Author Topic: McConnell blasts House bill that makes Election Day a federal holiday  (Read 1770 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McConnell blasts House bill that makes Election Day a federal holiday
By Jordain Carney - 01/30/19 02:07 PM EST

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on Wednesday blasted a key House Democratic proposal over a provision that would make Election Day a federal holiday.

“This is the Democrat plan to restore democracy? A brand-new week of paid vacation for every federal employee who would like to hover around while you cast your ballot?” McConnell asked from the Senate floor.

“Just what America needs, another paid holiday and a bunch of government workers being paid to go out and work for I assume ... our colleagues on the other side, on their campaigns,” McConnell added.

McConnell has repeatedly lashed out at House Democrats' anti-corruption bill, known as HR 1, as a “political power grab,” and pledged that it will go nowhere in the GOP-controlled Senate.

more
https://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/427683-mcconnell-blasts-house-bill-that-makes-election-day-a-federal-holiday
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: McConnell blasts House bill that makes Election Day a federal holiday
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 09:48:14 pm »
I didn't read House Bill 1.  But does it do away with early voting.  Cuz if it doesn't.  WTF is the point.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 10:37:51 pm »
I didn't read House Bill 1.  But does it do away with early voting.  Cuz if it doesn't.  WTF is the point.

Early voting and mail in voting is a sham.  Give everybody the day off and open the polls for 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. and those that can't get it together to vote in that time slot on election day probably aren't intelligent enough to vote in the first place.

McConnell should be working on coming up with a way to get Trump his money for our wall instead of worrying about making election day a federal holiday.  Are you kidding me right now??  The Turtle strikes once again.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 10:54:20 pm »
Early voting and mail in voting is a sham.  Give everybody the day off and open the polls for 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. and those that can't get it together to vote in that time slot on election day probably aren't intelligent enough to vote in the first place.

McConnell should be working on coming up with a way to get Trump his money for our wall instead of worrying about making election day a federal holiday.  Are you kidding me right now??  The Turtle strikes once again.

Immigration reform is far more important that a wall.  Immigration reform is medicine,  the wall merely a Band-Aid. 

As for a federal holiday on Election Day,  I'd be in favor of it IF coupled with an end to early voting and mail in voting.    Like you said, those practices are recipes for abuse.   Let everyone show up physically at the polls on Election Day to vote.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 11:03:05 pm »
Immigration reform is far more important that a wall.  Immigration reform is medicine,  the wall merely a Band-Aid. 

As for a federal holiday on Election Day,  I'd be in favor of it IF coupled with an end to early voting and mail in voting.    Like you said, those practices are recipes for abuse.   Let everyone show up physically at the polls on Election Day to vote.

Jazz we are close to coming to an agreement here, though I see things on the flip side. I think we need a wall first and foremost in order to enforce our immigration laws.  We need to enforce existing immigration laws first and then work on reformation of immigration policies if needed.  I don't advocate keeping good, decent people out of this country, but there is a way to come into this country legally. Those who came here illegal have broken our laws and many continue to do so.

Coming across in a mob and rushing our borders demanding asylum under bogus means is not acceptable.  Not assimilating to our culture is not acceptable.  Enough said.

As for election day -- yes, people should show up to vote in person period. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 11:06:45 pm »

So what do you call the 1986 Immigration Reform and Control Act, a.k.a. The Simpson-Mazzoli Act?

I call it a failure.  So why spend the time to enact another failure?

Only liberal fools will do that as "This time, I know it will be better' is their slogan
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 03:25:27 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 06:21:50 am »
It is befitting that the Democommies want to create another holiday, for they would have us march double time to mirror Russia/the former USSR.  Again, keep fooling yourself in believing the Dems are anything but communist. 

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 06:38:19 am »

In 2000, I knew I was leaving on an overseas trip around election day.  I voted absentee because I wanted to make sure my vote counted, whether gore liked it or not.  In the end, it probably wouldn't have mattered, Bush still would have carried FL by a couple hundred votes even without mine, but I'm still thankful that I didn't have to give up my right to vote just because I wasn't intelligent enough to not have a job that might involve overseas travel.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 06:43:12 am »

The problem is that it only takes one election for Immigration Reform to be undone.   It would be much harder to tear down the Wall once it's built.

Nothing wrong with pursuing reform,  but you need something more permanent to go along with it.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 08:53:49 am »

I work on oil rigs, with a schedule and timing which are unpredictable. Needless to say, I can't just up and drive however many hundred miles home to vote. I vote absentee. Being able to be there isn't a question of intelligence.

But if you are going to deny me my vote, at least require ID from those who do.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 08:55:21 am »

So, you would take medicine for an infection and not bandage the wound?

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 03:01:36 pm »
So, you would take medicine for an infection and not bandage the wound?

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Physical border barriers have their role.   They help control the supply side of the equation.  But it is the demand for their labor that fuels why so many come here, legally if they can, illegally if they must.   Immigration reform is the key to solving the systemic problem.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 03:04:02 pm »
Physical border barriers have their role.   They help control the supply side of the equation.  But it is the demand for their labor that fuels why so many come here, legally if they can, illegally if they must.   Immigration reform is the key to solving the systemic problem.

Why is there so much demand for their labor....Because we pay too many able-bodied people not to work via welfare.   Cut the welfare,  and the need for immigrants drops.   Not saying that we should cut out all immigration,  but at least it could be reduced to the point where it could be more easily controlled.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 03:37:07 pm »
Why is there so much demand for their labor....Because we pay too many able-bodied people not to work via welfare.   Cut the welfare,  and the need for immigrants drops.   Not saying that we should cut out all immigration,  but at least it could be reduced to the point where it could be more easily controlled.
You are leaving out the entrepreneurial crowd who are running drugs, slaves, and children... Big money, no taxes, and not doing our country any favors.

I agree the incentives need to be cut, but cutting the supply does two things.

It makes the enforcement efforts more effective...
...and it causes the internal demand to rise, which means the cost of illegal labor goes up, which removes some of the incentive to hire illegals in the first place.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 03:42:24 pm »

Well @The Ghost I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you on this one!  Here in Texas the Early voting system works and works well! What has not worked and is now being revised is voter registration.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 04:02:15 pm »
I work on oil rigs, with a schedule and timing which are unpredictable. Needless to say, I can't just up and drive however many hundred miles home to vote. I vote absentee. Being able to be there isn't a question of intelligence.

But if you are going to deny me my vote, at least require ID from those who do.

Right?  My first ever vote was absentee, since I was attending college 750 miles away from home on Election Day.  There is absolutely a place for absentee voting ... we've just let the pendulum swing way too far with month-long voting and provisional ballots and such.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 04:32:52 pm »
Election Day need not be a holiday, which would presumably mean two days of holiday added, one for the primary and one for the general election.

I fully support having elections on a Saturday.  Most people are off from work, and it makes it more accessible.  I have missed voting a couple times because my work load was such I could not literally look up. 

Offline thackney

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 06:22:47 pm »

And it should not do away with early voting.  Not everyone is going to get this holiday.  Or do you imagine no police, fireman, nurses, refinery workers, etc not going to work that day.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2019, 06:24:24 pm »
Early voting and mail in voting is a sham.  Give everybody the day off and open the polls for 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. and those that can't get it together to vote in that time slot on election day probably aren't intelligent enough to vote in the first place....

What a load of crap!  Do you include doctors and nurses working 12 hours shifts in the ER?

Offline thackney

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 06:25:14 pm »

Early voting has the same security as election day voting.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2019, 06:27:34 pm »
@Polly Ticks
@Smokin Joe
@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer
@corbe
@QueenCatofAragon
@mystery-ak
@thackney

Early Voting, Absentee Voting, Provisional Ballots
Early Voting
Early Voting will always be here. 
1.  If all voted on just one day, the lines would be so long, it would take two or three days for all to vote. 
2.  To avoid having long lines that would require more than one day to vote, more polling places would have to be added in each voting precinct and that would be a massive expense along with the problem of two or more voting places in a precinct would not allow the workers in one voting precinct to know if the voter had already voted in another polling place in that precinct.  Voting on one day only is not going to happen.

Absentee Voting/also known as Voting by Mail:
1.  Some on this thread had to vote absentee because they were not going to be in their voting precinct during voting early days, or election day.  If absentee voting/voting by mail was eliminated, all military overseas could not vote.  Any non-military person going to be out of the country could not vote.  My son lives in Cardiff, Wales, in the United Kingdom (England), lived there for over 20 years and votes absentee in every federal election.  Going to be absent on early voting days and election day, used to be the only legal way to vote by mail. 

2,  I was working in elections the year the law changed to add other legal conditions to be able to vote by mail.
A.  One can now vote by mail if over a certain age.  This is for elderly people who cannot leave their home due to illness/disabilities and/or cannot stand in line to vote, or for no reason at all except they are over that age and can do it for convenience.
B. Any voter of any age who has a medical condition preventing them from going to a poll, may vote by mail. 
Without voting by mail, seniors/others confined to nursing homes or hospitals, could not vote.

3.  A good side effect of voting by mail is, there are less people at voting precincts on election day - the lines are shorter due to mail ballots.

4.  A check on voting by mail is this:
A. Every request for a mail ballot is checked by the election administrator to determine that request was made by a registered voter in that county.  If the person is not on the voter list, no ballot is sent.
B. The Early Voting Ballot Board (made up by Democrats and Republicans) meets a day or more days before election day (depending on how many mail ballots there are), to examine the ballot envelope, to determine if the voter is a registered voter and has a valid reason for voting by mail and all the required information is on the envelope .  If the envelope does not pass these tests, the ballot inside the envelope is rejected. 
C. I was the Judge of the Early Voting Ballot Board for ten years.  We met two days before the election and also on election day to examine mail ballots that came in on election day. 
D. People who work in elections, are paid by the state.  I got money for being the Judge.  I used that money to buy their meal on Sunday, and have it delivered, so we could keep working during the lunch period.  A restaurant in town, owned by a Republican, delivered the hamburgers.

Provisional Ballots
When there is a voter at  a precinct who is not on the voter list, if that person insists on voting there, he/she votes a provisional ballot.  That ballot is a paper ballot and kept out of other ballots voted.  The provisional ballots are not counted then, but go to the Early Voting Ballot Board to be evaluated.  In the ten years I was the Judge of that Board, no provisional ballot was counted.  Just because a person votes a provisional ballot does not mean it is counted.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 06:28:27 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline thackney

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 06:27:57 pm »
  I have missed voting a couple times because my work load was such I could not literally look up.

Which is why I now always early vote.  One year of emergencies at work that didn't let me leave before 8 pm taught me never to take the chance again.

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 06:42:40 pm »
I’d like to vote early, but I never qualify. 
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline thackney

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2019, 06:46:39 pm »
I’d like to vote early, but I never qualify.

@QueenCatofAragon

What State are you in?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 06:47:29 pm by thackney »

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.