Author Topic: At-home DNA testing company allowed FBI access to its database: report  (Read 6119 times)

Online corbe

Re: At-home DNA testing company allowed FBI access to its database: report
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2019, 11:30:49 pm »
   Does your Insurance provider need to swab your cheek for your DNA, they already have your Blood, Urine, stool sample? 
   Asking for a friend.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2019, 11:33:26 pm »
I see it pretty much that way except I don't think it really matters whether or not there is DNA information avaliable to them or not.   If they want you they're going to get you regardless.

Sad?  Damned right it is but I believe it.

Reasonable minds will differ.   :shrug:

I know how serious you are about your genealogy, and if I were so inclined the balance between knowledge-seeking and privacy would be different.  I don't give two hoots about that, but I'm biased because 1)  Cancer and other genetic problems don't run in my family and 2) My first stab at it turned up the fact that my GGGF was P.T. Barnum. :silly:  Full-stop.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2019, 11:42:52 pm »
   Does your Insurance provider need to swab your cheek for your DNA, they already have your Blood, Urine, stool sample? 
   Asking for a friend.

When it comes to Medical Providers and Insurance, HIPPA rules apply.  Insurance cannot kick you off if you have a "bad gene."  This is why my Insurance (for the time being, I have to get a new policy because I got retired early) won't pay for tests, which can run into big money when using DNA to find markers for, say, breast cancer.  Mrs. Liberty asked a lab we use for blood tests and stuff quoted her $2,500.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2019, 11:43:40 pm »
   Asking for a friend.

Wish I could answer that. WTF is an "insurance" provider?

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2019, 12:20:04 am »
Wish I could answer that. WTF is an "insurance" provider?

Examples of Insurance Providers defined in HIPPA:  Aetna, Blue Cross, United, AFFLAC, GIECO, etc.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2019, 12:37:49 am »

I am the master of my domain and I don't want anyone finding out I am their father after a decade of one night stands in my misspent youth.

I thought Jerry Seinfeld told either George or Kramer he was master of his domain
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2019, 01:02:58 am »
I thought Jerry Seinfeld told either George or Kramer he was master of his domain
Elaine Benes was in on the deal too. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2019, 01:13:14 am »

I think he was disappointed that neither bio parents showed..but there is a hit for a first cousin which I think may be a half sibling since the results are very close..

He was hoping to hear from this person..so far nothing. He is afraid to make the first move.

My wife has a cousin that was adopted,, and she does not care to know.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 07:35:28 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2019, 02:07:57 am »
If you don't put it out there, it can't be stolen, and can't be 'shared'.

Probably a product of my misspent yoot, but I too vote for 'give em nothing'.

My boy is a LEO, and the first thing they do when they are looking for someone is facebook to find all their friends and family, phone LUDS and location to find out who they call a lot and where they haunt, and their exact location.

No sense giving them the very things they'll use to hang you ...

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2019, 02:20:51 am »
Probably a product of my misspent yoot, but I too vote for 'give em nothing'.

My boy is a LEO, and the first thing they do when they are looking for someone is facebook to find all their friends and family, phone LUDS and location to find out who they call a lot and where they haunt, and their exact location.

No sense giving them the very things they'll use to hang you ...

Exactly.   And use it they will, if they can.  Even if they know you are innocent.  They don't care about "Justice," they only care about how many convictions they can get.  To LEO, that's all that matters.
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2019, 02:34:30 am »
Exactly.   And use it they will, if they can.  Even if they know you are innocent.  They don't care about "Justice," they only care about how many convictions they can get.  To LEO, that's all that matters.

On the bright side, I am told that if you avoid typical things like cellphones, facebook, and etc. and avoid getting your pic up on the net (if they don't have a good pic, they can't use facial recognition), it is getting easier to avoid  the law, not harder... It seems there are fewer that know how to put in the real legwork to do it the old-school way...  go figger.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2019, 02:35:14 am »
I'm sure that I am not the only one on the board who has had a Top Secret clearance. Add to that that I was in the military. There is no doubt in my mind that anything the Government wants to know about me, they already know. Including my DNA profile.

Never have done any of those DNA companies. Mostly because there is no way to know if what they are telling you is in any way accurate. They can say anything. Who is going to say they are wrong?

The only way to do that for real would be to send a sample to multiple companies. If they all tell you the same thing then there is probably some validity there. If they all come back wildly different, then you know they are just pulling it out of their butt.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2019, 02:44:38 am »
On the bright side, I am told that if you avoid typical things like cellphones, facebook, and etc. and avoid getting your pic up on the net (if they don't have a good pic, they can't use facial recognition), it is getting easier to avoid  the law, not harder... It seems there are fewer that know how to put in the real legwork to do it the old-school way...  go figger.

You won't find my face on the web.  I won't post pics, and I won't let anybody I know on Bookface get one of me.  I just tell them I'm too weird looking, and they agree.

No pics, no facial recognition.  I'm too old for this shit.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2019, 02:48:37 am »
I'm sure that I am not the only one on the board who has had a Top Secret clearance. Add to that that I was in the military. There is no doubt in my mind that anything the Government wants to know about me, they already know. Including my DNA profile.

Never have done any of those DNA companies. Mostly because there is no way to know if what they are telling you is in any way accurate. They can say anything. Who is going to say they are wrong?

The only way to do that for real would be to send a sample to multiple companies. If they all tell you the same thing then there is probably some validity there. If they all come back wildly different, then you know they are just pulling it out of their butt.

