Author Topic: At-home DNA testing company allowed FBI access to its database: report  (Read 6130 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: At-home DNA testing company allowed FBI access to its database: report
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2019, 09:32:05 pm »
My sister went on that site to try to find information on her birth/bio dad. She was thrilled with the results. She couldn’t find him but was happy to learn what nationalities she came from.

She’s been begging me to do this for years but I won’t do it. She even bought me a box for them but I th8nk it would be like opening Pandora’s box. I couldn’t care less about my biological parents.

Bought ancestry for my oldest son who is also adopted for Christmas. Catholic Charity was dead on with is heritage.

I think he was disappointed that neither bio parents showed..but there is a hit for a first cousin which I think may be a half sibling since the results are very close..

He was hoping to hear from this person..so far nothing. He is afraid to make the first move.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2019, 09:40:25 pm »
I don't know this for a fact, but I'm willing to bet that DNA doesn't fall under HIPPA.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2019, 09:46:13 pm »
I don't know this for a fact, but I'm willing to bet that DNA doesn't fall under HIPPA.

Good question...  I found this:

https://www.eff.org/issues/genetic-information-privacy
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 10:31:04 pm by EdJames »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2019, 09:55:48 pm »
Bought ancestry for my oldest son who is also adopted for Christmas. Catholic Charity was dead on with is heritage.

I think he was disappointed that neither bio parents showed..but there is a hit for a first cousin which I think may be a half sibling since the results are very close..

He was hoping to hear from this person..so far nothing. He is afraid to make the first move.

My wife of nearly 51 years now has a  man's name on her birth certificate purported as her father.  Through DNA testing she recently determined that the man listed on the birth certificate is indeed her older brother's father but not hers.  She has been able to track down her biological family and is quite happy about it even though none of them were ever in her life previously.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2019, 09:59:30 pm »
My wife of nearly 51 years now has a  man's name on her birth certificate purported as her father.  Through DNA testing she recently determined that the man listed on the birth certificate is indeed her older brother's father but not hers.  She has been able to track down her biological family and is quite happy about it even though none of them were ever in her life previously.

So she did it to cash in on some extra inheritance? Smart move.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2019, 10:02:59 pm »
 888high58888z
So she did it to cash in on some extra inheritance? Smart move.

LOL! Sure Frank!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2019, 10:04:55 pm »
@EdJames, I'm getting a 404 not found.

It's your life's story isn't it.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline EdJames

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2019, 10:09:35 pm »

I must have bumbled it...  can you just paste this in?

Offline Applewood

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2019, 10:12:01 pm »

Years ago, before Ancestry and such, I found some people in California on the internet with my same last name.  The name is highly unusual, so I'm reasonably sure they are related to me.  My father's side of the family is an enigma.  Dad always said every time he went to a wedding or a funeral, he met another relative he didn't know he had.  My mother's side was more social -- everyone in that family knew everyone else and how they were related.  Not so with Dad's. 

Anyway, I wrote to one of these people in California, introduced myself, assured him that I wasn't looking for money or trying to run a scam and asked if we could make contact, compare what we knew about our families, etc.  Never heard back.  I guess I wouldn't trust me either.  LOL 

But who knows?  Maybe your son would have better luck contacting this person.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2019, 10:15:15 pm »

Had the same problem, but when I cut and pasted the link in the browser, it worked. 

My computer is hinky about certain sites.  Deems them untrustworthy, so if I want to see something in a particular site, I have to manually enter the address.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2019, 10:37:24 pm »
Had the same problem, but when I cut and pasted the link in the browser, it worked. 

My computer is hinky about certain sites.  Deems them untrustworthy, so if I want to see something in a particular site, I have to manually enter the address.

It seems to be a forum software glitch.  The 404 error page shows "gopbriefingroom.com" between the https:// and the stuff after the second /  That was on the first link.  The second posting of the link worked fine.   :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EdJames

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2019, 10:41:32 pm »
It seems to be a forum software glitch.  The 404 error page shows "gopbriefingroom.com" between the https:// and the stuff after the second /  That was on the first link.  The second posting of the link worked fine.   :shrug:

Nah, it was me...  when I pasted in the link originally I clumsily left off the domain.  I went back and fixed it.  User error, bumbled it.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2019, 10:54:14 pm »
Nah, it was me...  when I pasted in the link originally I clumsily left off the domain.  I went back and fixed it.  User error, bumbled it.

