Author Topic: Trust Snopes? Fact-Checker Caught in a Lie  (Read 687 times)

rangerrebew

Trust Snopes? Fact-Checker Caught in a Lie
« on: January 28, 2019, 12:04:48 pm »
Trust Snopes? Fact-Checker Caught in a Lie

01/25/2019

Big-name fact-checker Snopes.com was caught covering for the liberal narrative over Nathan Philips, the native american leader who falsely claimed to be a Vietnam veteran.

Daily Caller has more:

Snopes, a left-leaning fact-checking website given preferential treatment by both Facebook and Google, flubbed its fact-check of American Indian activist Nathan Phillips’ false claim of being a Vietnam veteran.

http://thehollywoodconservative.us/articles/trust-snopes-fact-checker-caught-in-a-lie

Offline Applewood

Re: Trust Snopes? Fact-Checker Caught in a Lie
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 12:23:40 pm »
Seems to me all or nearly all the fact checking sites are unreliable.  As the saying goes, who is fact checking the fact checkers?  But I have found Snopes to be rather good in a number of areas, particularly cutting through the BS from conspiracy theory websites.  This is unfortunate.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 12:41:41 pm »
Seems to me all or nearly all the fact checking sites are unreliable.  As the saying goes, who is fact checking the fact checkers?  But I have found Snopes to be rather good in a number of areas, particularly cutting through the BS from conspiracy theory websites.  This is unfortunate.
The other thing is, and this is true with any organization that has been around for a long time (and Snopes is 25 years old at this point), as time goes on, old staffers leave and new ones come in, any organization will change, and not always for the better. It's no secret that the Mikkelsons who established the site have been involved in a bitter divorce for a long time now.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 01:20:42 pm »
Snopes has been on my ignore list for almost 20 years.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com