Author Topic: Supreme Court justice Clarence Thomas calls for libel laws which protect media from being sued to be  (Read 496 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
    Clarence Thomas used an opinion unsupported by other justices to attack New York Times v Sullivan which makes it more difficult for public figures to sue

He claimed the 1964 ruling was not based in the constitution and said that states should be solely responsible for libel laws

Supreme Court ruling he attacked says that public figures have to prove a claim was made with 'actual malice' for it to be a libel

Ruling means that the media is protected from being sued in many cases
    Trump has called libel laws 

By Reuters

Published: 15:38 EST, 19 February 2019 | Updated: 18:49 EST, 19 February 2019

Conservative Justice Clarence Thomas on Tuesday urged the U.S. Supreme Court to reconsider its landmark 1964 ruling that made it harder for public figures to sue for defamation, a precedent that has served as powerful protection for the news media.

Thomas took aim at the unanimous ruling in the libel case known as New York Times Co. v. Sullivan in an opinion he wrote concurring with the court's decision to end a defamation suit against Bill Cosby filed by a woman who said the comedian raped her in 1974.

Thomas, one of the high court's most conservative justices, said the 55-year-old decision was not rooted in the U.S. Constitution. ...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6722363/Justice-Thomas-calls-reconsidering-landmark-U-S-defamation-ruling.html

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Meanwhile, Wash Post being sued for libel in the tune of a quarter of a billion $
https://www.foxnews.com/us/covington-high-students-legal-team-sues-washington-post
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Meanwhile, Wash Post being sued for libel in the tune of a quarter of a billion $
https://www.foxnews.com/us/covington-high-students-legal-team-sues-washington-post

I understand that the difference is the Covington kids aren't public people.  Not sure how that makes sense.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Good! I'm sick of the media getting away with this crap.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I understand that the difference is the Covington kids aren't public people.  Not sure how that makes sense.
Me neither, but I hope Covington takes 'em for a lot of money.

Then I would go after the high school administration who branded them as well as the bishop.

Never should we allow another Duke Lacrosse team debacle to occur.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington