Author Topic: The Supreme Court Is Not The Final Say On The Constitution  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The Supreme Court Is Not The Final Say On The Constitution

Several 2020 candidates are determined to mainstream the perverse idea of expanding the Supreme Court to achieve policy victories. Such court-packing defies the intent, function, and ideals of the American judiciary.

Americans have been told a lie about the constitutional balance of power. Despite activist assertions to the contrary, the Supreme Court is not a supreme constitutional council with the sole and final say on legal matters. We have accepted a larger than life picture of the judiciary, and it is slowly destroying individual liberty and the constitutional order laid down by the founders.

The Constitution outlines the role of the courts, but for some time they have been operating beyond their proper function. We must change how we see them, understand their appropriate role, and stop allowing the growth of power. Each new interpretation of plain text that widens the judiciary’s authority is a dangerous violation of the separation of powers. If executive overreach concerns you, judicial overreach doubly should.

To correct a few common misconceptions, the judiciary’s rulings are not the supreme law of the land, even rulings from the Supreme Court. The judiciary is not the only or even final arbiter on the Constitution. And the judiciary is not a truly co-equal branch of government...

http://thefederalist.com/2019/03/22/supreme-court-not-final-say-constitution/?utm_source=The+Federalist+List&utm_campaign=7ead94c6f9-RSS_The_Federalist_Daily_Updates_w_Transom&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_cfcb868ceb-7ead94c6f9-83773485
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Re: The Supreme Court Is Not The Final Say On The Constitution
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 02:02:46 pm »
It's time you heard it from someone other than myself!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline rustynail

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 02:15:24 pm »
A Federal Judge Is The Final Say On The Constitution and All Other Matters and Things.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 02:43:45 pm »
A Federal Judge Is The Final Say On The Constitution and All Other Matters and Things.

You didn't read the article, did you?

The only national laws are the Constitution, congressional law, and treaties. Conspicuously missing are Supreme Court decisions. While the court is known for deciding the constitutionality of laws, its decisions are not themselves laws. In the strictest sense, the opinions rendered by the Supreme Court are binding only on the parties before it.

The Supreme Court is just that, a court. It was established to adjudicate cases and controversies before it. Courts cannot make general pronouncements of law; they exist to settle disputes.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 03:34:11 pm »
Then how do you stop them?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 04:09:50 pm »
You didn't read the article, did you?

The SCOTUS has arrogated itself that power, with their willing accomplices in the leftist legal community.  The article is long on theory and short on actions to stop the usurpation.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 04:10:09 pm »

Good question. While we ponder that, how do we stop unelected bureaucrats from exceeding their authority?
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 04:51:49 pm »
Good question. While we ponder that, how do we stop unelected bureaucrats from exceeding their authority?

That's easy.   Unelected bureaucrats have their authority because Congress has delegated it to them.    Congress needs to take that authority back.   

As for the courts,  if not the courts, then who?    What is "plain text" is hardly plain in many situations, the 2A being a notorious example.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 01:05:59 am »
If 'them' means judicial, you ignore them.

They are the branch with the least enforcement power.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline mrclose

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 01:10:48 am »

UH .... NO!

@Bigun

Just sharing a simple explanation, in picture form of how our government was supposed to work.

Instead, it has become something else altogether!
(Also shown in picture form)

"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 01:11:11 am »
excellent post @Bigun

I have long believed the Constitution can be interpreted by all branches, especially not just judicial.

The Founders who drew up the document had just fought a war against an abusive unelected authority and would hardly intended to give ultimate power to another unelected authority.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 01:21:33 am »
UH .... NO!

@Bigun

Just sharing a simple explanation, in picture form of how our government was supposed to work.

Instead, it has become something else altogether!
(Also shown in picture form)

Thanks @mrclose !  That is as good a pictorial description of things as anyone is ever likely to find.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 01:31:52 am »
excellent post @Bigun

I have long believed the Constitution can be interpreted by all branches, especially not just judicial.

The Founders who drew up the document had just fought a war against an abusive unelected authority and would hardly intended to give ultimate power to another unelected authority.

