Author Topic: Jussie Smollett may strike back with lawsuit after charges dropped  (Read 1081 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Jussie Smollett may strike back with lawsuit after charges dropped
by Diana Stancy Correll
 | March 27, 2019 11:28 AM

Actor Jussie Smollett’s lawyer suggested his client might take legal action after Chicago prosecutors dropped charges against the “Empire” star on Tuesday.

ABC’s George Stephanopoulos asked attorney Tina Glandian if she was “going to sue" in an interview Wednesday.

“We’re weighing our options now,” Glandian said.

“For Jussie, what’s really important is he really just wants his career and his life back,” Glandian said. “Again, he did not ask for any of this, he was a victim of a crime.”

Glandian didn't go into specifics about whom Smollett’s legal team could target in a lawsuit.

In a shocking turn of events Tuesday, Chicago prosecutors dropped all charges against Smollett after he had been indicted by a grand jury earlier this month on 16 felony counts of lying to authorities, prompting backlash from Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel and police.

Smollett, 36, claimed he was attacked earlier this year in downtown Chicago by two masked white men who shouted racist and homophobic remarks at him on Jan. 29. Smollett, who is black and gay, claimed they put a noose around his neck and threw what he believed was bleach on him.

In February, the Chicago Police Department announced there was significant evidence that Smollett orchestrated a hoax attack, which was initially investigated by police as a hate crime. According to police, Smollett paid two brothers $3,600 to carry out the assault, and did so to advance his career.

Smollett has consistently said he is innocent.

“This has been an incredibly difficult time, honestly one of the worst of my entire life. But I am a man of faith and I am a man that has knowledge of my history and I would not bring my family, our lives, or the movement through a fire like this. I just wouldn't,” Smollett said in a statement after the charges were dropped Tuesday.

“Now, I’d like nothing more than to just get back to work and move on with my life but make no mistakes I will always continue to fight for the justice, equality, and betterment of marginalized people everywhere,” he said.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/jussie-smollett-may-strike-back-with-lawsuit-after-charges-dropped
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline rustynail

Re: Jussie Smollett may strike back with lawsuit after charges dropped
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 03:49:19 pm »
Go Jussie!   No Justice No Peace!

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 03:49:34 pm »
Go ahead Jussie. Your *deal* which is sealed will be opened for all to see..you should count yourself lucky and just shut up....

Who is giving this guy legal advice...sheeeesh!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline rustynail

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 04:10:53 pm »
 Complete @Chicago_Police investigative file of @jussiesmollett case is now posted.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 04:12:08 pm »
Complete @Chicago_Police investigative file of @jussiesmollett case is now posted.

Uh...is there a link where that was actually reported.  Because if so, someone in that PD is going to be hung by that judge.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 04:24:44 pm »
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2019/03/27/here-we-go-looks-like-chicago-police-have-just-declared-war-on-jussie-smollett/

Hah!

It appears that a local news organization zapped an expedited FOIA request over to the Chicago cops, and they (which has never before happened in human history) immediately turned over the file.  That happened before the court had formally ordered the file placed under seal.  So even though the court agreed to put the file under seal, it's not a legally binding order until it has been signed by the judge, entered on the docket, and any required service has been made.  Because the CPD didn't have a signed order from the judge, they lawfully could release that information in response to a FOIA.

Well done, CPD.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 04:26:47 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 04:26:48 pm »
I thought the reaction of Raham and the CPD was phony and all in on the dropped charges charade...I maybe wrong after seeing this released..
Support the USO

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 04:29:45 pm »
It's absolutely hilarious.  The cops, at a minimum, are truly pissed.  And I'll bet that Police Chief is laughing his ass off, because he knows he got one over on the prosecutors office.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 05:01:11 pm »
Go Jussie!   No Justice No Peace!

No lasso, no bleach is more like it.

Offline kidd

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 05:59:06 pm »
Hah!

It appears that a local news organization zapped an expedited FOIA request over to the Chicago cops, and they (which has never before happened in human history) immediately turned over the file.  That happened before the court had formally ordered the file placed under seal.  So even though the court agreed to put the file under seal, it's not a legally binding order until it has been signed by the judge, entered on the docket, and any required service has been made.  Because the CPD didn't have a signed order from the judge, they lawfully could release that information in response to a FOIA.

Well done, CPD.
Outstanding.

Offline kidd

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 06:00:20 pm »
Smollett mailed himself a threat letter.
That is mail fraud. Which is a Federal issue.

This case isn't dead yet.

Online Lando Lincoln

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Applewood

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 07:26:55 pm »
If I were Jussie. I'd leave well enough alone.  An aggressive enough defense team could expose a lot of stuff he might not want out in public.    And it could bolster any federal investigation, leading to more serious charges.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 10:49:35 pm »
Oh, please do sue Jussie.  Discovery will be a hoot.

Offline berdie

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 11:05:20 pm »
If I were Jussie. I'd leave well enough alone.  An aggressive enough defense team could expose a lot of stuff he might not want out in public.    And it could bolster any federal investigation, leading to more serious charges.

I totally agree.  He needs to slink back into the shadows...and come out in a year or so.  No one will remember who he is and his career will take off.

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2019, 11:56:05 am »
This is the kind of action that will result in a meeting of
a baseball bat and a former actors head.

And the lying basta..d feels wronged. Easy prey.

:)
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Online mountaineer

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2019, 01:38:13 pm »
I thought the reaction of Raham and the CPD was phony and all in on the dropped charges charade...I maybe wrong after seeing this released..
Anyone who takes Rahm at his word is a fool. Given his political history, it's hard to believe he's ever told the truth. The police chief, on the other hand, really may be outraged. We'll see.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2019, 01:42:00 pm »
Anyone who takes Rahm at his word is a fool. Given his political history, it's hard to believe he's ever told the truth. The police chief, on the other hand, really may be outraged. We'll see.

Even Piers Morgan is getting in on the outrage.

PIERS MORGAN: An apology to Jussie Smollett: I’m sorry - you’re even more despicable than I thought you were, and so are the shameful
prosecutors who let you off this repulsive fake hate-crime

:thud:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2019, 02:07:05 pm »
Jussie Smollett Lawyer: ‘We’re Weighing Our Options’ on Suing Chicago Police
https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2019/03/27/jussie-smollett-lawyer-were-weighing-our-options-on-suing-chicago-police/
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2019, 02:08:57 pm »

Exactly...I want to believe Rahm is outraged but you have to remember his history and working for the O'bamas.... :cool:
Support the USO

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2019, 02:54:38 pm »
Exactly...I want to believe Rahm is outraged but you have to remember his history and working for the O'bamas.... :cool:

@mystery-ak

My twitter feed is quite interesting this morning!

@nvrsurrender726
I believe this goes WAY higher than Kamala Harris. IMO, follow the $$. I believe it goes ALL THE WAY up 2 our ex-Commander-in-Chief. Look @ Ms Foxx, hubby works @ Loop Capital. Managing Partner @ Loop is Craig Robinson. Craig is Michelle O's brother.
See how that fits?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2019, 03:01:42 pm »
My twitter feed is quite interesting this morning!
Craig Robinson, basketball coach, is running an investment management firm? This sounds like the deals Joe Biden's son Hunter  has with the Ukrainian energy company and Bank of China. Utterly unqualified, but political favors are political favors, whether to siblings or parents.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2019, 03:05:00 pm »
Craig Robinson, basketball coach, is running an investment management firm? This sounds like the deals Joe Biden's son Hunter  has with the Ukrainian energy company and Bank of China. Utterly unqualified, but political favors are political favors, whether to siblings or parents.

Yeah! The corruption now is unbounded!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien