Author Topic: Voter ID Not a Deterrent for Voters. New study exposes the rift between reality and the narrative.  (Read 588 times)

rangerrebew

New study exposes the rift between reality and the narrative.
By: Jeff Charles March 04, 2019Articles, Ignored by MSM, Law, The Constitution0

by Jeff Charles

A study debunking the progressive left’s oft-repeated arguments about voter I.D. laws has recently been released, and it doesn’t look too good for the race-baiting class. In fact, if the American public were to become aware of the results, the far-left would lose one of their favorite “conservatives are racist” tropes. However, the report also casts doubt on the claims made by conservatives on the issue.

The commonly-accepted progressive liturgy on voter I.D. laws states that checking identification at the polls is nothing more than an insidious plan to prevent poor, hapless minorities from casting their votes on election day. Even though the majority of Americans support the implementation of voter I.D. laws, the progressive left persists in spinning their usual yarns about bigotry and the myriad evils of white males. On the other side, conservatives argue that these laws are necessary for preventing election fraud. But according to the new study, both sides might be wrong.

https://www.libertynation.com/voter-id-not-a-deterrent-for-voters/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 02:43:41 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Title:
"Voter ID Not a Deterrent for Voters..."

It never was.

It IS, however, a deterrent to vote fraud.
And that's why the democrat-communists oppose it so vehemently.

BassWrangler

It IS, however, a deterrent to vote fraud.

Not according to the article.Did you read it?

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Who Cares?

How about a New Study of WHY ALL of these New Studies on this and so much more are never Acted Upon.

Instead we just do another New Study.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 02:52:19 am by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Online goatprairie

The idea (no pun intended) that voter ID laws were inhibiting minorities from voting was always a crock.
I'll bet that most  minorities have plenty of ID when they go purchase liquor or go get their gov. sponsored goodies.
What adult who is not a crook and has an IQ above turnip level does not have an ID?

Offline Victoria33

@rangerrebew
@mystery-ak
@roamer_1
@Cyber Liberty
@bigheadfred
@QueenCatofAragon

I'll write about this and post it by early afternoon, between 1 and 2 pm. I worked with the Texas Republican Party about Voter ID and all election laws.  I had workshops in numerous Texas counties, teaching the Texas Election Law and part of that was instructing about Voter ID.  I did that instruction for ten years.  My seminars stopped in 2011, but I kept up with changes in election law after that as doing something for ten years makes one want to know what happened next.

Offline Victoria33

@rangerrebew
@mystery-ak
@roamer_1
@Cyber Liberty
@bigheadfred
@QueenCatofAragon
@Quix

Had to deal with something at home, so just now posting this:

I was looking for something in a folder and found a Certificate of Appreciation given me by the Republican National Committee in 2005.  It is fancy with gold letters, and original signatures of Cheney and Bush.  The wording is:

Republican National Committee
                       Certificate of Appreciation
Presented in grateful acknowledgement of the personal commitment made by
                          Marcella Derrick
To advance the principles of the Republican Party;

To continue to build our Party’s strong grassroots network nationwide;

And to support President Bush’s compassionate conservative agenda for America.

As a Sustaining Member of the Republican National Committee, Marcella Derrick has demonstrated selfless devotion to the cause of limited government, lower taxes, and individual freedom and personal responsibility as the foundations of American Government.

In grateful recognition of distinguished service, this Certificate of Appreciation in hereby granted this 18th day of March, in the year two thousand and five.

Signed by:  Dick Cheney   Signed by:  George W. Bush
Signed by : Ken Mehlman, RNC Chairman

That more than ten-year experience in the Texas Election Code which ended in 2011, and I kept up with changes in the Code until this present time, allows me to speak about the conduct of elections with accuracy.

Now to the article:
I read the article:
1.  “Enrico Cantoni at the University of Bologna and Vincent Pons from Harvard Business School conducted a study analyzing voter turnout in U.S. states that require identification at the voting booth over an eight-year period. According to the study, ‘Strict ID laws have no significant negative effect on registration or turnout, overall or for any subgroup defined by age, gender, race, or party affiliation.’”
“Strict ID laws”.  We don’t know what Cantoni and Pons meant by “Strict ID laws”.  That one statement tells me the study was faulty as “Strict” means nothing.  Did they check people who voted with only Voter ID, or Picture ID or both?  Since they didn’t identify what they meant, they were not acceptable researchers.

“Strict ID laws have no significant negative effect on registration…“
They used Texas as an example so I will use our law concerning how registration happens. 
A “person” fills out an application to become a voter.  The county clerk or election administrator takes the application – that does not mean the person will become a voter, as the application must be processed to determine if the person is a legal citizen residing physically in that county.  An illegal could fill out the application, checking the Yes box, “Are you a United States Citizen?