As a lowly civilian. it's easier for me to tell them all to eff off.  I am not so interested in my bloodline that I would give away all that data that can be used against me.  As I mentioned upthread, I have P.T. Barnum for a GGGF, and that's plenty of info for me right there.
I will NOT comply.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2019, 03:01:32 am »
As a lowly civilian. it's easier for me to tell them all to eff off.  I am not so interested in my bloodline that I would give away all that data that can be used against me.  As I mentioned upthread, I have P.T. Barnum for a GGGF, and that's plenty of info for me right there.
In England there are multiple places that will research your 'Coat of Arms'. You give them your name and $50 and they will show you your ancestral Coat of Arms. You have to pay more to get it on a plaque.

The problem is there is no way to independently verify that what they are telling you is true. The second problem is that everyone, no matter what their name is, seemed to miraculously have a Coat of Arms. If a Philippino or a Chinese person went in to one of these shops, he would wind up with some kind of Coat of Arms. A fish head, a bowl of rice, with crossed chopsticks in the middle. It really did seem to be not very serious. I'm worried that these DNA places are the same way.

Every White person in America is related to George Washington? Every Black person in America is related to Thomas Jefferson? I'm sorry. But I question these results.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2019, 03:38:44 am »
In England there are multiple places that will research your 'Coat of Arms'. You give them your name and $50 and they will show you your ancestral Coat of Arms. You have to pay more to get it on a plaque.

The problem is there is no way to independently verify that what they are telling you is true. The second problem is that everyone, no matter what their name is, seemed to miraculously have a Coat of Arms. If a Philippino or a Chinese person went in to one of these shops, he would wind up with some kind of Coat of Arms. A fish head, a bowl of rice, with crossed chopsticks in the middle. It really did seem to be not very serious. I'm worried that these DNA places are the same way.

Every White person in America is related to George Washington? Every Black person in America is related to Thomas Jefferson? I'm sorry. But I question these results.

@240B  They are not incentivized to be truthful. If the shopkeeper can't produce a Coat of Arms, there's no payback.  One has to lie to remain in business.

If I were they, I'd have a dozen or so Coats of Arms drawn up by the local 12th Grade Art students in a drawer.
I will NOT comply.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2019, 04:02:35 am »
@240B  They are not incentivized to be truthful. If the shopkeeper can't produce a Coat of Arms, there's no payback.  One has to lie to remain in business.

If I were they, I'd have a dozen or so Coats of Arms drawn up by the local 12th Grade Art students in a drawer.
Well of course.
I just went to several 'Find your Coat of Arms' sites. Typed in the exact same name. They all came up different. LOL
P.T. Barnum would be proud. Your Grandpa would love this!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2019, 04:40:04 am »
Well of course.
I just went to several 'Find your Coat of Arms' sites. Typed in the exact same name. They all came up different. LOL
P.T. Barnum would be proud. Your Grandpa would love this!

Apparently his ways live within me.  :smokin:
I will NOT comply.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2019, 04:52:09 am »
Greensleeves

If you stupid effs don't get it. You will.

At the expense.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2019, 11:46:04 pm »
Interesting article.  Thanks, @EdJames.

You are welcome, I found it to be informative of the multiple layers governing this information.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2019, 12:04:39 am »
Greensleeves

If you stupid effs don't get it. You will.

At the expense.

We need to ask @QueenCatofAragon  about this Freddie
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2019, 05:34:18 pm »
The Golden State Killer and the Controversy Behind Matching DNA to Suspects

https://www.theringer.com/tech/2018/4/27/17292204/golden-state-killer-joseph-james-deangelo-jr-ancestry-sites-23andme-gedmatch-heritage-dna

A little-known genealogy website was reportedly used by police in their pursuit of Joseph James DeAngelo Jr., opening up new questions about consumer security on ancestry platforms

On Thursday it was reported that the Sacramento County District Attorney’s Office used the help of a genealogy website in its pursuit and arrest of the alleged Golden State Killer. Joseph James DeAngelo Jr. was found thanks to DNA that was submitted by police to an ancestry platform, where data was used by investigators to narrow the search pool before an eventual 100 percent DNA match was revealed.

But it wasn’t 23andMe that helped find the Golden State Killer, nor any other platform you’ve likely heard of. Late Thursday afternoon, the lead investigator revealed that a tiny, open-source site called GEDmatch was responsible for matching DeAngelo’s DNA. Because GEDmatch is not a private company, law enforcement officials didn’t need a search warrant to compel it to open up its files; they could do all the work themselves. So why would anyone use GEDmatch, given its inability to protect users from investigators? Well, for one, it’s free—and, according to The Mercury News, it’s where curious people go to look for long-lost relatives. “If you require absolute security, please do not upload your data to GEDmatch,” the company website warns. “If you have already uploaded it, please delete it. ... While the results presented on this site are intended solely for genealogical research, we are unable to guarantee that users will not find other uses.” It appears that police were able to take DNA from crime scenes and partially match it against the DNA of a relative of DeAngelo who had used GEDmatch. What happened from there is unknown, but it’s possible that interviews with the relative led to a reveal of DeAngelo’s name, and then further investigations by law enforcement ended in his arrest and a 100 percent match of the original crime scene DNA against his own. It’s been reported that “discarded DNA”—which often means a thrown-out soda can or the like—was used to get that 100 percent match.

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2019, 08:37:57 pm »
We need to ask @QueenCatofAragon  about this Freddie

@The Ghost

“The original text ran thus: King Henry vowed his wife to hurt When she sewed greensleeves on his yellow shirt
Simon, Milford Haven UK”

You see what kind of crap I had to put up with...nitpicking POS

I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2019, 11:31:45 pm »
I don't really have much of an interest in my family history beyond what I already know (not all that much).

Like Popeye said, "I yam who I yam and that's all that I yam!"
No DNA tests for me, thank you very much.