Author Topic: Humans are frogs in hot water of climate change, research says  (Read 776 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Humans are frogs in hot water of climate change, research says
« on: February 27, 2019, 02:00:27 am »

By Jen Christensen, CNN

Updated 2000 GMT (0400 HKT) February 25, 2019

(CNN)The extreme weather that comes with climate change is becoming the new normal, so normal that people aren't talking about it as much -- and that could make them less motivated to take steps to fight global warming, according to new research.

Researchers analyzed more than 2 billion social media posts between 2014 and 2016. What they found was that, when temperatures were unusual for a particular time of year, people would comment on it at first. But if the temperature trend continued and there were unusual temperatures again at that time the following year, people stopped commenting as much.

The authors of the study, published in Monday's Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, believe that this is a sign that because of memory limitations and their own expectations and biases, humans may not be the best judges of temperature change. The experience of weather in recent years, rather than over longer historical periods, determines the baseline that people use to evaluate the current weather.

more
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/25/health/climate-change-boiling-frog-study/index.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online roamer_1

Re: Humans are frogs in hot water of climate change, research says
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 02:13:32 am »
The authors of the study, published in Monday's Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, believe that this is a sign that because of memory limitations and their own expectations and biases, humans may not be the best judges of temperature change. The experience of weather in recent years, rather than over longer historical periods, determines the baseline that people use to evaluate the current weather.

Riiiiight. Don't believe your lying eyes... Listen to the scientists... And the drama queens.

ROTFLMAO!!!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 02:32:11 am »

By Jen Christensen, CNN

Updated 2000 GMT (0400 HKT) February 25, 2019

(CNN)The extreme weather that comes with climate change is becoming the new normal, so normal that people aren't talking about it as much -- and that could make them less motivated to take steps to fight global warming, according to new research.

Researchers analyzed more than 2 billion social media posts between 2014 and 2016. What they found was that, when temperatures were unusual for a particular time of year, people would comment on it at first. But if the temperature trend continued and there were unusual temperatures again at that time the following year, people stopped commenting as much.

more
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/25/health/climate-change-boiling-frog-study/index.html

Hot damn, then. Scientific research from
facebook posts.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 02:37:09 am »
Insanity.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 05:43:54 pm »
Climatedepot.com
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 06:01:57 pm »
Do you suppose these "scientists" are at all familiar with the concept of observation bias?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 06:05:43 pm »

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 07:07:08 pm »
I believe it was about twenty years ago when many of the "experts" predicted no more snow and cold by 2020. The other day I read an article on Powerline by John Hinderaker where he cited some nut in Duluth  ten years ago predicting that  there would be no more snow and cold in the northern states by 2020. I wonder what the "expert" is saying now?
When the topic of record snow and cold in many parts of the northern U.S. is brought up,  some warmists seriously say that it's because the cold weather from the arctic is being forced out by warmer air from south of the arctic.
When you tell them the "experts" were predicting no more cold ANYWHERE!!! by this time, they change the subject. According to the "experts" the Arctic should be prime beachfront property now or getting there.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 07:40:22 pm »
Before the internet got popular, I never really heard about extreme weather in other parts of the country.

We should tax the internet, while there's still time.  It's for the children.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 12:19:09 am »
I believe it was about twenty years ago when many of the "experts" predicted no more snow and cold by 2020. The other day I read an article on Powerline by John Hinderaker where he cited some nut in Duluth  ten years ago predicting that  there would be no more snow and cold in the northern states by 2020. I wonder what the "expert" is saying now?
When the topic of record snow and cold in many parts of the northern U.S. is brought up,  some warmists seriously say that it's because the cold weather from the arctic is being forced out by warmer air from south of the arctic.
When you tell them the "experts" were predicting no more cold ANYWHERE!!! by this time, they change the subject. According to the "experts" the Arctic should be prime beachfront property now or getting there.

I remember that. Back in the late 80s the prediction was by the year 2000 the only place you’ll be able to see snow will be maybe northern Canada. The last several winters up here have been pretty snowy and cold. Of course now, that’s all because of global warming.

During the late 90s or early 2000’s,  a local weatherman out of Duluth questioned it and the station was bombarded with people calling or sending letters demanding that he be  removed from the air
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline rustynail

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 12:26:05 am »
'frogs in hot water ' is a myth so is Anthropogenic climate change.