Author Topic: Rubio to introduce legislation to keep Supreme Court at 9 seats  (Read 1159 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rubio to introduce legislation to keep Supreme Court at 9 seats
By Jordain Carney - 03/20/19 10:03 AM EDT

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) said Wednesday he plans to introduce a constitutional amendment to limit the Supreme Court to nine justices after some Democrats have floated expanding the number of seats on the high court.

"To prevent the delegitimizing of the Supreme Court, I will introduce a constitutional amendment to keep the number of seats at nine," Rubio wrote in a Fox News op-ed published Wednesday.

"There is nothing magical about the number nine. It is not inherently right just because the number of seats on the Supreme Court remains unchanged since 1869. But there is something inherently good and important about preventing the further destabilization of essential institutions," Rubio added.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/434888-rubio-to-introduce-legislation-to-keep-supreme-court-at-nine-seats
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Rubio to introduce legislation to keep Supreme Court at 9 seats
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 03:05:16 pm »
"We are suffering a crisis of confidence and we cannot withstand further erosion of trust in one another and our institutions.The rhetoric used by some of my Democratic colleagues that suggests our institutions are increasingly unable to resolve modern society’s conflicts is dangerous," he added.

No man has done more to damage American institutions than President Donald J Trump.  Well played comrade Putin.

Online libertybele

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 04:23:09 pm »
Good move from Little Marco.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 04:29:46 pm »
A true representative of the people, I commend Rubio, not backed up by deep pockets and an Ivy league education and backed by elitiists but just like the rest of us. Mother worked the night shift as a cashier at K-mart, Marco got a football scholarship to Tarkio college in Missouri.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 04:42:57 pm »
This is a very good move.  The argument is pretty clear -- you could end up with a destabilization of the entire judiciary as successive Administrations keep increasing the number of justice to obtain a majority.

Of course, I don't think most Democrats will find it persuasive because they believe they are likely to get obtain and keep power over the political branches, so they don't have to worry about the GOP doing this to them in the future anyway.  But it is still a good idea to make the attempt.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 04:55:17 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 04:43:42 pm »
A true representative of the people, I commend Rubio, not backed up by deep pockets and an Ivy league education and backed by elitiists but just like the rest of us. Mother worked the night shift as a cashier at K-mart, Marco got a football scholarship to Tarkio college in Missouri.
Agreed.  Rubio is a GOP asset.  He was top 5 in 2016 for me and I would look forward to voting again if he was on the ticket.  I'd vote for Rubio for President because he's smart, I like his character. 

Offline TomSea

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 04:50:17 pm »
I follow Rubio closely, I know he's made some mistakes at these Senate hearings he's been at. I don't find the errors to be material.

To be honest. I'm just looking at things in the now. He's a bit of a hawk. I don't care to see the US get involved in some quagmire....otoh, perhaps places like Venezuela do need a coalition to go in. We will see. We don't need their dictator to be there for the next 20 years. Some real suffering is going on.

I know Rubio makes errors, those Uighur Muslims being imprisoned in China (Xiangxiang province), he said their history was peaceful. I call wrong on that. There is a history of at least, some strife there. I do not know the extent though.

We've got to learn, we can disagree without our opposition then, becoming our mortal enemy, disagreements are that. Some Republican Senators still partner with Democrat Senators on bills. Rubio did it with Menendez per foreign policy. One doesn't have to agree on every single thing.  We can not be losing this in this country.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 04:51:46 pm by TomSea »

Online libertybele

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 05:08:18 pm »

Really?  Neither of Rubio's parents was a U.S. citizen at the time of Rubio's birth!!!  Sorry, I have a problem with birthright citizenship when neither parent is a U.S. citizen.

Secondly, he voted and went along with the Gang of 8.  NO.  He is NOT like the rest of us.

I commend and applaud him on this piece of legislation that he introduced.  Granted he is very articulate and when he first surfaced in FL as a GOP conservative I was hopeful.  That hope rapidly diminished when he showed his true colors and joined the Gang of 8.

Rubio is wishy washy.  When he lost to Trump in FL, he clearly made it known that he was leaving politics. Ron DeSantis jumped into the Senate race to fill his seat ... then Rubio decided to come back into politics.  Thankfully DeSantis is now our governor.  So far he is making an excellent governor as I felt he would.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 05:12:58 pm »
This is a very good move.  The argument is pretty clear -- you could end up with a destabilization of the entire judiciary as successive Administrations keep increasing the number of justice to obtain a majority.

Of course, I don't think most Democrats will find it persuasive because they believe they are likely to get obtain and keep power over the political branches, so they don't have to worry about the GOP doing this to them in the future anyway.
@Maj. Bill Martin
I agree with your first paragraph, this would be a terrible time...with so many people so divided from their fellow American...for either tribe to pack the court, but if the rats won't pass it, why does this bill matter at all? 

The GOP can't pass it on their own.

Perhaps it would matter if Rubio won the Presidency, and he could point to it as a signature issue, but look at Trump.  His #1 issue was building a southern Wall.  He had GOP majorities in the Congress for 2 years but it didn't really become important until it couldn't happen after the 2018 elections.

Same thing for repealing Obamacare. 

Same thing for obscene Federal Spending.

Same thing for draining the swamp. 

IMO almost nothing has been done for the last 8 years of GOP Congressional majorities, and 2 years of a Trump Presidency.  Actual accomplishments are undone with the next party takeover.

How long is "at least it's the GOP raping me" enough to keep you voting?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 05:20:43 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin

Perhaps it would matter if Rubio won the Presidency, and he could point to it as a signature issue, but look at Trump....

It matters even if Rubio does not win the Presidency, and even if it never becomes law.  Some proposals are valuable because they force politicians into taking stances on which voters can judge them fairly.  This may be one of those provisions.  Perhaps it does pass despite anticipated opposition from the left.  But even if it doesn't, it is likely to be either 1) divide Democrats internally, making them less electable, or 2) make some moderates/independents less likely to vote for those Democrats.  I view either outcome as preferable to doing nothing.

Potential upside, no downside...that's the exact kind of action that deserves support.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 05:22:38 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 05:23:32 pm »
This should be something that even those "RINOS" should be able to vote for, Collins, Murkowski and no disrespect meant, Romney and a few others.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 05:25:17 pm »
It matters even if Rubio does not win the Presidency, and even if it never becomes law.  Some proposals are valuable because they force politicians into taking stances on which voters can judge them fairly.  This may be one of those provisions.  Perhaps it does pass despite anticipated opposition from the left.  But even if it doesn't, it is likely to be either 1) divide Democrats internally, making them less electable, or 2) make some moderates/independents less likely to vote for those Democrats.  I view either outcome as preferable to doing nothing.

Potential upside, no downside...that's the exact kind of action that deserves support.

The highlighted part is why McConnell will probably never let the proposed Amendment see the light of day.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 05:31:52 pm »
The highlighted part is why McConnell will probably never let the proposed Amendment see the light of day.

Oh, I think McConnell will certainly let this one come up for a vote.  It would be very popular among Republicans, and would only put Democrats into a squeeze.

Online libertybele

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 05:45:38 pm »
Oh, I think McConnell will certainly let this one come up for a vote.  It would be very popular among Republicans, and would only put Democrats into a squeeze.

...hmmm... I couldn't find his intro of this bill or any bill related??  Anyone able to find it??

Offline TomSea

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 05:47:49 pm »

Really?  Neither of Rubio's parents was a U.S. citizen at the time of Rubio's birth!!!  Sorry, I have a problem with birthright citizenship when neither parent is a U.S. citizen.

Secondly, he voted and went along with the Gang of 8.  NO.  He is NOT like the rest of us.

I commend and applaud him on this piece of legislation that he introduced.  Granted he is very articulate and when he first surfaced in FL as a GOP conservative I was hopeful.  That hope rapidly diminished when he showed his true colors and joined the Gang of 8.

Rubio is wishy washy.  When he lost to Trump in FL, he clearly made it known that he was leaving politics. Ron DeSantis jumped into the Senate race to fill his seat ... then Rubio decided to come back into politics.  Thankfully DeSantis is now our governor.  So far he is making an excellent governor as I felt he would.

