Author Topic: Former U.S. diplomat Abrams to lead efforts on Venezuela  (Read 394 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Former U.S. diplomat Abrams to lead efforts on Venezuela
« on: January 25, 2019, 10:46:25 pm »
Former U.S. diplomat Abrams to lead efforts on Venezuela

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Former U.S. diplomat Elliott Abrams will lead U.S. efforts on Venezuela, where Washington has recognized an opposition leader as the legitimate president, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Friday.

“Elliott will be a true asset to our mission to help the Venezuelan people fully restore democracy and prosperity to their country,” Pompeo said in announcing Abrams’ appointment.

He said Abrams would accompany him to the United Nations on Saturday for a Security Council meeting on Venezuela where the U.S. will press other countries to support opposition leader Juan Guaido as the country’s interim head of state.

Read more at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-venezuela-politics-usa-abrams-idUSKCN1PJ2IC

The British tabloid,  Independent has a very unflattering headline on Abrams. Talking about those wars in Central America in the '80s, I won't even link it.

Also, stumbled on this, past news story including Abrams:

Ted Cruz Announces National Security Team, Including Frank Gaffney, Michael Ledeen, Elliott Abrams

19 Mar 2016

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) announced his team of national security advisers on Thursday. The group includes a wide range of views, especially on radical Islam, and includes some veteran insiders who might be able to help Cruz build bridges back to the Republican establishment as the primary enters a tense home stretch.
“I am honored and humbled to have a range of respected voices willing to offer their best advice,” said Senator Cruz, adding:

These are trusted friends who will form a core of our broader national security team. After two terms of a failed Obama-Clinton foreign policy, our allies are confused and frightened, and our enemies are looking for opportunities. This is the moment for all those who believe in a strong America that is secure at home and respected abroad to come together and craft a new path forward.

Read more at: https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2016/03/19/ted-cruz-announces-national-security-team-including-frank-gaffney-michael-ledeen-elliott-abrams/

So, from 2016... the primary campaign.

I remember the younger Abrams fairly clearly from the Iran/Contra hearings I believe. Maybe some of those hearings are at youtube. They'd be interesting to watch over again.

@corbe    Modifying this post, I'm not sure if you saw the 2nd story here. You might find it of interest. I'm sure that team could have done well.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 03:57:18 pm by TomSea »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Former U.S. diplomat Abrams to lead efforts on Venezuela
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 11:50:23 pm »
"Former U.S. diplomat Abrams to lead efforts on Venezuela"

The best "efforts" we could make insofar as Venezuela is concerned is our army against their "army".

I don't see that as being much of a struggle.

Call me a warmonger if you will.
I am. And I don't care.