Author Topic: Report: Trump Said Paul Ryan ‘Screwed Him’ By Not Securing Border Wall Funding Earlier  (Read 1721 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Report: Trump Said Paul Ryan ‘Screwed Him’ By Not Securing Border Wall Funding Earlier
1:17 PM 01/26/2019 | Politics
Scott Morefield | Reporter

President Donald Trump last week reportedly criticized Paul Ryan for not funding a border wall while he was in charge of the House of Representatives.

A Washington Post report, which delved into the process behind President Trump’s decision to sign a continuing resolution to fund the government through February 15 absent any border wall money, quoted a Wednesday meeting attendee who said Trump accused the former House speaker of having “screwed him.”

At a meeting Wednesday with conservative groups, the president accused former House speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) of having “screwed him” by not securing border wall money when Republicans had the majority, according to one attendee, Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies. He said Ryan should have gotten him money before he left but he had no juice and had “gone fishing,” according to two attendees.

Ryan had warned the president against a shutdown and told him it would be politically disastrous, according to a person familiar with their conversations.

more
https://dailycaller.com/2019/01/26/trump-paul-ryan-border-wall-funding/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline dfwgator

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Exactly.  I wouldn't accept this from the mail room guy, much less the President of the United States.

Offline corbe

WTF???    Ryan wasn't a Conservative, why is he blaming him?   /s
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
   WTF???    Ryan wasn't a Conservative, why is he blaming him?   /s

Ryan is very connected with the Catholic church groups that shelter illegal immigrants.  I saw him talking with one of the women and a group that does this work on video.  He mentioned working with his friend Patty Murray.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 05:33:59 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Exactly.  I wouldn't accept this from the mail room guy, much less the President of the United States.

Ryan was useful in getting the tax reform bill passed.  But once Ryan announced his retirement, Ryan was a free agent and unanswerable to anyone.  Like Flake.

So what option did the President miss vis-à-vis Ryan and the wall?

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 06:51:17 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline dfwgator

Ryan was useful in getting the tax reform bill passed.  But once Ryan announced his retirement, Ryan was a free agent and unanswerable to anyone.  Like Flake.

Not exactly, they had to make sure to clear the way for their future lobbyist gigs.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
No, Paul the lobbyist screwed the American citizen.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Paul Ryan probably part of "insurance policy" by cheap labor establishment order.

His reward will be seven $ figure income for years to come.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline bilo

So what option did the President miss vis-à-vis Ryan and the wall?

It's interesting how, tax reform and tax cuts were not the two biggest issues Trump ran on and yet they are the only thing the Pub Congress actually did. Trump ran on "build the wall" and ending obamacare. The Pub party represented the Chamber of Commerce when they held both Houses. It's such a blown opportunity. It may ultimately lead to the end of the republic if the open border leftists win in keeping Trump from securing our borders and reforming immigration laws.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
At a meeting Wednesday with conservative groups, the president accused former House speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) of having “screwed him” by not securing border wall money when Republicans had the majority....

Ummmmmm......could have sworn he blamed the Senate for not having 60 votes. After it did pass, he encouraged McConnell to use the nuclear option. It's always someone else's fault.   :pondering:

During a heated debate between Trump, Pelosi, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and a silent Vice President Mike Pence on Dec. 11, Trump said he would have no problem getting 218 votes for money to replace and build new barriers on the US-Mexico border.

"If I needed the votes for the wall in the House, I would have them in one session — we'd be done," Trump said.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/flashback-pelosi-told-trump-the-house-wouldnt-vote-for-border-wall-funding
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 07:43:02 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Ummmmmm......could have sworn he blamed the Senate for not having 60 votes. After it did pass, he encouraged McConnell to use the nuclear option. It's always someone else's fault.   :pondering:

During a heated debate between Trump, Pelosi, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and a silent Vice President Mike Pence on Dec. 11, Trump said he would have no problem getting 218 votes for money to replace and build new barriers on the US-Mexico border.

"If I needed the votes for the wall in the House, I would have them in one session — we'd be done," Trump said.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/flashback-pelosi-told-trump-the-house-wouldnt-vote-for-border-wall-funding

It's called Trumpian-Myopia.  What ever Trump says, I see. 

It is incredible to watch the GOP chew up their heroes and then sh1t them out year after year.  I often joke "What is the difference between a champion of Republican truth, and a traitorous RINO?" One re-election. 

In 2012 Ryan was a justification to vote for Romney.  The right adored him.  In 2017, when Trump stupidly assumed the GOP would repeal Obamacare after 7 years of GOP repeal bills, Ryan's tax bill pulled Trump's Presidency out of the toilet.

It's one of the few Trump accomplishments I can't refute, except to say Ryan deserves most the credit. 