I saw where you fixed it.  Thanks!  Now we know what happens when one forgets to add the domain.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2019, 11:00:22 pm »
I saw where you fixed it.  Thanks!  Now we know what happens when one forgets to add the domain.

I am the master of my domain and I don't want anyone finding out I am their father after a decade of one night stands in my misspent youth. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2019, 11:06:53 pm »

Interesting article.  Thanks, @EdJames.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2019, 11:10:41 pm »
Everything you submit will be used against you.

There is a S-storm coming at people in this country.

It is definitely aimed at people like me. Or You.

I made my choice a long time ago.

Take a step back and look at the big picture.

Politics, cultural "norms", technology, social media, and on and on.

We can talk about it on this forum days on end.

But there IS a day coming where you will have to choose.

One hint and one piece of advice.

No one here gets out alive.

Choose wisely.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2019, 11:10:56 pm »

Me, too!  It was a tongue-in-cheek comment. 

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2019, 11:12:22 pm »
Good question...  I found this:

Interesting.  Thanks for posting.  So whether or not it's HIPAA PHI apparently depends on who wants to see it.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2019, 11:21:50 pm »
Interesting article.  Thanks, @EdJames.

Indeed it is.  I'd heard of some of that, but it was good to see it documented.  Especially the part you were interested in:  For companies like Ancestry.com and 23&Me, HIPPA does not apply.  One is reliant upon the kindness of the strangers running those outfits.

I won't use any of them, because I do not trust the government to not use the data for fishing expeditions.  Stories already abound about how LEO has ID'ed "potential suspects" from hits they get from close relatives who fit the search criteria.  I would not like the idea of being responsible for my brother or sister being caught up in that, even if they're guilty.  (I'm that bad a person.)

To elaborate on something @bigheadfred wrote upthread:  Police will use any tool they can to place you at or near a crime scene they are investigating.  Many Detectives work against the normal rules of scientific discovery.  They usually ID a potential suspect from the evidence at the crime scene, then search for ways to pin the crime on that person, to the exclusion of evidence that could point to someone else.

Too often, once a Detective thinks he has enough evidence to convict, the attitude becomes "I got my man!" and they won't budge from that paradigm.

I know too many people who trust the Police implicitly.  I am not one of them.

ETA:  Mrs. Liberty was married to a Homicide Detective, and she has stories about this.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 11:22:46 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2019, 11:24:54 pm »
Everything you submit will be used against you.

There is a S-storm coming at people in this country.

It is definitely aimed at people like me. Or You.

I made my choice a long time ago.

Take a step back and look at the big picture.

Politics, cultural "norms", technology, social media, and on and on.

We can talk about it on this forum days on end.

But there IS a day coming where you will have to choose.

One hint and one piece of advice.

No one here gets out alive.

Choose wisely.

@bigheadfred  If you have had a chance to read my above post, you can guess I agree with this post of yours.   Especially the first line.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2019, 11:27:43 pm »
Indeed it is.  I'd heard of some of that, but it was good to see it documented.  Especially the part you were interested in:  For companies like Ancestry.com and 23&Me, HIPPA does not apply.  One is reliant upon the kindness of the strangers running those outfits.

I won't use any of them, because I do not trust the government to not use the data for fishing expeditions.  Stories already abound about how LEO has ID'ed "potential suspects" from hits they get from close relatives who fit the search criteria.  I would not like the idea of being responsible for my brother or sister being caught up in that, even if they're guilty.  (I'm that bad a person.)

To elaborate on something @bigheadfred wrote upthread:  Police will use any tool they can to place you at or near a crime scene they are investigating.  Many Detectives work against the normal rules of scientific discovery.  They usually ID a potential suspect from the evidence at the crime scene, then search for ways to pin the crime on that person, to the exclusion of evidence that could point to someone else.

Too often, once a Detective thinks he has enough evidence to convict, the attitude becomes "I got my man!" and they won't budge from that paradigm.

I know too many people who trust the Police implicitly.  I am not one of them.

ETA:  Mrs. Liberty was married to a Homicide Detective, and she has stories about this.

I see it pretty much that way except I don't think it really matters whether or not there is DNA information avaliable to them or not.   If they want you they're going to get you regardless.

Sad?  Damned right it is but I believe it.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2019, 11:28:44 pm »
Missed your post. I was making pizza with my g-kids. Gonna spend some minutes with them before I make any substantive reply.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley