Author Topic: Trump Is Right on Venezuela, But It May End Badly - Hal Brands  (Read 396 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Trump Is Right on Venezuela, But It May End Badly
By Hal Brands

Donald Trump almost certainly doesn’t want to invade Venezuela. Despite ominous official statements about keeping all options on the table, a president who has repeatedly announced his intent to end America’s “endless wars” is presumably not itching to start another messy military conflict.

Instead, the administration is pursuing a strategy that blends coercive diplomacy with brinksmanship in an effort to break Nicolas Maduro’s hold on power. That strategy represents a fairly reasonable approach to addressing an intensifying moral, diplomatic and geopolitical crisis. But it also comes with risks that are themselves intensifying.

Years of mismanagement have the Venezuelan economy in free-fall, causing vast refugee flows, terrible human suffering and fears of mass starvation. The Maduro regime has become steadily more repressive and violent. Venezuela has become a principal foothold for Chinese, Russian, Iranian and Cuban influence in Latin America. It is neither surprising nor inappropriate that the Trump administration is pushing for Maduro’s ouster and a return to democratic rule.

Read more at: https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-03-05/venezuela-crisis-trump-s-doing-the-right-thing
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 07:36:27 pm by TomSea »

Offline Victoria33

Re: Trump Is Right on Venezuela, But It May End Badly - Hal Brands
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 08:06:09 pm »
@mystery-ak
@roamer_1
@Cyber Liberty
@bigheadfred

Bob, the geologist/earth scientist who shares this house with me, searched for oil around the world, including Venezuela.  This was when that country was first into the oil business.  Bob went there numerous times to help the country's main oil drilling company (do not know what the name was at that time and he isn't here for me to ask), understand/do the seismic work to find the oil. 

He can't believe the people are now starving as he remembers a country full of great food, plantations producing fruits, excellent and plentiful beef, masses of vegetables, people working and having a great life with all they needed.  Truly, every time he hears the condition now, he says something about the way it used to be.  He can't accept the way it is, makes him sad.

When one lives a long time, looking back in time, is the history now put in history books.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 08:12:01 pm »
@mystery-ak
@roamer_1
@Cyber Liberty
@bigheadfred

Bob, the geologist/earth scientist who shares this house with me, searched for oil around the world, including Venezuela.  This was when that country was first into the oil business.  Bob went there numerous times to help the country's main oil drilling company (do not know what the name was at that time and he isn't here for me to ask), understand/do the seismic work to find the oil. 

He can't believe the people are now starving as he remembers a country full of great food, plantations producing fruits, excellent and plentiful beef, masses of vegetables, people working and having a great life with all they needed.  Truly, every time he hears the condition now, he says something about the way it used to be.  He can't accept the way it is, makes him sad.

When one lives a long time, looking back in time, is the history now put in history books.

My SIL is from Venezuela. My older brother met her when he was working there for an Ag company from Florida. Her mom and other family are there. My brother and she send what aid/money they can. I haven't spoken to him in a while.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 09:01:23 pm »
@mystery-ak
@roamer_1
@Cyber Liberty
@bigheadfred

I only recently, and only for a short time, had a Venezuelan restaurant nearby and I got to enjoy some of that.  The Plantains are yummy!  The cuisine is amazing.

@Victoria33
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: