Author Topic: Russia Denies Bail For Former U.S. Marine Accused Of Spying  (Read 574 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Russia Denies Bail For Former U.S. Marine Accused Of Spying
« on: January 22, 2019, 02:36:39 pm »
A Russian court on Tuesday rejected an American man's bid for release on bail and instead granted an extension to his detention pending a trial on espionage charges, according to Russia's state-run Interfax news agency. Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said last week that Paul Whelan was caught "red handed" trying to recruit Russian nationals to provide intelligence to the U.S.

"The appeal of the defense (for release on bail) is not approved," Judge Dmitry Pronyakin told Whelan in the court, through a translator.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/paul-whelan-russia-accused-spy-in-moscow-court-espionage-today-2019-01-22/
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

Re: Russia Denies Bail For Former U.S. Marine Accused Of Spying
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 02:40:10 pm »
At first, this seemed to be open retaliation for the Butina charges. However, the story has gotten stranger, given Whelan’s multiple passports and citizenship. The relative silence from our State Department has also been noticeable.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 03:31:11 pm »
At first, this seemed to be open retaliation for the Butina charges. However, the story has gotten stranger, given Whelan’s multiple passports and citizenship. The relative silence from our State Department has also been noticeable.

Agreed.   And, I thought I heard, early on, that he had a less than honorable discharge. 

Offline edpc

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 04:44:14 pm »
Agreed.   And, I thought I heard, early on, that he had a less than honorable discharge.

He did, but a lot of conspiracy theorists say that’s perfect cover.    :shrug:

Whelan, a naturalized U.S. citizen who was born in Canada, served in the U.S. Marines from 1994 to 2008, mostly in administrative positions. According to military records, he received a bad conduct discharge for attempted larceny and other charges. That Whelan had been booted from the Marines for serious misconduct, officials said, made it even more unlikely he could have worked for an American intelligence agency.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/paul-whelan-made-convenient-target-russian-intelligence-officials/story?id=60322502