Author Topic: After Second Suicide, Parkland Grapples with How to Help Survivors  (Read 503 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
After Second Suicide, Parkland Grapples with How to Help Survivors
KC Baker  ,People•March 24, 2019

Parkland, Florida, is still reeling from the 2018 massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, which claimed 17 lives, severely wounded 17 others and left an untold number of emotional scars in its wake.

Now, after word of a second apparent suicide by a teen survivor in less than a week, the still-shaken community is seeking ways to help those struggling in the tragedy’s aftermath — and to prevent more mass shootings.

“How many more kids have to be taken from us as a result of suicide for the government/school district to do anything?” student-turned-activist David Hogg, 18, wrote on Twitter Sunday.

Read more at: https://news.yahoo.com/second-suicide-parkland-grapples-help-193901942.html

I didn't see anyone post this article yet, 2 Parkland student survivors within a week's time, killed themselves.  A girl and now, a male, Ryan Petty. I'm very sorry, these kids took this way out. I hope it stops here, they should have at least, gotten counseling hopefully, preventing something like this.

Tom Petty, born in Florida.. hmm, I'm sure they are not related, just saying. 

Offline rustynail

Re: After Second Suicide, Parkland Grapples with How to Help Survivors
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 05:29:36 pm »
Blame guns.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 05:41:34 pm »
Now I see that one of the Sandy Hook parents decided to off himself at the same time.

They wonder why Alex Jones has a following when you have stuff like this happening all at once.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 05:46:44 pm »
It's been over a year since the shootings. I would have hoped the parents of these children had helped them through whatever issues they had. Just a reminder that every student then enrolled at MSDHS seems to be calling himself or herself a victim, even though they were nowhere near the bullets, e.g., little Hoggwash. 

So little Hoggwash expects the government and/or the school district (same thing) to deal with the children's issues. Are parents irrelevant?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 06:07:52 pm »
The culture into which children find themselves, normalizes entitlement,victimhood, etc.

Ideas that teens woould "self harm," cut themselves, off themselves are completely outside the experiences of many older than them.

So it is generational, thanks to adults that don't really become adult.

I remember a psychologist that notes incoming college freshmen aged 18-19, have the maturity of 13-15 year old of fairly recently.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 06:37:19 pm »
I remember a psychologist that notes incoming college freshmen aged 18-19, have the maturity of 13-15 year old of fairly recently.
Even that may be generous. I recently read something about how so many young people are experiencing serious mental health issues (many of which were attributed to the addiction to social media, but I digress). Helicopter parents, now replaced by bulldozer parents, who try to remove any obstacle in their little darlings' paths - including grief or misfortune.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 12:58:16 am »
Even though, we think of how great it must be to be in one's youth, a lot of youths have problems and a lot of people contemplate suicide, especially young people. I do feel sorry for these 2. I wish they could try to hang on. Can you imagine the anxiety one might have that others would kill themselves.

I'm not saying this is part of the "suicide" fad type of deal but it has certainly happened in communities where one person (usually young people) kills themselves and it sets off a bit of a chain reaction.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 09:54:45 am »
Damn, I was hoping it was Attention Hogg.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 11:55:59 am »
March 18, 2019
The Mental Health Crisis Among America’s Youth is Real—and Staggering
by Jean Twenge
The first signs of a problem started to emerge around 2014: More young people said they felt overwhelmed and depressed. College counseling centers reported sharp increases in the number of students seeking treatment for mental health issues.

Even as studies were showing increases in symptoms of depression and in suicide among adolescents since 2010, some researchers called the concerns overblown and claimed there simply isn’t enough good data to reach that conclusion.

The idea that there’s an epidemic in anxiety or depression among youth “is simply a myth,” psychiatrist Richard Friedman wrote in The New York Times last year. Others suggested young people were simply more willing to get help when they needed it. Or perhaps counseling centers’ outreach efforts were becoming more effective.

But a new analysis of a large representative survey reinforces what I – and others – have been saying: The epidemic is all too real. In fact, the increase in mental health issues among teens and young adults is nothing short of staggering. ...

... Compared with their predecessors, teens today spend less time with their friends in person and more time communicating electronically, which study after study has found is associated with mental health issues. ...
Read the entire article