Author Topic: Trump on Otto Warmbier's death: Kim Jong Un wasn't to blame  (Read 1030 times)

Offline LottieDah

Re: Trump on Otto Warmbier's death: Kim Jong Un wasn't to blame
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 10:57:35 pm »
Talk about passing the buck.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Nobody wants to sell the poor kid short.
President Trump, Kim Jong Un, and Otto Warmbier: Separating facts from rumors
Jordan Schachtel

President Trump is taking a lot of heat from across the political spectrum after telling the media Thursday in Vietnam that he believed North Korean leader Kim Jong Un when the dictator claimed he was not aware of mistreatment of Otto Warmbier. Otto Warmbier was an American college student who was imprisoned in North Korea after Pyongyang authorities convicted him of stealing a propaganda poster from the hotel where he was staying. He was later sentenced, absurdly, to 15 years in jail and hard labor for his “crime.” He died shortly after being released to the United States.

“He felt badly about it. He felt very badly,” President Trump said of Kim Jong Un at a news conference in Hanoi Thursday. “He tells me that he didn’t know about it, and I will take him at his word,” he added.

“I did speak about it, but I don’t believe he would have allowed that to happen,” the president said of Warmbier’s death. “It just wasn’t to his advantage to allow that to happen.”

Read more at: https://www.conservativereview.com/news/president-trump-kim-jong-un-otto-warmbier-separating-facts-rumors/

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
"We have been respectful during this summit process. Now we must speak out. Kim and his evil regime are responsible for the death of our son Otto. Kim and his evil regime are responsible for unimaginable cruelty and inhumanity. No excuses or lavish praise can change that. Thank you," Fred and Cindy Warmbier said in a statement provided to CNN. 

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/03/01/politics/otto-warmbier-family-trump-north-korea/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
U.S. President Donald Trump, who left Vietnam Thursday after failing to reach a deal on denuclearization with North Korean Leader Kim Jong-un, said he believes Kim was not aware that American Jewish college student Otto Warmbier was in such bad shape.

Warmbier was detained in the country for over a year and died shortly after he was returned home in June 2017 from North Korea in a coma.

Trump told reporters on Thursday in Hanoi before boarding Air Force One that he and Kim discussed the Warmbier case and he said he believed that Kim had been unaware of the young man’s serious medical condition.

Warmbier, 22, was sentenced to 15 years of hard labor for stealing a propaganda poster on what North Korea claimed were orders from an Ohio Methodist church. Upon his release, North Korea said Warmbier’s health had deteriorated after a bout of botulism. Warmbier’s doctors in the U.S. said he suffered extensive brain damage.

At the time of his return, Trump had said that Warmbier “was tortured beyond belief,” using is as an example of brutality in North Korea.

On Thursday Trump said: “I don’t believe that he would have allowed that to happen, it just wasn’t to his advantage to happen. Those prisons are rough, they’re rough places, and bad things happened. But I really don’t believe that he, I don’t believe that he knew about it.”....

https://www.jta.org/quick-reads/trump-says-north-korean-leader-did-not-know-otto-warmbier-was-in-such-bad-shape

Online rustynail

They are really trying to make this into a thing.

Offline ABX

They are really trying to make this into a thing.

I think when a terrorist state tortured and murdured a US citizen, and we try to give them a pass on it... It became a thing. No one needed to 'make it a thing'.

Offline TomSea

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Posted this yesterday, I think I will do a merge of the Warmbier threads, all of them, if that is okay with people.

Offline edpc

I think when a terrorist state tortured and murdured a US citizen, and we try to give them a pass on it... It became a thing. No one needed to 'make it a thing'.

More than that, it’s the propensity Trump has for making public statements, siding with others over intel groups and advisors in instances like:

Putin - denying organized Russian election interference.

bin Salman - denying involvement in the Khashoggi murder.

Kim - denying knowledge of Warmbier’s treatment in prison.

It seems as though you just need to ‘strongly deny’ the most obvious actions and he’ll buy it.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 06:02:36 pm »
Shaking my head in disgust...why would he say such a thing...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 06:09:15 pm »

Do you really have to ask?

Offline Applewood

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 06:11:16 pm »
Wonder what Wambier's family thinks of this.  If I were one of them, I'd be livid.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 06:14:05 pm »
I wonder if he could have just demurred on this question during a sensitive time of negotiations.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 06:15:50 pm »
Wonder what Wambier's family thinks of this.  If I were one of them, I'd be livid.

Watch CBSN Live
Family of Otto Warmbier, American brutalized by North Korea, responds after Trump remarks

By Kathryn Watson

Updated on: March 1, 2019 / 11:12 AM / CBS News

The parents of Otto Warmbier, the American student who died after being imprisoned by the North Korean regime, responded for the first time Friday to President Trump's comments siding with dictator Kim Jong Un on the death of their son.

In Vietnam, Mr. Trump, who said he mourned the student's death last year and invited his parents to his State of the Union address, told reporters Kim "tells me that he didn't know about it and I will take him at his word." Warmbier died last year shortly after he was released in a coma.

"We have been respectful during this summit process," Warmbier's parents, Fred and Cindy Warmbier, said in a statement. "Now we must speak out. Kim and his evil regime are responsible for the death of our son Otto. Kim and his evil regime are responsible for unimaginable cruelty and inhumanity. No excuses or lavish praise can change that."

