes to mind.)
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
The condemned should be allowed three choices for their exit from this world.

1. The Electric Chair

2. The Firing Squad

3. The Hangman's Noose

The executions should be public, they should scare people especially those that commit capital crimes, after all the death penalty is not just the ultimate punishment it should also be the ultimate deterrent! Who really fears an eternity on death row with the ultimate possibility being a peaceful sleep as an end?

Offline dfwgator

I remember reading an account of a "botched" execution some years ago in Oklahoma where the perp suffered for a while before expiring.  Gee, he suffered for a short time before finally croaking......what a shame.
I think maybe making executions public and painful might deter a few more killers.  I might leave that up to the families of the victims.

It's only a "botched" execution if the condemned doesn't die.