Author Topic: The Irish of Barbados (Photos)  (Read 2250 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The Irish of Barbados (Photos)
« on: March 29, 2019, 04:03:22 pm »

The Irish in Barbados have a long and troubled history. Pictured above are Erlene Downie (left) and Betty Fenty, who is the great aunt of singer Rihanna. All photos by Sheena Joley.

Photos and Article by Sheena Jolley, Contributor
October / November 2015

The descendants of Irish people sold into slavery in the 1600s live in a close-knit community beset by poverty and ill health.

℘℘℘

During the winter of 1636, a ship bearing a consignment of 61 men and women destined to be slaves on the plantations of Barbados slipped quietly out of Kinsale Harbor on Ireland’s rugged southern coast. By the time Captain Joseph West’s ship arrived in the Caribbean in January 1637, eight of the 61 had died. The remainder were sold, including ten to the governor of Barbados, for 450 pounds of sugar apiece. Captain West was instructed to return to London to sell the sugar and then proceed to Kinsale to procure another cargo of Irish slaves. That first small trickle soon became a human flood.

It was a lucrative business. An Irish white slave could be sold in Barbados for between £10 and £35....

https://irishamerica.com/2015/10/the-irish-of-barbados-photos/

I ran across this the other day.  It's an interesting story.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: The Irish of Barbados (Photos)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 04:29:55 pm »
Thanks for posting..it was very interesting as I have never heard of these people...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 04:45:11 pm »
In a past life, I was a beach bum on Barbados for several months (yes, it's true).  I saw these people but never knew their story.  Thanks for posting.

BTW... there are beautiful people on the island who are a many-multi-generational blend of the races.  Yes, I enjoyed it.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 05:04:03 pm »
I'm pretty darned sure that Irish slavery didn't just occur on the Island of Barbados!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 05:05:38 pm »
I'm pretty darned sure that Irish slavery didn't just occur on the Island of Barbados!

I’d say you are correct.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 05:54:57 pm »
Their Patriarchical White Priviledge wasn't worth much for these wretched souls, it seems.

Terms like "Mere Irish," and ni**ers of Europe" in living colour.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 11:51:32 pm »
Does this mean the Irish qualify for "reparashuns", too....?

Offline conservativevoter

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 06:35:05 pm »
My husband's family should also qualify for reparations!  There was an ancestor who served in a famous Vermont unit from 1862 to the end.

Give us the $$$$$; if some get it for being slaves, give it also to those who helped them get free!  :beer:

Offline berdie

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 08:51:21 pm »
In a past life, I was a beach bum on Barbados for several months (yes, it's true).  I saw these people but never knew their story.  Thanks for posting.

BTW... there are beautiful people on the island who are a many-multi-generational blend of the races.  Yes, I enjoyed it.

Dang it Lando...you make me jealous. I wish I could live as a beach bum on Barbados..today!!!

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 10:11:13 pm »
Very interesting!  In 2017 I met a gentleman in Barbados who is a Downie and VERY proud of his work as a gardener / landscaper at a resort where guests seek him out just to meet him.  I had no idea re his background.  If anyone is interested in hearing their accent, he is in this video in the beginning and at 2:35. 
Error 404 (Not Found)!!1