See more at: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/otto-warmbiers-family-responds-to-trump-on-sons-death/

Offline aligncare

"We have been respectful during this summit process. Now we must speak out. Kim and his evil regime are responsible for the death of our son Otto. Kim and his evil regime are responsible for unimaginable cruelty and inhumanity. No excuses or lavish praise can change that. Thank you," Fred and Cindy Warmbier said in a statement provided to CNN. 

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/03/01/politics/otto-warmbier-family-trump-north-korea/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

What the Warmbier family has is all of America’s sympathy and one hell of a wrongful death suit against the North Korean state; but, not a veto over the denuclearization process because of their loss.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2019, 06:18:50 pm »

IF the president has been quoted accurately here he definitely stepped on his crank BIG time! 

EVERYTHING that happens in North Korea is Kim Jong Un's fault just like everything that happens in Venezuela now is Maduro's fault!

« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 06:20:24 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Applewood

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2019, 06:19:14 pm »
Thanks @TomSea

Offline TomSea

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2019, 06:20:47 pm »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

About 4 and a half - 5 minutes in, Santorum addresses the Warmbier situation.

Offline edpc

What the Warmbier family has is all of America’s sympathy and one hell of a wrongful death suit against the North Korean state; but, not a veto over the denuclearization process because of their loss.

A judge has already ruled for the sum of $500M in their favor. They have not wanted to be part of the summit process, nor did they offer any opinions directly about it in their statement.

Offline TomSea

A judge has already ruled for the sum of $500M in their favor. They have not wanted to be part of the summit process, nor did they offer any opinions directly about it in their statement.

I don't know about these kinds of lawsuits in US courts, Assad found guilty of killing an American(s). I probably agree with that.

These are civil trials.

Iran found aiding 911, sued for $6 billion. 

Why didn't we invade Iran if this is so?

There's a whole website on this case.

http://www.iran911case.com/

U.S. DISTRICT COURT RULES IRAN BEHIND 9/11 ATTACKS

December 23, 2011

A federal district court in Manhattan yesterday entered a historic ruling that reveals new facts about Iran's support of al Qaeda in the 9/11 attacks. U.S. District Judge George B. Daniels ruled yesterday that Iran and Hezbollah materially and directly supported al Qaeda in the September 11, 2001 attacks and are legally responsible for damages to hundreds of family members of 9/11 victims who are plaintiffs in the case.

Judge Daniels had announced his ruling in Havlish, et al. v. bin Laden, et al., in open court on Thursday, December 15, 2011, following a three-hour courtroom presentation by the families' attorneys. Judge Daniels entered a written Order of Judgment yesterday backed by 53 pages of detailed Findings of Fact and Conclusions of Law.

So, these civil trials have so-so significance really. Probably using different criteria.

Offline edpc

I don't know about these kinds of lawsuits in US courts, Assad found guilty of killing an American(s). I probably agree with that.

These are civil trials.

Iran found aiding 911, sued for $6 billion. 

Why didn't we invade Iran if this is so?

There's a whole website on this case.

http://www.iran911case.com/

So, these civil trials have so-so significance really. Probably using different criteria.

It’s a different lawsuit, but it’s not unheard of for seized assets to be used in settlements.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/04/20/supreme-court-iran-terrorism-compensation-beirut-bombing/83275082/

Online goatprairie

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2019, 08:58:55 pm »
I'm not against Trump trying to negotiate with Rocket Man, but I think he, Trump, is too much like FDR who thought he could "handle"  Stalin. Too much confidence in his own ability to persuade. My own feeling is that Rocket Man is a typical commie blockhead who can't be reasoned with.
I think Trump still feels that with just a little more sweet talk, RM will come around. I doubt it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 09:00:20 pm by goatprairie »

Offline edpc

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2019, 10:35:50 pm »
Trump says his remarks on Warmbier were 'misinterpreted'

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

I never like being misinterpreted, but especially when it comes to Otto Warmbier and his great family. Remember, I got Otto out along with three others. The previous Administration did nothing, and he was taken on their watch. Of course I hold North Korea responsible....

3:03 PM · Mar 1, 2019 · Twitter for iPhone

....for Otto’s mistreatment and death. Most important, Otto Warmbier will not have died in vain. Otto and his family have become a tremendous symbol of strong passion and strength, which will last for many years into the future. I love Otto and think of him often!

3:03 PM · Mar 1, 2019 · Twitter for iPhone

[snip]

“He knew the case very well. But he knew it later,” Trump said of Kim. “And, you know, you’ve got a lot of people. Big country. Lot of people. And in those prisons and those camps, you have a lot of people. And some really bad things happened to Otto. Some really bad things.

“He tells me that he didn't know about it, and I will take him at his word,” the president added.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/432255-trump-says-his-remarks-on-warmbier-were-misinterpreted

Nobody misinterpreted anything. He said he didn’t think Kim knew about it and believes him. He’s absolving him of personal responsibility. So, what’s changed, with the ‘misinterpretation’ we’ve supposedly made?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 10:36:40 pm by edpc »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2019, 06:13:29 pm »
https://news.yahoo.com/kim-really-clueless-us-student-225102984.html

Was Kim really clueless about US student death?

Short video on this, I doubt if it will change anyone's mind but it might be of interest.