@IsailedawayfromFR it has long been my contention that every single member of congress, along with the president,  were intended to take the Constitution into account in everything they do.  Every vote they cast, every bill that gets signed, every damned thing they do. There is a reason why every single one of them is required by the Constitution to swear an oath to that effect every single time they are sworn into office.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 01:41:38 am »
@IsailedawayfromFR it has long been my contention that every single member of congress, along with the president,  were intended to take the Constitution into account in everything they do.  Every vote they cast, every bill that gets signed, every damned thing they do. There is a reason why every single one of them is required by the Constitution to swear an oath to that effect every single time they are sworn into office.

Yes but you know that liberals believe they are serving their own interpretation of the Constitution.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 01:59:06 am »
Yes but you know that liberals believe they are serving their own interpretation of the Constitution.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure sorry but no!  They know damned well what they are doing and that is to undermine the foundations of this country in every way possible.   The Constitution is in their way and they would like nothing better than to do away with it entirely.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2019, 02:02:38 am »
@Weird Tolkienish Figure sorry but no!  They know damned well what they are doing and that is to undermine the foundations of this country in every way possible.   The Constitution is in their way and they would like nothing better than to do away with it entirely.

But who stops them, if for example, they have the votes to do it?

I believe that Obama had the most unanimous defeats in the SCOTUS.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2019, 02:15:55 am »
But who stops them, if for example, they have the votes to do it?

I believe that Obama had the most unanimous defeats in the SCOTUS.

We do.  We stop putting them in places where they can do damage period. We have strayed very far from the path |the founders intended for us and getting back on that path is going to be painful and time-consuming but we must do it. 

None of that is to say that the courts have no role at all.  They do and should confine themselves to conducting their business within their proper boundaries.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 01:00:09 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2019, 04:51:33 am »
That's easy.   Unelected bureaucrats have their authority because Congress has delegated it to them.    Congress needs to take that authority back.   

As for the courts,  if not the courts, then who?    What is "plain text" is hardly plain in many situations, the 2A being a notorious example.

And that Roe V Wade law.  Who the heck passed that one?

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2019, 07:19:33 am »
Good Read @Bigun and appreciated the visuals @mrclose ... Articles like this are a pleasure to run across.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2019, 09:27:48 am »
If 'them' means judicial, you ignore them.

They are the branch with the least enforcement power.

Like a certain Governor from Arkansas did in the 50's cause he didn't like a certain ruling?
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2019, 02:53:40 pm »
From the article...

In the strictest sense, the opinions rendered by the Supreme Court are binding only on the parties before it.

That's true.  And if one of the parties before the Court is the government, then the decision of the Court binds the government.

The Supreme Court is just that, a court. It was established to adjudicate cases and controversies before it. Courts cannot make general pronouncements of law; they exist to settle disputes.

That's true.  But consider the rules of precedent.  Lower court judges are bound to apply the law as interpreted by superior courts.  So, the net effect of a single decision by the Supreme Court is that every other court must follow it.  And that's how it gets applied to cases and controversies other than the specific one before the Supreme Court.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2019, 02:56:37 pm »
We do.  We stop putting them in places where they can do damage period. We have strayed very far from the path |the founders intended for us and getting back on that path is going to be painful and time-consuming but we must do it.

Yes, we have.  But that's not because of the principle of judicial review, which is perfectly appropriate under theories of originalism.   It is because those courts, and the other branches as well, have strayed from that understanding.

None of that is to say that the courts have no role at all.  They do and should confine themselves to conducting their business within their proper boundaries.

But what is business within their proper boundaries?  Are you saying that Courts should not have the power to adjudicate cases involving the other branches of government?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2019, 03:38:30 pm »

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

WHY do you people insist on continuing to support the fascist left by calling them "liberals"? They are the LEAST "liberal" people in the country,and all you do when you identify them as being liberals is to help their cause.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2019, 03:42:16 pm »
@Weird Tolkienish Figure

WHY do you people insist on continuing to support the fascist left by calling them "liberals"? They are the LEAST "liberal" people in the country,and all you do when you identify them as being liberals is to help their cause.

Pete is correct.  I post on several "neutral" sites (yeah, right  *****rollingeyes*****) and if I use the word "leftist" instead of "liberal" my posts get reported and pulled.  They are very aware of what they are doing.

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2019, 04:08:44 pm »

But what is business within their proper boundaries?  Are you saying that Courts should not have the power to adjudicate cases involving the other branches of government?
To answer your own question, here's an example of a recent case I would ask you comment on as to being within or without the court's boundaries. @Maj. Bill Martin

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,355365.msg1942959.html#msg1942959