Author Topic: Six GOP senators vote to end shutdown without wall funding  (Read 3476 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Six GOP senators vote to end shutdown without wall funding
« on: January 24, 2019, 09:06:21 pm »
Six GOP senators vote to end shutdown without wall funding
By Jordain Carney - 01/24/19 03:45 PM EST

Six Republican senators crossed the aisle on Thursday to vote with Democrats and advance a stopgap measure that would end the partial government shutdown without additional funding for President Trump's proposed border wall.
GOP Sens. Lamar Alexander (Tenn.), Susan Collins (Maine), Cory Gardner (Colo.), Johnny Isakson (Ga.), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) and Mitt Romney (Utah) voted to advance the continuing resolution (CR), which would have fully reopened the government and funded it through Feb. 8.

The measure fell short of the 60 votes needed to break a filibuster.

The 52-44 vote in support of reopening the government without additional funding for a U.S.-Mexico border wall is a major blow to Trump and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.).

The Senate also rejected a Trump-backed proposal on Thursday that included $5.7 billion for a border wall. That 50-47 vote also fell short of the 60 needed to advance.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/426852-six-gop-senators-vote-to-advance-stopgap-without-wall-funding
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Six GOP senators vote to end shutdown without wall funding
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 09:08:15 pm »
What a group of #@$!@#&*s.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 09:11:07 pm »
What a group of #@$!@#&*s.

Romney was on the right side for maybe 3 nanoseconds.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 09:23:30 pm »
A handful of senators broke ranks with their party in the vote for the GOP-backed proposal. Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin voted yes on the Trump shutdown proposal, as he had said he would. Republican Sen. Tom Cotton voted no, as did Sen. Mike Lee, a Utah Republican.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/01/24/politics/senate-votes-shutdown-congress/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

Well, that’s interesting.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 09:24:03 pm »
WTF is wrong with Utah?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 09:25:10 pm »
WTF is wrong with Utah?

I can't seem to see a happy ending in this.  The Dems have the advantage in that they don't care what happens to the country.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline edpc

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 09:35:04 pm »
Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham, speaking from the Senate floor, said he just spoke with President Trump and told him they are talking about a three-week continuing resolution to reopen the government.

He said Trump laid out his conditions, which he said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer are discussing right now.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/government-shutdown-month-2019/index.html

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 09:41:40 pm »
WTF is wrong with Utah?

This is surprising coming from Lee unless his office was overwhelmed by phone calls and emails from his constituents to reopen the gov't.  Otherwise, I'm not quite sure.

The rest I expected.  Collins, Murkowski, and Mittens = RINO's.  I think we can count on those 3 voting against the president on most issues.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 09:43:41 pm »
I can't seem to see a happy ending in this.  The Dems have the advantage in that they don't care what happens to the country.

Oh, they care, just in a different way. They care that they tilt the votes to their advantage through amnesty and asylum and open borders helps them accomplish just that.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 09:47:18 pm »
Oh, they care, just in a different way. They care that they tilt the votes to their advantage through amnesty and asylum and open borders helps them accomplish just that.

The Democrats believe in Cloward-Piven, destroy everything to build it back up in their own image.  That was the whole point of ObamaCare.

Offline bilo

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 11:06:58 pm »
GOP Sens. Lamar Alexander (Tenn.), Susan Collins (Maine), Cory Gardner (Colo.), Johnny Isakson (Ga.), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) and Mitt Romney (Utah) voted to advance the continuing resolution (CR), which would have fully reopened the government and funded it through Feb. 8.

Well at least we know who the Rino caucus members are.

Does anyone know who the Pubs were that didn't vote for Trump's plan?
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 11:36:00 pm »
WTF is wrong with Utah?

If you ever have the misfortune of being in Salt Lake City, it will become painfully obvious.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 12:18:24 am »

Trump had them by the shorthairs, and just threw it away.  The Nevers were right.  He is not one of us.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline edpc

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 12:32:09 am »
Trump had them by the shorthairs, and just threw it away.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 12:37:50 am »
Trump had them by the shorthairs, and just threw it away.  The Nevers were right.  He is not one of us.

You're jumping the shark here, Sparky.  The ones who are not one of us are the six GOP Senators who voted against our interests.

Don't make me have to repeat this.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 12:41:02 am »
This is surprising coming from Lee unless his office was overwhelmed by phone calls and emails from his constituents to reopen the gov't.  Otherwise, I'm not quite sure.

I am absolutely in line with Lee and Cotton... I doubt it is the wall that caused them to vote against - I think it is the compromise that is proposed to solve the matter that they are against.

I am not willing to trade any sort of amnesty in order to get the wall built.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 12:45:08 am by roamer_1 »

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2019, 12:41:53 am »

I am absolutely in line with Lee and Cotton... I doubt it is the wall that caused them to vote against - I think it is the compromise that id proposed to solve the matter that they are against.

I am not willing to trade any sort of amnesty in order to get the wall built.

Was amnesty part of either bill?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2019, 12:46:40 am »
Was amnesty part of either bill?

I have not read the bill.
But if it is something along the lines of extending DACA as has been largely bandied about, then yes, that is a form of amnesty.

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2019, 12:50:26 am »
I have not read the bill.

Then why defend Lee against the indefensible?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2019, 12:51:40 am »
Then why defend Lee against the indefensible?

It is not indefensible.

Offline corbe

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2019, 12:57:08 am »
   It's been all over the news @Right_in_Virginia that the 'Trump' bill had provisions for a 3 year extension on DACA protection measures.
   To many, like me, that codifies obummers EO and that is a form of AMNESTY no matter how you Trumpers slice and dice it for some form of affirmation.

Your base is crumbling and of course you still blame Conservatives. 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2019, 12:57:10 am »
It is not indefensible.

It is so tiresome trying to reason with people hell bent on destroying this nation in the hopes of inflating their own egos.

And I'm not referring to Lee.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2019, 12:58:42 am »
It is so tiresome trying to reason with people hell bent on destroying this nation in the hopes of inflating their own egos.

Ego has nothing at all to do with it.

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2019, 01:00:18 am »
   It's been all over the news @Right_in_Virginia that the 'Trump' bill had provisions for a 3 year extension on DACA protection measures.       Your base is crumbling and of course you still blame Conservatives.

For cripes sake @corbe what part of DACA protections are neither amnesty nor a path to citizenship are you unable to grasp? 

And if "my" base crumbles, yours goes down in flames, Sparky, so be damn careful what the hell you're wishing for.

Offline corbe

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2019, 01:01:49 am »

So in other words ~ If your not on the Trump Train you are actively trying to destroy this Country.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.