Also, when one must go to a Texas Highway Dept. office to get or renew a driver’s license, and is not a voter, the voter may request their information they give to the Dept., be forwarded to the Secretary of State, Elections Division, to become a voter. The applications given to the county clerk/election administration and the application forwarded by The Texas Highway dept., all go to the Secretary of State, Elections Division, to be checked.  That department has access to death certificates, passports, addresses, criminal records, etc. to determine if the person is qualified to become a voter.  Once that is determined, the county of the person is notified to accept or deny the person as a voter. The researches don’t know how a potential voter becomes a voter.  Yes, using their phrase, “Strict ID laws”, DOES HAVE a “significant negative effect on registration” and they say it doesn’t.  They don’t know how voter registration happens.

2.  Quoting form the article, “This finding isn’t too shocking when one considers deception involving illegal immigrants that occurred in Texas during the midterm elections. Investigative reporting outfit Project Veritas revealed that in several cases, illegal aliens were allowed to cast votes without showing I.D., despite the fact that the Lone Star State requires it. Laws are only effective when people obey them.”  “Cantoni and Pons also found that laws regarding identification at the polls are not effective at curbing voter fraud. After looking at documented cases of election fraud in states that have voter I.D. laws, they discovered that requiring the electorate to show identification does not prevent fraudulent activity.”

The researchers do not know about “Provisional Ballots”.  Just because a voter is allowed to vote, does not mean the vote is counted.

In 2002, after the Florida problem with the Gore/Bush election, the federal government passed the “Help America Vote Act” (HAVA).  Part of that law was implementation of the “Provisional Ballot”.  Anyone who comes into a voting precinct to vote, may vote.  If the person’s name is not on the voter list, or the person is in the wrong precinct, or has no ID of any kind, the person may vote – a Provisional Ballot.  The ballot is a paper ballot and all Provisional Ballots go to the Early Voting Ballot Board to be examined the next day or next several days, to determine if the voter is a valid voter.  I was the judge of our Early Voting Ballot Board for ten years and no Provisional Ballot was counted during those years. 

The searchers say some illegals aliens were allowed to vote in Texas without showing an ID. Again, If a person is insistent he/she votes, the judge may allow him/her to vote a Provisional Ballot.  If that person is not a registered voter, the Early Voting Ballot Board will throw it out.  Their "in several cases (in Texas), illegal aliens were allowed to cast votes without showing I.D." Those ballots had to be Provisional Ballots and they were thrown out.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 02:40:14 am by Victoria33 »

Bill Cipher

Not according to the article.Did you read it?

Actually, the evidence for this the article referred to was evidence where illegals in a mandatory ID state were nonetheless allowed to vote without showing ID.

So what the study shows is that if ID laws aren’t enforced punctiliously, then they don’t have much effect on voter fraud, which sort of stands to reason.

What’s needed is a better focus on whether ID laws, if fully enforced, deter a meaningful amount of fraud, even if they don’t fully get rid of it. 

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
@Victoria33

That is really nice..I bet you treasure that..

All I ever got was 6 Christmas cards from Bush which were all chewed up by a pup that got a hold of them...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline QueenCatofAragon

@rangerrebew
@mystery-ak
@roamer_1
@Cyber Liberty
@bigheadfred
@QueenCatofAragon
@Quix

Had to deal with something at home, so just now posting this:

I was looking for something in a folder and found a Certificate of Appreciation given me by the Republican National Committee in 2005.  It is fancy with gold letters, and original signatures of Cheney and Bush.  The wording is:

Republican National Committee
                       Certificate of Appreciation
Presented in grateful acknowledgement of the personal commitment made by
                          Marcella Derrick
To advance the principles of the Republican Party;

To continue to build our Party’s strong grassroots network nationwide;

And to support President Bush’s compassionate conservative agenda for America.

As a Sustaining Member of the Republican National Committee, Marcella Derrick has demonstrated selfless devotion to the cause of limited government, lower taxes, and individual freedom and personal responsibility as the foundations of American Government.

In grateful recognition of distinguished service, this Certificate of Appreciation in hereby granted this 18th day of March, in the year two thousand and five.

Signed by:  Dick Cheney   Signed by:  George W. Bush
Signed by : Ken Mehlman, RNC Chairman

That more than ten-year experience in the Texas Election Code which ended in 2011, and I kept up with changes in the Code until this present time, allows me to speak about the conduct of elections with accuracy.

Now to the article:
I read the article:
1.  “Enrico Cantoni at the University of Bologna and Vincent Pons from Harvard Business School conducted a study analyzing voter turnout in U.S. states that require identification at the voting booth over an eight-year period. According to the study, ‘Strict ID laws have no significant negative effect on registration or turnout, overall or for any subgroup defined by age, gender, race, or party affiliation.’”
“Strict ID laws”.  We don’t know what Cantoni and Pons meant by “Strict ID laws”.  That one statement tells me the study was faulty as “Strict” means nothing.  Did they check people who voted with only Voter ID, or Picture ID or both?  Since they didn’t identify what they meant, they were not acceptable researchers.

