Author Topic: Angry over campus speech by Uighur activist, Chinese students in Canada contact their consulate, fil  (Read 371 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
World
Angry over campus speech by Uighur activist, Chinese students in Canada contact their consulate, film presentation

(Bloomberg News)
By Gerry Shih and  Emily Rauhala
February 14 at 5:40 PM

The news of a talk by a Uighur activist spread quickly on campus, ricocheting across WeChat, the Chinese messaging app.

A group of Chinese students at McMaster University, in Ontario, learned that Rukiye Turdush, a vocal critic of the Chinese government’s treatment of Uighurs, was set to deliver a presentation about the mass internment of Muslims in China’s far northwest.

The students were furious that a woman they considered a separatist would be given a platform to speak. So they rallied in a chat group and reached out to a familiar source of guidance: the Chinese government.

Read more at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/angry-over-campus-speech-by-uighur-activist-students-in-canada-contact-chinese-consulate-film-presentation/2019/02/14/a442fbe4-306d-11e9-ac6c-14eea99d5e24_story.html

This does not speak well for Chinese students here in North America. I know, many will hit the WaPo paywall, perhaps there is enough here or one can look for more info elsewhere.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
TomSea wrote:
"I know, many will hit the WaPo paywall, perhaps there is enough here or one can look for more info elsewhere."

How I defeated the WaPo "paywall" in 1.5 seconds on a Mac:
1. Tried to load page, got paywall
2. Reached up to Safari's "Developer" menu and chose "Disable Javascript"
3. Clicked the reload icon.
4. Done. No paywall.