Author Topic: WILFORD: Illinois Looks To Raid Private Retirement Accounts To Solve Its Pension Crisis  (Read 1193 times)

rangerrebew

WILFORD: Illinois Looks To Raid Private Retirement Accounts To Solve Its Pension Crisis
11:00 AM 02/23/2019 | Opinion
Andrew Wilford | National Taxpayers' Union Foundation

Illinois has a severe pension crisis. That’s probably an understatement — the state has over $130 billion in unfunded pension liabilities alone. Last summer, Moody’s reported that the state made the record books for the largest ever pension debt-to-revenue ratio, with pension debt equaling 601 percent of total government revenue. So what are some in the state proposing to solve the problem? Going after money in private retirement accounts, of course.

Two state policy groups, the Civic Committee of the Commercial Club of Chicago and the Civic Federation, have come out in favor of ending an exclusion in the state’s income tax for pension income and federally taxable Social Security income. Doing so, the organizations argue, would raise $2.5 billion in revenue, equivalent to a 0.5 percent income tax rate hike and a 0.85 percent corporate tax rate increase.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/02/23/wilford-illinois-pensions/

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
WILFORD: Illinois Looks To Raid Private Retirement Accounts To Solve Its Pension Crisis
11:00 AM 02/23/2019 | Opinion
Andrew Wilford | National Taxpayers' Union Foundation

Illinois has a severe pension crisis. That’s probably an understatement — the state has over $130 billion in unfunded pension liabilities alone. Last summer, Moody’s reported that the state made the record books for the largest ever pension debt-to-revenue ratio, with pension debt equaling 601 percent of total government revenue. So what are some in the state proposing to solve the problem? Going after money in private retirement accounts, of course.

Two state policy groups, the Civic Committee of the Commercial Club of Chicago and the Civic Federation, have come out in favor of ending an exclusion in the state’s income tax for pension income and federally taxable Social Security income. Doing so, the organizations argue, would raise $2.5 billion in revenue, equivalent to a 0.5 percent income tax rate hike and a 0.85 percent corporate tax rate increase.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/02/23/wilford-illinois-pensions/

I understand that IL is a taxation hell hole, but i am having problems tying the comment around "Going after money in private retirement accounts",  versus simply saying they will tax penison and SS income.  The two definite separate issues.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online LMAO

If this goes through, I can’t imagine who would stay in Illinois after that 
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
When you tax a pension, you are "raiding" it. 

That is just that much less the pensioner will have in retirement so that state pensioners can maintain "all".

IMO, this is evil. 

I'm saving what I need to in the private sector without benefit of the state "promise" and because the state screws it up, they come and take from me?
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
When you tax a pension, you are "raiding" it. 

That is just that much less the pensioner will have in retirement so that state pensioners can maintain "all".

IMO, this is evil. 

I'm saving what I need to in the private sector without benefit of the state "promise" and because the state screws it up, they come and take from me?

How this reads is confusing.  You are correct if the state is going to tax the "pension" as an entity.  I read this is that they were going to tax income (personal) which before now was exempt under IL tax code.  In laws lived there is how I know.

The earlier of the two constitutes double taxation, which should get a court challenge (IMO)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 06:06:42 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline goatprairie

Illinois has hundreds of thousands of gov. employees who have to have their gold-plated retirement funds replenished.
What's wrong with people? Don't they want to help out those great state employees who help keep the Thief Party i.e. Democrat Party running? 
Illinois isn't the first state to think about robbing citizens. I expect to see a lot more Dem-run states do that.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
This Tax and spend liberal Gov also wants to implement the Chicago "plastic bag tax" state wide.  7 cents per bag.  For Chicagoan's that would jump to 12 cents a bag.     

@mystery-ak
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Anyone know whether public pensions are taxed by Illinois?  Why not do this if they are not?  It will have net effect of reducing the pensions paid out.

Another thing Illinois can implement:  Make it mandatory that anyone receiving a public pension must maintain residence within the state. 

Seems fair to me.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
If this goes through, I can’t imagine who would stay in Illinois after that

California too. Why would anyone stay?

But they do, tied to a job they can't get elsewhere or just too broke, by Govt, to Afford to move.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

But they do, tied to a job they can't get elsewhere or just too broke, by Govt, to Afford to move.

And that is why Illinois is a failed state.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
To be fair, almost all other states with an income tax levy it on pension income. Only a dozen or so tax SS benefits though...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Online Wingnut

To be fair, almost all other states with an income tax levy it on pension income. Only a dozen or so tax SS benefits though...

To be fair.  What is fair about that?   

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
This Tax and spend liberal Gov also wants to implement the Chicago "plastic bag tax" state wide.  7 cents per bag.  For Chicagoan's that would jump to 12 cents a bag.     

@mystery-ak

I guess it's time to buy reusable shopping bags...Gawd this state just gets worse
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

They have expensive Mortgages, and in the sunken Real Estate price picture there, they can't sell.  They are, in effect, anchored by their Mortgages.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I guess it's time to buy reusable shopping bags...Gawd this state just gets worse

Be sure to double-wrap your Chicken, Pork and Beef.  9999hair out0000
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online LMAO

Should all of this pass, Illinois will be a test case of what other states will try to do up to and including the federal government.

Social Security, especially Medicare, are rapidly running out of money and Illinois isn’t the only state with a massive unfunded pension liability. And “taxing the rich” isn’t going to fix them
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline goatprairie

Should all of this pass, Illinois will be a test case of what other states will try to do up to and including the federal government.

Social Security, especially Medicare, are rapidly running out of money and Illinois isn’t the only state with a massive unfunded pension liability. And “taxing the rich” isn’t going to fix them
I remember reading some years ago about some big-city mayors running out of other people's money wanting to tax suburbs to get their money.
I believe the mayor of Indianapolis concocted a plan to do that, but I don't know if it was ever realized.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I remember reading some years ago about some big-city mayors running out of other people's money wanting to tax suburbs to get their money.
I believe the mayor of Indianapolis concocted a plan to do that, but I don't know if it was ever realized.
that is outright theft.

Why dont they tax Europe if going that way?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 03:01:39 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Snarknado

• Anti

SS and pension are already taxable at fed level. Most states already tax pension and I think 13 tax SS.

Pelosi is pushing a plan to immediately raise the SS wage cap and gradually raise the payroll tax rate. Which not surprisingly puts almost the entire burden on businesses and higher earners to pay for another massive giveaway...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA