Author Topic: The Pernicious Notion of “Unenumerated Rights”  (Read 906 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The Pernicious Notion of “Unenumerated Rights”
« on: March 12, 2019, 03:14:19 pm »
The Pernicious Notion of “Unenumerated Rights”
MARCH 12, 2019  BY MARK PULLIAM

The recent 60 Minutes segment on Juliana v. United States, the lawsuit now pending in an Oregon federal court, in which environmental activists assert a constitutional right to be free from climate change, perfectly illustrated Sen. Josh Hawley’s concern about federal judges who embrace the doctrine of “substantive due process.” Many Americans properly scoff at the idea that there are constitutional rights to things that are not actually set forth in the Constitution, such as the “right to a climate system capable of sustaining human life,” as Judge Ann Aiken, appointed by President Bill Clinton, ruled in Juliana. But once judges free themselves of the constraints of constitutional text, anything is possible: the “right” of a convicted murderer to have a sex-change operation at taxpayer expense, the “right” to same-sex marriage (Obergefell), the “right” to an abortion (Roe v. Wade), and so on, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

Perhaps some activist judge in California or another rogue state will rule that the Green New Deal is required by the Constitution. This is not mere idle speculation. With the encouragement of a progressive professoriate, the body of judge-made constitutional law now abounds with so-called “unenumerated” (or unwritten) rights, a polite way of describing the process of pretending that the Left’s desired policy outcomes are dictated by the Constitution—and therefore enforceable by federal judges—when in fact they are not. Judicial activism—concocting phony constitutional rights–is a serious threat to representative self-government, yet is rarely discussed even though it occurs in plain view on a daily basis in federal courtrooms across America.

The topic of constitutional law tends to become the exclusive domain of lawyers and academics, because it is perceived to be too technical for the informed layman to understand. Unfortunately, the resulting lack of transparency and public engagement has allowed this vitally-important subject to be hijacked by obscurantists with their own agenda—aggrandizement of the judiciary and implementation of a leftist political agenda. For decades—beginning during the New Deal, but accelerating dramatically under the Warren Court in the 1960s—the Supreme Court has simply invented many “rights” that do not actually appear in the Constitution, in the process granting the federal government sweeping powers that the Founding Fathers never intended.

The federal courts, comprised of unelected, life-tenured judges often drawn from the progressive ranks of Ivy League law schools, have arrogated to themselves control over many political decisions that once were, and properly should remain, the exclusive province of the states. Invoking a few inapt phrases out of context—especially “due process” and “equal protection”—our black-robed masters have constructed an edifice of constitutional law that bears little resemblance to the document written by the Founding Fathers in Philadelphia in 1787. A constitutional system whose authority derives from “we the people” has become instead a swollen behemoth—a Leviathan. The Framers’ vision of a decentralized and self-governing republic has been lost in the fetid swamp of Washington, D.C.

Much more at title link!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: The Pernicious Notion of “Unenumerated Rights”
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 06:47:34 pm »
FTA:

The topic of constitutional law tends to become the exclusive domain of lawyers and academics, because it is perceived to be too technical for the informed layman to understand.

@Bigun  Does this remind you of anybody?   888mouth
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 07:06:25 pm »
FTA:

@Bigun  Does this remind you of anybody?   888mouth

Yes indeed!  I think I've heard that or something similar from a couple of folks before somewhere but the writer here is warning us against that I think.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 07:08:12 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 07:14:31 pm »
Yes indeed!  I think I've heard that or something similar from a couple of folks before somewhere but the writer here is warning us against that I think.

Yes, this article runs contrary to all the assurances we're too stupid and need to defer to our betters, all while sounding like Long John Silver's pet parrot.

Clever lawyers have erected a Tower of Babel and expect us to be OK with that.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 07:20:17 pm »
Hmm.........aren't unenumerated rights similar to unenumerated commandments?????
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 07:25:27 pm by Absalom »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 07:34:00 pm »
Yes, this article runs contrary to all the assurances we're too stupid and need to defer to our betters, all while sounding like Long John Silver's pet parrot.