We are not getting any kind of a hard core immigration deal that you want. In fact, with what you want we get nothing at all and a higher likelihood that illegal immigrants can become legal citizens.

If Rubio did not have NBC, he would not have been eligible to run. This wasn't even brought up during the campaign.

Again, Miami Herald looked into this question with both Cruz and Rubio:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/election/marco-rubio/article63854902.html

The way you fawn over Cruz and the questions of this NBC issue, seems to make it that you showed you were willing to criticize Rubio very quickly when this has been much more of an issue with the Canada-born Cruz.

Rubio comes through a more natural upbringing than someone whom Boy Jorge did much to bring into the scene.

I'm sure, I can find something about every Senator practically and claim they are being wishy-washy.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 05:48:16 pm »
The article says Rubio "plans" to introduce the resolution.  Doesn't say that he's finished drafting it and has done so.

Online libertybele

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 05:49:12 pm »
The article says Rubio "plans" to introduce the resolution.  Doesn't say that he's finished drafting it and has done so.

Gottcha.  Thanks!

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 05:56:17 pm »

Good points

Offline TomSea

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 05:56:29 pm »
Really, so Rubio was part of the gang of 8, then you just wish to key in on divisiveness:

When Ted Cruz Helped Craft Bush's Immigration Reform Plan

Republican critics now scoff at the Texan's opposition to a pathway to citizenship because they know his history.
Beth ReinhardNational Journal
May 23, 2013

In 2000, Ted Cruz was known as a Texas-raised, Harvard-trained domestic policy adviser to the George W. Bush campaign. Bush was a two-term governor from a border state who was determined to fix what he saw as a broken, inhumane immigration system.

Cruz helped craft the campaign's immigration policy, which called for speeding up the application process, increasing the number of work visas, and allowing the relatives of permanent residents to visit the U.S. while their applicants were pending. "Family values don't stop at the Rio Grande," Bush used to say.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/05/when-ted-cruz-helped-craft-bushs-immigration-reform-plan/276167/

I'd think we all knew this but for some reason, we have to go through this again.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 05:57:36 pm »

Mr. "Gang of Eight" may not even intend to introduce it.  He has to protect his friends on the other side of the aisle.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online libertybele

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 06:11:11 pm »
Mr. "Gang of Eight" may not even intend to introduce it.  He has to protect his friends on the other side of the aisle.

True.  What he says and what he does have proven to be two different things.  Also ... if he introduces the bill and it passes the Senate, it would likely fail in the House, which in thinking what you said may be exactly his intent.

Online libertybele

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2019, 06:12:15 pm »
Really, so Rubio was part of the gang of 8, then you just wish to key in on divisiveness:

I'd think we all knew this but for some reason, we have to go through this again.

...most of us know the whole story.  Next.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 06:29:18 pm »

"Gangs" in the Senate are always formed to create majorities for Bills that would not otherwise exist.  You may say "uniting," I choose to say they are "divisive" because it drives a wedge between the DeeCee politicians and the people who voted for them.  That's why I don't like "Gangs" in the Senate. 

"Gangs," almost without exception, are designed to force Republicans to agree to Democrat objectives.  Rubio's "Gang of Eight" was not an exception to this rule of thumb.  That's not compromise, it's capitulation.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2019, 06:59:45 pm »
True.  What he says and what he does have proven to be two different things.  Also ... if he introduces the bill and it passes the Senate, it would likely fail in the House, which in thinking what you said may be exactly his intent.

The thing is that I don't see a motivation for him to not want this to pass.  He's voted for all the GOP Supreme Court nominees, and he was a vote against Gardner.  There's not a hint, anyhere, that he would be in favor of a scheme to help Democrats pack the court.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2019, 07:24:49 pm »
The thing is that I don't see a motivation for him to not want this to pass.  He's voted for all the GOP Supreme Court nominees, and he was a vote against Gardner.  There's not a hint, anyhere, that he would be in favor of a scheme to help Democrats pack the court.

I see plenty of motivation.  He's from a state that has a large leftist population so he has a tightrope he has to walk if he wants to hold on to his sinecure.  That means a lot of talking out of both of his faces.
I will NOT comply.