“Strict ID laws have no significant negative effect on registration…“
They used Texas as an example so I will use our law concerning how registration happens. 
A “person” fills out an application to become a voter.  The county clerk or election administrator takes the application – that does not mean the person will become a voter, as the application must be processed to determine if the person is a legal citizen residing physically in that county.  An illegal could fill out the application, checking the Yes box, “Are you a United States Citizen?

Also, when one must go to a Texas Highway Dept. office to get or renew a driver’s license, and is not a voter, the voter may request their information they give to the Dept., be forwarded to the Secretary of State, Elections Division, to become a voter. The applications given to the county clerk/election administration and the application forwarded by The Texas Highway dept., all go to the Secretary of State, Elections Division, to be checked.  That department has access to death certificates, passports, addresses, criminal records, etc. to determine if the person is qualified to become a voter.  Once that is determined, the county of the person is notified to accept or deny the person as a voter. The researches don’t know how a potential voter becomes a voter.  Yes, using their phrase, “Strict ID laws”, DOES HAVE a “significant negative effect on registration” and they say it doesn’t.  They don’t know how voter registration happens.

2.  Quoting form the article, “This finding isn’t too shocking when one considers deception involving illegal immigrants that occurred in Texas during the midterm elections. Investigative reporting outfit Project Veritas revealed that in several cases, illegal aliens were allowed to cast votes without showing I.D., despite the fact that the Lone Star State requires it. Laws are only effective when people obey them.”  “Cantoni and Pons also found that laws regarding identification at the polls are not effective at curbing voter fraud. After looking at documented cases of election fraud in states that have voter I.D. laws, they discovered that requiring the electorate to show identification does not prevent fraudulent activity.”

The researchers do not know about “Provisional Ballots”.  Just because a voter is allowed to vote, does not mean the vote is counted.

In 2002, after the Florida problem with the Gore/Bush election, the federal government passed the “Help America Vote Act” (HAVA).  Part of that law was implantation of the “Provisional Ballot”.  Anyone who comes into a voting precinct to vote, may vote.  If the person’s name is not on the voter list, or the person is in the wrong precinct, or has no ID of any kind, the person may vote – a Provisional Ballot.  The ballot is a paper ballot and all Provisional Ballots go to the Early Voting Ballot Board to be examined the next day or next several days, to determine if the voter is a valid voter.  I was the judge of our Early Voting Ballot Board for ten years and no Provisional Ballot was counted during those years. 

The searchers say some illegals aliens were allowed to vote in Texas without showing an ID. Again, If a person is insistent he/she votes, the judge may allow him/her to vote a Provisional Ballot.  If that person is not a registered voter, the Early Voting Ballot Board will throw it out.  Their "in several cases (in Texas), illegal aliens were allowed to cast votes without showing I.D." Those ballots had to be Provisional Ballots and they were thrown out.

@Victoria33

That's extremely cool.  I would probably take it out to look at it now and then, lol.

I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline Victoria33

@QueenCatofAragon

I was organizing files, combining some files, and found this award I forgot I had.
Maybe I should frame it.
I got an invitation to each inauguration of Bush and Christmas cards every year. I kept the inauguration ones but not sure where they are.  When you do the same thing for ten years, the pile grows.

Offline QueenCatofAragon

@QueenCatofAragon

I was organizing files, combining some files, and found this award I forgot I had.
Maybe I should frame it.
I got an invitation to each inauguration of Bush and Christmas cards every year. I kept the inauguration ones but not sure where they are.  When you do the same thing for ten years, the pile grows.

@Victoria33

My in-laws have some inaugural invitations—they’re all framed, lol.
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline Victoria33

@Victoria33

My in-laws have some inaugural invitations—they’re all framed, lol.
@QueenCatofAragon

I will do errands today and there is a Hobby Lobby near us so will take the certificate and find a frame.

Offline QueenCatofAragon

@QueenCatofAragon

I will do errands today and there is a Hobby Lobby near us so will take the certificate and find a frame.

@Victoria33

We don’t have a Hobby Lobby anywhere near, but my sister-in-law dragged me out of town to one.  She promised I would love it.  I thought, “Okay, whatever, it’s just a craft store.” 

WHOA.  Wrong.

That place is amazing.  It’s like a Twilight Zone episode—-you can wander forever among all the wonderful stuff and never come to the end.  Even great furniture.

We’re going to redo the house, and I see a lot of trips to that Hobby Lobby.