Clever lawyers have erected a Tower of Babel and expect us to be OK with that.

“No political truth is certainly of greater intrinsic value, or is stamped with the authority of more enlightened patrons of liberty, than that on which the objection is founded. The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in the same hands, whether of one, a few, or many, and whether hereditary, self appointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny. Were the federal Constitution, therefore, really chargeable with the accumulation of power, or with a mixture of powers, having a dangerous tendency to such an accumulation, no further arguments would be necessary to inspire a universal reprobation of the system. I persuade myself, however, that it will be made apparent to everyone that the charge cannot be supported, and that the maxim on which it relies has been totally misconceived and misapplied. In order to form correct ideas on this important subject, it will be proper to investigate the sense in which the preservation of liberty requires that the three great departments of power should be separate and distinct.”

Federalist #47 [James Madison]

I can think of only one group currently who would fit Mr. Madison's warning.  Can you guess who they may be @Cyber Liberty?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 07:36:25 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 07:51:26 pm »

Federalist #47 [James Madison]

I can think of only one group currently who would fit Mr. Madison's warning.  Can you guess who they may be @Cyber Liberty?

The people telling us we're too stupid to ever understand what they're up to?
I will NOT comply.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 08:10:24 pm »
Like Gruber explaining his Obamacare.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 08:10:37 pm »
The people telling us we're too stupid to ever understand what they're up to?

I'd say that would be a damned good guess!

IMHO it is a patent conflict of interest for practicing lawyers to serve in the legislatures.  They are all officers of the court and thus members of the judicial branch of government. It is impossible to have three separate and distinct branches of government with lawyers serving in at least two (sometimes in the past it has been all three) branches.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 08:12:01 pm »
I'd say that would be a damned good guess!

IMHO it is a patent conflict of interest for practicing lawyers to serve in the legislatures.  They are all officers of the court and thus members of the judicial branch of government. It is impossible to have three separate and distinct branches of government with lawyers serving in at least two (sometimes in the past it has been all three) branches.

:amen:
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 08:19:53 pm »
:amen:

@To-Whose-Benefit?

Back when William Jefferson Clintoon was President I wrote a LONG piece on this that I posted over at TOS. It won an award from the lady who was handing them out over there at the time and set off a real live shit storm. Can't find the original now, guess it got lost through about three computer transitions since, but you got the gist of it.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 08:23:43 pm »
Hmm.........aren't unenumerated rights similar to unenumerated commandments?????

Here's the similarity.  Unenumerated commandments can't be found in the Bible just as unenumerated rights can't be found in the Constitution.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline skeeter

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 08:40:13 pm »
Finding unenumerated rights is bad enough but the left has to go and unenumerate enumerated rights as well.

They need to just drop the effing pretense and admit they have no intention of being constrained by the US Constitution.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 08:42:05 pm »
Finding unenumerated rights is bad enough but the left has to go and unenumerate enumerated rights as well.

They need to just drop the effing pretense and admit they have no intention of being constrained by the US Constitution.

For whatever it's worth, I think they have already done just exactly that!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 09:31:37 pm »
@Bigun

How many of us have ever even Considered that Seperation of Powers observation?

So prominent and yet unremarked?

Truly Well Done Sir!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 09:40:52 pm »
@Bigun

How many of us have ever even Considered that Seperation of Powers observation?

So prominent and yet unremarked?

Truly Well Done Sir!

Yes.  And the only group that could has taken full advantage of the oversight..

Thanks for the complement.  I hope you are doing well on the road to a full recovery.    :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 10:14:52 pm »

Bill Cipher

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 10:40:29 pm »
So I guess the ninth amendment didn’t really mean what it said. 

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 10:54:38 pm »
So I guess the ninth amendment didn’t really mean what it said.

Madison's point in drafting Amendment IX was that the Bill of Rights should never be used as a means of expanding federal power, but only a means to restrict it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-