Author Topic: THE HOUSE IS SET TO VOTE ON TRILLION DOLLAR SPENDING BILL. NO ONE HAS READ IT  (Read 3824 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Line item veto, Mr. President.

Already ruled unconstitutional, 20 years ago.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

She's pulling the same trick she did with Obamacare...ram it through...pass it on party lines before anyone has a chance to read what they've hidden in the back pages that undermines anything the President is trying to do on immigration.

That maybe true, but last year, during the omnibus signing, this particular president said, “But I say to Congress that I will never sign another bill like this again. I'm not going to do it again. Nobody read it, it’s only hours old."

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

That maybe true, but last year, during the omnibus signing, this particular president said, “But I say to Congress that I will never sign another bill like this again. I'm not going to do it again. Nobody read it, it’s only hours old."

And he's already said he's gonna sign it.

"read my lips"
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I would like to see term limits.
Term limits would do nothing except make things easier and cheaper for the people over on K Street.  Makes the unelected beauracrats even more powerful than they already are
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

And he's already said he's gonna sign it.

"read my lips"

This is a different Congress and the bill is $300B less than the last one. So, I suppose he’s covered.    *****rollingeyes*****

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Term limits would do nothing except make things easier and cheaper for the people over on K Street.  Makes the unelected beauracrats even more powerful than they already are

So limit lobbying. Take away those bureaucrats "right" to not be fired.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
EdJames wrote:
"How will this ever be stopped?"

I grin whenever I see comments like yours from members of this forum (who probably take pride in calling themselves "fiscal conservatives").

It will NEVER be "stopped", until circumstances that politicians don't, won't, or can't control actually STOP it.

Then, and only then, will those with the powers to do so actually attempt to correct things.
(I said "attempt")

The budget (and its excesses, and the resulting deficits) are like the proverbial Vietnamese village that first had to be destroyed before it could be "saved".

But mark these words:
The steps taken that will actually correct "the problems" will be draconian and totalitarian.
You're not gonna like 'em!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Bele wrote:
"Line item veto, Mr. President."

That's unconstitutional, as the issue litigated before the U.S. Supreme Court back around 1998 or so. The Court said "no".

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
If anyone is interested, here are the Senate "no" votes:

Statistically Notable Votes
Vote    Party    Representative    State
Nay      R      Cotton, Tom    AR
Nay      D      Harris, Kamala    CA
Nay      R      Rubio, Marco    FL
Nay      R      Braun, Mike    IN
Nay      R      Paul, Rand    KY
Nay      D      Markey, Ed    MA
Nay      D      Warren, Elizabeth    MA
Nay      R      Hawley, Joshua    MO
Nay      R      Sasse, Benjamin    NE
Nay      D      Booker, Cory    NJ
Nay      D      Gillibrand, Kirsten    NY
Nay      R      Inhofe, Jim    OK
Nay      R      Toomey, Pat    PA
Nay      R      Scott, Tim    SC
Nay      R      Cruz, Ted    TX
Nay      R      Lee, Mike    UT

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/116-2019/s26

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

If anyone is interested, here are the Senate "no" votes:

Anyone want to bet on how many of those Dems are running in 2020?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online corbe

Thanks for that @Sanguine I was looking  for it earlier, looks like a solid block of Conservative? Senators voted against.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
    Thanks for that @Sanguine I was looking  for it earlier, looks like a solid block of Conservative? Senators voted against.

Yes, it does.

Offline roamer_1

YEP. That tells me all I need to know.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
YEP. That tells me all I need to know.

Me too.  That Trump should vote nay too.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Anyone want to bet on how many of those Dems are running in 2020?
1 out of 5. Gillibrand
3 of the other 4 are running for President in 2020.  The bill passed both chambers of Congress with VETO-proof majorities
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 05:29:55 am by Once-Ler »

It's a little over 20% of the GOP Senate.

https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/1096229706175733760
Ann Coulter @AnnCoulter

He CAN'T declare a national emergency to do something a bill he signed prevents him from doing.

https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/1096229840980652034
Ann Coulter @AnnCoulter

Now you know: Trump's "national emergency" ruse was always just a way to fool the rubes in his base.

88finger point

Offline RetBobbyMI

https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/1096229706175733760
Ann Coulter @AnnCoulter

He CAN'T declare a national emergency to do something a bill he signed prevents him from doing.

https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/1096229840980652034
Ann Coulter @AnnCoulter

Now you know: Trump's "national emergency" ruse was always just a way to fool the rubes in his base.

88finger point
She is just bloviating, making statements without any specifics source. Sorta like some do here.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

She is just bloviating, making statements without any specifics source. Sorta like some do here.
Are you speaking of yourself?  Because I provided links.

Offline RetBobbyMI

Are you speaking of yourself?  Because I provided links.
No. Links to bloviating tweets provides no substance.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Nobody is going to read it,either. At MOST,some will double check to make sure THEIR "piece of pork" isn't missing,but that's it.

This won't change until and unless "We,the people" start climbing up on their backs and INSISTING they read and debate any spending bill in open chambers before they can even vote on it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline RetBobbyMI

Nobody is going to read it,either. At MOST,some will double check to make sure THEIR "piece of pork" isn't missing,but that's it.

This won't change until and unless "We,the people" start climbing up on their backs and INSISTING they read and debate any spending bill in open chambers before they can even vote on it.
There already are rules in places, but both parties routinely dispense with the rules by majority vote and do whatever they want.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
There already are rules in places, but both parties routinely dispense with the rules by majority vote and do whatever they want.

@RetBobbyMI

Well,that's only fair since we all know that laws are only for the "little people",right?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Chosen Daughter

We have met the enemy, and it is us.

Bad behavior follows bad culture.

And so, this will continue indefinitely until (or unless) the American people decide to stop asking for unearned favors from our elected representatives.

In effect, we are giving away our freedom and abdicating our responsibilities in exchange for false promises of security to be paid by faceless and nameless others.

Interesting take, and duly noted.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Oh, the liberals know what's in it.  You can bet every Latino group, and Immigration lawyers knows too.