Author Topic: SCOTUS punts on DACA, giving Democrats no reason to take Trump’s deal to end shutdown  (Read 829 times)

Offline libertybele

SCOTUS punts on DACA, giving Democrats no reason to take Trump’s deal to end shutdown

On Tuesday, the Supreme Court declined to take up the court case involving President Trump’s effort to end DACA amnesty for approximately 700,000 so-called “Dreamers.”

The New York Times reports that the court’s inaction all but guarantees the court will not hear the case until at least its next term, which leaves the program in place indefinitely. This means congressional Democrats have one more reason to refuse to compromise with President Trump on border security and reopen the government.

President Trump declared DACA unconstitutional in 2017 and moved to revoke President Obama’s illegal executive order, only to be thwarted by federal courts. The Ninth Circuit issued a nationwide injunction blocking the Trump administration from rescinding DACA and leaving the fate of the 700,000 program participants uncertain. The Supreme Court will ultimately need to resolve the case, but having declined to hear it today, the earliest it can be taken up is in February, with oral arguments likely to begin in October.

Meanwhile, the government shutdown fight over border security continues in Congress.

On Saturday, President Donald Trump proposed a three-year extension of work permits for DACA recipients and a three-year extension of temporary protected status amnesty in exchange for $5.7 billion in border wall funding to reopen the government. His proposal was embraced by Senate Republicans and pre-emptively rejected by Democratic leaders Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y.............

https://www.conservativereview.com/news/scotus-punts-on-daca-giving-democrats-no-reason-to-take-trumps-deal-to-end-shutdown/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The Ninth Circuit issued a nationwide injunction blocking the Trump administration from rescinding DACA and leaving the fate of the 700,000 program participants uncertain. The Supreme Court will ultimately need to resolve the case, but having declined to hear it today, the earliest it can be taken up is in February, with oral arguments likely to begin in October.

The Ninth is the court the President needs to stack. It's a snake pit.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

The Ninth is the court the President needs to stack. It's a snake pit.

True.  But this ruling by the Supremes is not good.  This absolutely kills Trump's bargaining chip.  IMHO he will have only 2 options; give DACA complete amnesty; (the indefinite stay that the DEMS want) or declare a national emergency.  Declaring a national emergency now, will make it look like he's the one refusing to negotiate. 

Either way, it's not looking good for the country.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Still think the President can just *do* what you want him to @libertybele ?

Offline libertybele

@Right_in_Virginia give it a rest.  Nice try.  I NEVER stated that I thought that the President could *do* what I wanted him to.  That's an absurd and ridiculous comment and accusation.  He has certain powers granted to him by the Constitution, he needs to use them. There are laws on the books and he needs to see that they are enforced.  He has the authority to protect this country and he needs to do so. Last time I checked he is Commander in Chief.

Secondly, he offered DACA amnesty last time around...and that failed.  In offering it again, he knows full well the outcome and this horse and pony show in this circus is just that.

Open your eyes and look at what truly is going on. 

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

Trump seems to think so. By not taking the case, they're hoping congress and the executive will make intervention unnecessary. In the meantime, that's giving tacit approval to the original EO establishing it. In that case, he'd have authority to take positions counter to it.

"If President Obama is allowed to do what he did on DACA, then I'm allowed to do whatever I want to do on things that, you know, probably a president ... doesn't have the right to do," he added.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/trump-i-have-scary-amount-of-power-if-supreme-court-says-daca-cant-be-dismantled
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

@Right_in_Virginia give it a rest.  Nice try.  I NEVER stated that I thought that the President could *do* what I wanted him to. 

Yeah, you did.  But in all fairness it may have been during one of your "hair on fire" days.

I hope you truly recognize the President's authority is limited here and this allows you to stop beating him about the head and the neck with dead-wrong assumptions.

:seeya:

Offline libertybele

Yeah, you did.  But in all fairness it may have been during one of your "hair on fire" days.

I hope you truly recognize the President's authority is limited here and this allows you to stop beating him about the head and the neck with dead-wrong assumptions.

:seeya:

Yes, you accused me before in one of your liberal rants granting Trump a pass on everything he does, including granting amnesty.  Something you refuse to acknowledge.

Peace.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 01:44:14 pm by libertybele »

Yes, you accused me before in one of your liberal rants granting Trump a pass on everything he does, including granting amnesty.  Something you refuse to acknowledge.

Peace

I see your knee's jerking well this morning @libertybelef   In all candor I don't give a furry rat's behind what you think of the President or that it changes from post to post.  My preference would be your shifting positions be fact-based.  But, hey, that's what I would prefer, you continue to do what makes you feel good in the moment.   :shrug:

Chill.

Offline libertybele

I see your knee's jerking well this morning @libertybelef   In all candor I don't give a furry rat's behind what you think of the President or that it changes from post to post.  My preference would be your shifting positions be fact-based.  But, hey, that's what I would prefer, you continue to do what makes you feel good in the moment.   :shrug:

Chill.

Changing positions?? Definitely no.  I have ALWAYS been against amnesty in any way, shape or form.  AMNESTY is NOT acceptable.  I BELIEVE in retaining the sovereignty of this country. 

Trump offering AMNESTY is NOT acceptable; it is basically giving this country away.

I have given this President credit when due, but will NEVER give him a free pass or blanket support on everything as you so liberally do.  That's just plain foolish. If you see that as changing my opinion of him and can't see past your Trump blinders that's your problem.