Author Topic: U.S. chief justice rejects bid to block 'bump stocks' gun ban  (Read 728 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Chief Justice John Roberts on Tuesday rejected a bid by gun rights activists to put on hold a ban by President Donald Trump's administration on "bump stock" gun attachments that enable semi-automatic weapons to be fired rapidly.

Justice Sonia Sotomayor has not yet acted on another similar request. The ban goes into effect on Tuesday but lower courts have yet to rule on an appeals brought by gun rights activists in Michigan and the U.S. capital.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-chief-justice-rejects-bid-block-bump-stocks-135059115.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: U.S. chief justice rejects bid to block 'bump stocks' gun ban
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 06:35:55 pm »
What a freaking disappointment Roberts has turned out to be.  Sure would like to know who got to him.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 07:59:10 pm »
What a freaking disappointment Roberts has turned out to be.  Sure would like to know who got to him.

I don't think anyone got to him; I believe that he's been a liberal all along.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 03:11:31 am »
I once heard a story that he adopted two children under very questionable circumstances and that liberals hold that over him, threatening to expose what he did which might be unlawful.

Roberts, the Bush apointee is no surprise.  Everything Bush did was less than mediocre.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 05:06:55 am »

@txradioguy

You are from TEXAS and STILL don't understand that the RINO known as President Boy Jorge picked another member of the homosexual mafia to sit on the SC to make sure it remained leftist?

Or are  you one of those fools who still considers the best friends the Clinton Crime Family ever had to be conservative in ANY respect of the word?

Granted,their power seems to have waned considerable since Babs,the evil mastermind that controlled the family and issued orders to her metro-sexual mama's boy sons has died,but we will be living with this corruption for decades yet to come.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 05:08:20 am »
I don't think anyone got to him; I believe that he's been a liberal all along.

@libertybele

BINGO. Snatched up out of obscurity and handpicked by Babs Bush to further her agenda.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 05:09:32 am »
I once heard a story that he adopted two children under very questionable circumstances and that liberals hold that over him, threatening to expose what he did which might be unlawful.

Roberts, the Bush apointee is no surprise.  Everything Bush did was less than mediocre.

@jafo2010

As well as purposeful.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 10:01:43 am »
Reading up on Roberts, I see some sources still describe him as conservative, which is how he was sold to the public when he was nominated to SCOTUS.  Yet, in reading some of his past work experience in Wikipedia, it says this about Roberts' time as an attorney with Hogan & Hartson :

As part of Hogan & Hartson's pro bono work, he worked behind the scenes for gay rights advocates, reviewing filings and preparing arguments for the Supreme Court case Romer v. Evans (1996), which was described in 2005 as "the movement's most important legal victory". Roberts also argued on behalf of the homeless, a case which became one of Roberts' "few appellate losses."[15] Another pro bono matter was a death penalty case in which he represented John Ferguson, who was convicted of killing eight people in Florida.[16][17]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Roberts

Would have been nice to have known Roberts was a liberal before he was nominated.  But I'm not sure it would have mattered.  Republicans would have still approved him because, as we have learned, being Republican is not the same as being conservative.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 10:02:42 am by Applewood »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 10:41:48 am »
You can't conclude that Roberts isn't a "conservative" on the basis of this ruling.  After all,  Scalia himself wrote in Heller that the individual gun right is subject to reasonable regulation (and this case doesn't even involve a ban on any type or classification of gun).

There is a case, though,  that will provide a tell.   The SCOTUS is, once again,  being asked this term to insinuate itself into the political process by ruling on two separate  gerrymandering complaints (one brought by Democrats, one by Republicans).   The Court should hold that such disputes are not justiciable, that the states are afforded the authority by the Constitution to decide how to elect their representatives to Congress,  and that any restrictions on gerrymandering are to imposed by act of Congress, not the courts.   The Constitution is perfectly clear that Congress has the power to restrict gerrymandering.   

If Roberts holds that such inherently political disputes are justiciable,  then I'll agree with folks that the man ain't conservative.   
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 10:43:20 am by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 03:01:26 pm »
You can't conclude that Roberts isn't a "conservative" on the basis of this ruling.   

@Jazzhead

I knew he wasn't a conservative when Boy Jorge nominated him because nobody really wanted to talk about him,and because he is a member of the alleged Republican homosexual cabal. If he hadn't been,Boy Jorge wouldn't have nominated him. He was seated to serve a select group of citizens,not ALL the citizens.

That was bad enough. Being made Chief Justice was outrageous. SC justices are supposed to protect and defend the Constitutional RIGHTS of ALL Americans,not a specific little subgroup. Anyone that claims he isn't biased is an outrageous liar. Boy Jorge and the rest of the Bush Crime Family are now officially out of power,but due to appointees like Roberts,are still screwing up this country. That whole damn family should be charged with treason,but like Obomber,they will never be touched due to being former presidents.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 03:06:20 pm »
When appointments to SCOTUS are limited only to the graduates of NE Liberal Law schools you can expect nothing less.  After all, they all had the same teachers and training.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 03:44:21 pm »
Perhaps it was somebody in the Trump Justice Department, the people who actually instigated the ban.   :shrug:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 03:45:51 pm by Once-Ler »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 04:07:53 pm »
When appointments to SCOTUS are limited only to the graduates of NE Liberal Law schools you can expect nothing less.  After all, they all had the same teachers and training.

Like Gorsuch and Kavanaugh?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 04:11:06 pm »
Without conservative judge appointments, Trump has nothing to offer me but bigotry, insanity, and comedy.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 04:27:46 pm »

Like Gorsuch and Kavanaugh?

Yes!  Along with Roberts, Thomas, Ginsberg, Bryer, Alito, Sotomayer, and Kagan.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 04:32:32 pm »
Yes!  Along with Roberts, Thomas, Ginsberg, Bryer, Alito, Sotomayer, and Kagan.

You don't like Thomas or Alito?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 04:37:36 pm »
You don't like Thomas or Alito?

Of course I like them! But definitely, do not like the fact that every current justice comes from the same few schools of law.  Not a fan of "good ole boy" networks in general!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 04:38:39 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 04:43:56 pm »
Of course I like them! But definitely, do not like the fact that every current justice comes from the same few schools of law.  Not a fan of "good ole boy" networks in general!
@Bigun
Thanx for the clarification.