Author Topic: Fox News Poll: Voters see shutdown as bigger problem than border situation  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Mesaclone

Even if you're a minority of one, the truth is still the truth  -   Mahatma Gandhi

The wording and context of a poll are everything...for example, I think President Trump is responsible for the shutdown. I'm also quite grateful to him for doing so. So the fact that 51% say the president is responsible for the shutdown...and he himself has stated he takes responsibility...is not really a negative.

I've not been paid for over a month now...and I'm glad to go on working without that pay as long as its for the cause of getting the wall built. There's a whole crapload of Border Agents, ICE agents and DHS employees who feel the same damn way...they are glad to make this sacrifice if its for the good of the nation. What are you willing to sacrifice, Corbe, to get it done?

In the end, as Gandhi stated, the truth is the truth even if many people deny it...and needing a wall to protect our border is a very clear and basic truth.

Additionally, being a "political gamesman" is not a positive. Trump is private citizen and businessman...not a politician. That is one of his best qualities so I'm glad Pelosi is seen as the "political gamesman" and not the President. 

Finally, the shutdown is a more pressing emergency...as the Border crisis is more of a long term emergency that we all know will only be fixed over a lengthy period of time...likely years. The shutdown cannot last that long and so is more pressing...so the poll is not really wrong, it just is not implicative of what you think it is.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 03:48:40 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline skeeter

All hope is lost. 000222
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 03:46:22 pm by skeeter »

Online rustynail

Ruled by Polls and Federal Judges.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Our new representative democracy in action.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Polls! :3:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Any half competent pollster can design a poll to get any result you want and guarantee you that result in advance!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Mesaclone

If you could actually attain polls that were accurate...and if people actually understood what each polls results meant (which few do)...that would be one thing. Today's penchant for push polling, poor sampling, and ridiculous interpretation of the significance of certain polling questions...makes it a wildly inaccurate medium for measuring public sentiment.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Most are designed from the get-go to INFLUENCE opinions rather than measure them!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Our new representative democracy in action.

the important thing is...We got 'im now!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Mesaclone

Re: Fox News Poll: Voters see shutdown as bigger problem than border situation
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 04:06:27 pm »
Most are designed from the get-go to INFLUENCE opinions rather than measure them!

True. Many are also just plain poorly done methodologically....sometimes on purpose. That's not to say that polling should be ignored, just that it must be actually understood for what it is...either "pushed" via question wording or sampling OR poorly interpreted by a media that has lost all sense of objectivity.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 04:09:31 pm »
Any half competent pollster can design a poll to get any result you want and guarantee you that result in advance!

These polls are all over the place ......day to day. The problem is the way they ask the questions.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 04:10:55 pm »
True. Many are also just plain poorly done methodologically....sometimes on purpose. That's not to say that polling should be ignored, just that it must be actually understood for what it is...either "pushed" via question wording or sampling OR poorly interpreted by a media that has lost all sense of objectivity.

Completely agree!  But the FACT of the matter is that most people never get to see the results of HONEST polling! And that is NO accident!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 04:11:44 pm »
Completely agree!  But the FACT of the matter is that most people never get to see the results of HONEST polling! And that is NO accident!

Polls are Propaganda.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 04:12:11 pm »
These polls are all over the place ......day to day. The problem is the way they ask the questions.

And who they call, what time of day they call, how the question(s) are worded...

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 04:13:22 pm »
Polls are Propaganda.

For the most part, the ones for public consumption absolutely are!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 04:18:26 pm »

I can see why people responded to this one they way they did - Pelosi is a beltway sleaze of 35 years who knows the ropes there better than Trump. And since its Trump is identified with the demand thats caused the House to refuse to pass a budget he's probably gonna get a greater share of the blame, as ignorant of the system as that opinion might be.

Its how these polls are then used as pressure to obtain political results that is why they are so corrosive.