F LI C K Ryan  :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 08:26:57 pm by Once-Ler »

Offline edpc

In 2017, when Trump stupidly assumed the GOP would repeal Obamacare after 7 years of GOP repeal bills, Ryan's tax bill pulled Trump's Presidency out of the toilet.

Except it had problems that required technical fixes. With the shutdown fights, who knows if this was accomplished and how it may affect this year’s filings.

Republicans introduce new version of end-of-year tax bill with an eye toward speedy passage

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/economy/republicans-introduce-new-version-of-end-of-year-tax-bill-with-an-eye-toward-speedy-passage

Except it had problems that required technical fixes. With the shutdown fights, who knows if this was accomplished and how it may affect this year’s filings.

Republicans introduce new version of end-of-year tax bill with an eye toward speedy passage

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/economy/republicans-introduce-new-version-of-end-of-year-tax-bill-with-an-eye-toward-speedy-passage

That's not good.
 :#@$%:

Still my point was Trump tanked after the Obamacare repeal failure, and soon celebrated with the taxcut win provided by Ryan.  I'd argue the taxcut (warts and all) spurred the economy,  was a good thing to do, a legitimate success for the American people, and a huge if qualified Trump accomplishment.

Offline bilo

That's not good.
 :#@$%:

Still my point was Trump tanked after the Obamacare repeal failure, and soon celebrated with the taxcut win provided by Ryan. I'd argue the taxcut (warts and all) spurred the economy,  was a good thing to do, a legitimate success for the American people, and a huge if qualified Trump accomplishment.

I agree.

However, immigration reform especially building the wall and repealing obamacare were the two big issues. The Pub party is at the root of this failure. They lost the House in 2018 and are now in the process of losing the Senate in 2020. I know I will vote for Trump in 2020. Despite all his flaws he has been pretty consistent in trying to do what he said he would do and he has fearlessly taken on the big problems no one wanted to deal with (China, North Korea, Iran, allies that don't live up to commitments, trade deals that are not good for the USA). I can't say the same for the Pub party. I support a few members that are reliably conservative, but I doubt I'll ever support them across the board again.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline kevindavis007

I agree.

However, immigration reform especially building the wall and repealing obamacare were the two big issues. The Pub party is at the root of this failure. They lost the House in 2018 and are now in the process of losing the Senate in 2020. I know I will vote for Trump in 2020. Despite all his flaws he has been pretty consistent in trying to do what he said he would do and he has fearlessly taken on the big problems no one wanted to deal with (China, North Korea, Iran, allies that don't live up to commitments, trade deals that are not good for the USA). I can't say the same for the Pub party. I support a few members that are reliably conservative, but I doubt I'll ever support them across the board again.

President Art of the Deal had TWO YEARS of control of both chambers to pass a bill to fund the wall that Mexico was going to pay for. All he had to do was sit down talk to them. Sorry the blame game is getting old.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline edpc

President Art of the Deal had TWO YEARS of control of both chambers to pass a bill to fund the wall that Mexico was going to pay for. All he had to do was sit down talk to them. Sorry the blame game is getting old.

Marc Short was his legislative affairs director. He quit this past summer, because they couldn’t get anything done. There was no big push, subsequently. That should have been the red flag for everyone.

he has been pretty consistent in trying to do what he said he would do.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Madam Speaker has read through this thread, she's loving when a plan comes together ... and sends a special "thank you" to @Once-Ler for his tireless efforts on her behalf throughout the Forum --- just today.

(Doesn't this photo just scream "I'm glad stupid doesn't hurt".  She can't believe how well people are turning on the one standing in her way.)

Offline corbe

She didn't roll Conservatives @Right_in_Virginia ~ we always knew she was a snake and could not be trusted similar to Boehner, Ryan, McCarthy and McConnell), she rolled President Trump, that's on you.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline DB

Marc Short was his legislative affairs director. He quit this past summer, because they couldn’t get anything done. There was no big push, subsequently. That should have been the red flag for everyone.

That takes organization, planning with the people that have to make it happen and setting the plan into motion with the tenacity to complete it as a team. Trump did none of that. And that IS Trump's job. He just throws stuff out hoping something sticks. It can change on a dime. He was going to sign the CR before he didn't. A pinball in an arcade machine bouncing around with whatever events that came shortly before...

Offline corbe

Makes me wonder sometimes if these azzholes are actually running the show after all.

David Dukes read through this thread, he's loving when a plan comes together ... and sends a special "Sieg heil!" to @Right_in_Virginia for your tireless efforts on his behalf against the savage spics.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
I find it absurd that anyone (including Trump) would expect a different outcome from the same FAILED leadership. MConnel and Ryan, quite a team aren't they?
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline dfwgator

I find it absurd that anyone (including Trump) would expect a different outcome from the same FAILED leadership. MConnel and Ryan, quite a team aren't they?

Who votes for the "Failed Leadership"?

We have met the enemy, and he is us.