Author Topic: Innocent Child Harassed, Threatened by Cops for Shoveling Snow Without a Permit  (Read 2651 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I don't think so either, but it sounds like the SO was just trying to cut their workload, not unduly burden "innocent children".

@Polly Ticks

Synchronicity.

I understand the motivation behind this by the local gov.

We had a guy at our door asking if we would sign up for a Kirby vacuum demonstration. She said no and didn't invite him in. Looked/dressed like a meth head.  A guy we know called later and said that one one of his guys and he had sent him over. Not for a demo. To sign us up for an appointment. I guess they get points or some kind of commission for getting a "hit". I told her to tell our friend he should at least give his salesmen his business card to help make the intro.

There is also a local alert around here for exactly this type of scam. Let them in your house and they are there long enough to do a quick inventory of what you have.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Polly Ticks

@Polly Ticks

Synchronicity.

I understand the motivation behind this by the local gov.

We had a guy at our door asking if we would sign up for a Kirby vacuum demonstration. She said no and didn't invite him in. Looked/dressed like a meth head.  A guy we know called later and said that one one of his guys and he had sent him over. Not for a demo. To sign us up for an appointment. I guess they get points or some kind of commission for getting a "hit". I told her to tell our friend he should at least give his salesmen his business card to help make the intro.

There is also a local alert around here for exactly this type of scam. Let them in your house and they are there long enough to do a quick inventory of what you have.

Wow, I didn't even know they still did door-to-door vacuum sales.  The business card suggestion was a good one, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't let a stranger in my house anyway. 

I WOULD, however, let a kid shovel the snow from my driveway without a permit if I didn't already have a handful of sons to take care of it in exchange for the wifi password.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline raml

My grandkids have always done it for free is that not allowed either?  I can't do it anymore. Laws like these are silly and hurt people not help,

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Next thing you know they will close down kid lemonade stands in the summer.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Wow, I didn't even know they still did door-to-door vacuum sales.  The business card suggestion was a good one, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't let a stranger in my house anyway. 

I WOULD, however, let a kid shovel the snow from my driveway without a permit if I didn't already have a handful of sons to take care of it in exchange for the wifi password.

It seemed strange to us that he was asking us to sign up for a demo. A better-dressed guy with a "sample/kit bag" and a vacuum cleaner may have had a bit more chance to get in.

Back in '83, after I came home from overseas, I did a stint for a few weeks as a vacuum cleaner salesman. Not door to door. It was by appointments. A gig my BIL was into. I think they still make them. The business model was a pyramid (scheme). "We' offered a free gift for a demo. 99% of the targets only wanted the free gift.

I will say the product was "worth" it. As far as suction strength and durability. Of the actual vacuum. But a $1300 vacuum in 1983 was a bit too much. FWIW, we still have one, 35 years later. The powerhead went out years ago, then a couple of other features. We use it for spot cleaning and our cars. Sucking cobwebs out of corners. Not that I am implying my life doesn't keep a clean house. She is a clean freak. But I wonder, sometimes. Where in the hell do those cobwebs come from?

My mom had her Electrolux for decades.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
My grandkids have always done it for free is that not allowed either?  I can't do it anymore. Laws like these are silly and hurt people not help,

We live in a culdesac. At the end of the road live two old ladies. Each in their own house, across the street from each other. They can't get out and shovel snow. I know it sounds weird but they are the first two to have their cars swept and driveways shoveled before anyone else.

My son got up one morning and caught the guy doing it. The other morning I caught the guy doing it. My son told me to go back to bed.

Even weirder. My nine-year-old grandson has developed this strange affinity to shovel someone else's snow. He is a little slow at it. Only does it after the sun is up. But he is a smart kid. I know he will catch the drift.

Offline verga

My next door neighbor is pushing 90. For 2 years I shoveled her drive and walk. Last year I bought a snowblower. My drive is double wide and 1 1/2 deep. Hers is single wide 3/4 deep. I never charge her, every once in a while she will bring over a homemade butter pound cake, and I always tell her it is not necessary. but she insists and I won't refuse her. We do have a guy that has a Gravely. He will come by and get the crusty stuff after the snowplow comes through. He never charges either. Just neighbors being neighbors.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.