Author Topic: At-home DNA testing company allowed FBI access to its database: report  (Read 6122 times)

Online corbe

At-home DNA testing company allowed FBI access to its database: report

By Emily Birnbaum - 02/01/19 10:45 AM EST

Family Tree DNA, one of the largest at-home DNA testing companies in the U.S., has allowed the FBI to gain access to its database of more than a million DNA profiles in order to help solve violent crimes, according to a new Buzzfeed News Report.

Family Tree DNA in a statement to The Hill said it has tested DNA samples provided by the FBI to help "identify
perpetrators of violent crimes and to identify the remains of deceased individuals."

The company since last year has allowed the FBI use its genealogy database, the first time a private company has allowed a federal law enforcement agency to use its DNA data to investigate crimes.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/policy/technology/428020-at-home-dna-testing-company-working-with-the-fbi-report
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline RetBobbyMI

Re: At-home DNA testing company allowed FBI access to its database: report
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 04:48:59 pm »
Not good for business Family Tree
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 04:50:01 pm »
23 and me is selling DNA info to GlaxoSmithKilne.

Anyone using companies to research their ancestry are risking their DNA privacy.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 05:05:27 pm »
LOL. Anyone who takes one of these tests is a moron. First off their results are nebulous bullshit and secondly they are handing information off to a 3rd party and paying them on top of that.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 05:14:10 pm »
The Sacremento mass murder suspect was found, via GedMatch, which is not a testing firm. It classifies samples sent t them by individuals, obtained from the testing companies.

Example: You get your DNA tested by Ancestry. Ancestry says your ancestors came from Ireland and Italy. Ancestry tell you about some close cousin matches, too.

You in turn can take thesample results obtained from Ancestry, and upload the data to GedMatch.

GedMatch in turn may give alternate interpretations about origins, and some additional cousin matches.

I have yet to get cousin matches from GedMatch, but my sister has had them, from Ancestry. Solid. every time.

DNA science is very solid.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 05:40:17 pm »
My brother gave me an Ancestry DNA kit for Christmas.  Still waiting for results -- probably not till March.  Bro already has his results.  Will be interesting to compare mine with his. 

I suspect the feds already know a lot more about me than I would like and I'm fairly certain they have passed that information to vendors of life insurance,  funeral insurance, retirement communities and a host of others.  None of our personal information is safe, the feds are the worst culprits and I don't know what to do about that.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 05:48:35 pm »
My brother gave me an Ancestry DNA kit for Christmas.  Still waiting for results -- probably not till March.  Bro already has his results.  Will be interesting to compare mine with his. 

I suspect the feds already know a lot more about me than I would like and I'm fairly certain they have passed that information to vendors of life insurance,  funeral insurance, retirement communities and a host of others.  None of our personal information is safe, the feds are the worst culprits and I don't know what to do about that.
It's like I have drilled into the heads of my grandchildren:

How many people does it take to keep a secret?

One. Any more than that, it isn't a secret.

If you don't put it out there, it can't be stolen, and can't be 'shared'.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 06:00:03 pm »

Anyone using companies to research their ancestry are risking their DNA privacy.

DNA privacy? Who gives a shit?

Offline Applewood

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 06:07:14 pm »
It's like I have drilled into the heads of my grandchildren:

How many people does it take to keep a secret?

One. Any more than that, it isn't a secret.

If you don't put it out there, it can't be stolen, and can't be 'shared'.

Well, in my case I probably shouldn't have obtained Social Security or Medicare.  I'm fairly certain that is where all these vendors got my contact information. 

When I first subscribed to Medicare, I was hounded by my supplemental carrier to have someone come to my house to take my BP and such.  Now my doctors do all that every time I see them, so why would I need a visiting nurse or health professional to come to my house for this?  I think the reason these at-home visits are being pushed is so the feds will have my health info.  Easier than trying to get the records from my doctors.  Someday when government health care is finally in place, the feds will need to know if I'm worth treating or not.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 06:11:43 pm »
FTDNA has my DNA sample on file and I have paid for a full MT series, a Y67, and an autosomal test.  I seriously doubt that the FBI is going to find out anything about me there that they can't find from many other sources.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 06:20:39 pm »

With today's tech the govt can put  you at the scene of a crime if they want your rear.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 06:53:44 pm »

You, or at least you ought to.

With that screaming paste up of needing to bring Ebola Patients back here from Africa and then pronouncing them 'Cured'.

With All the in your face corruption of top Fed Law Enforcement and the Courts?

Selective Bio Weapons are going to remain Star Trek VooDoo?
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 06:56:46 pm »
With today's tech the govt can put  you at the scene of a crime if they want your rear.

I'm surprised Mueller hasn't cooked up Hundred dollar bills with Trump's DNA on them that went through offshore accounts to Russian whatevers.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 07:00:03 pm »
FTDNA has my DNA sample on file and I have paid for a full MT series, a Y67, and an autosomal test.  I seriously doubt that the FBI is going to find out anything about me there that they can't find from many other sources.

Yeah, I'm not sure why the anxiety about this.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 07:00:48 pm »

But, they can do that without DNA.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 07:09:25 pm »

They can destroy most anyone they like with a meer charge and it need not have any basis in fact!  They have a hell of a lot more money and lawyers than you do!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 07:14:12 pm »
If anyone has been in the military, since 1991, they’ve already been collected.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 07:16:39 pm »

Same here, I am law abiding, but it still pisses me off for 2 reasons.

(1) Is FTDNA getting compensated for that use by the FBI?, and if so, is it really fair for them to profit at our expense?
(2) I find it intrusive that any of my information is given to business or government, with out my consent.  Waaaaay back, when I first used them about 8 years ago, I was told by FTDNA that data from my test would be held only for genetic interpretation by said FTDNA, unless I released it to competitive dna company.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2019, 08:04:06 pm »
You, or at least you ought to.

With that screaming paste up of needing to bring Ebola Patients back here from Africa and then pronouncing them 'Cured'.

With All the in your face corruption of top Fed Law Enforcement and the Courts?

Selective Bio Weapons are going to remain Star Trek VooDoo?

This forum is filled with kooks and loonies.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 08:11:48 pm »
Sounds like a HIPAA violation.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2019, 08:48:56 pm »
Suckers!

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 09:11:36 pm »

My sister went on that site to try to find information on her birth/bio dad. She was thrilled with the results. She couldn’t find him but was happy to learn what nationalities she came from.

She’s been begging me to do this for years but I won’t do it. She even bought me a box for them but I th8nk it would be like opening Pandora’s box. I couldn’t care less about my biological parents.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 09:13:17 pm »

Is that why your here?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2019, 09:14:58 pm »

Well! (Huff, Huff, quarter turn right for the camera, Pearl Clutch.) I, Never!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2019, 09:27:04 pm »

DNA databases make it easier for government.  The level of privacy of that data is not clear, permission to share with law enforcement would be buried in the 15 pages of "User Agreement."

If they want to search a database looking to pin something on you, they can just pop up a web browser and filter the information without leaving the desk or the donut.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: