Author Topic: Trump is giving ISIS new life, Brett McGurk writes in scathing op-ed  (Read 1527 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Trump is giving ISIS new life, Brett McGurk writes in scathing op-ed
By Cristina Maza On 1/18/19

Weeks after Brett McGurk, special presidential envoy for the global coalition to counter ISIS, resigned in protest over President Donald Trump’s decision to pull U.S. troops out of Syria, he wrote a scathing op-ed in which he blamed the president for giving ISIS “new life.”

“The president’s decision to leave Syria was made without deliberation, consultation with allies or Congress, assessment of risk or appreciation of facts,” McGurk wrote in an op-ed published Friday in The Washington Post.

“The irony is that defeating the Islamic State is what the president said from the beginning was his goal. In 2016, he vowed to ‘knock the hell out of ISIS.’ His recent choices, unfortunately, are already giving the Islamic State—and other American adversaries—new life,” he wrote.

Read more at: https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-giving-isis-new-life-brett-mcgurk-defense-department-official-1297455

In the Washington Post tomorrow.

Offline kevindavis007

Re: Trump is giving ISIS new life, Brett McGurk writes in scathing op-ed
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 12:30:30 pm »
I'm afraid it is true.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 01:07:58 pm »
In the Washington Post tomorrow.

I never voted Brett McGurk for president. So, thank you, but I’ll stick by the opinions of the president we got.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 01:48:34 pm »
I never voted Brett McGurk for president. So, thank you, but I’ll stick by the opinions of the president we got.

Of course you would stick with President Bone Spurs..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 11:08:38 pm »
isis would rejuvenate itself regardless of our attempts to put it down.

If not isis, some other [perhaps as-yet-unnamed] group would rise up in its place.

Just as al qaeda before it, and the Taliban, etc., etc., ad infinitum.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 11:09:51 pm »
Nothing we do is going to stop ISIS as long as there are countries and regimes that give them money, resources and a place to hide and train. All we ever end up doing is sacrificing more American lives. Religious wars cannot be won because the only way to win it is for one side to effectively slaughter the other side to the last man woman and child. If someone wants to keep sacrificing their young men and women let it be someone else for a change.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 11:19:37 pm »
The enemy is Sunni Islam and until we are ready to fight and defeat Sunni Islam there is no reason to be
in the middle east sans protecting Israel. FYI really defeating Sunni Islam will take a WW2 type effort, it
means wiping out entire cities and killing millions. So Brett do you think the USA is up for that? That's
what I thought.

The worse republican president EVER blew any chance we had at defeating our real enemy when he
declared the enemy "the religion of peace".

Offline jpsb

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 11:35:17 pm »
Nothing we do is going to stop ISIS as long as there are countries and regimes that give them money, resources and a place to hide and train. All we ever end up doing is sacrificing more American lives. Religious wars cannot be won because the only way to win it is for one side to effectively slaughter the other side to the last man woman and child. If someone wants to keep sacrificing their young men and women let it be someone else for a change.

Middle eastern Islam is surrounded by enemies. My plan if for US/NATO to attack form the west, Russia
attacks from the north, India attacks from the east.

US/NATO land at Tripoli move across North Africa into Cairo up the eastern Med and into Turkey.
Russia goes thru Georgia and then into Turkey (they got off easy).
India has the hard job. Pakistani, Afghanistan and then into Iran.

We fight like we mean it, with lots of heavy artillery, lots of heavy bombers and lots of naval gunfire.
Bring and Iowa out of retirement.

Then we turn our attention to the Saudis. And yes we keep the oil and any other damn thing we find
of value. By we I mean US/NATO, Russia, India.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 11:36:17 pm by jpsb »

Offline berdie

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 11:39:44 pm »
When the "worse president ever" declared islam is the religion of  peace maybe it should be taken in context. It happened directly after 9/11.  People were riding around looking for islamists to kill.  Not everybody that is from the middle east is an islamist.

In my little world, a family that owns a convenience store were targeted.  They are Christian from India.  I was compromised taking up for them.  There were a couple of people in Dallas killed.

Maybe he was trying to quell this kind of thing. @jpsb

Offline jpsb

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 11:51:37 pm »
When the "worse president ever" declared islam is the religion of  peace maybe it should be taken in context. It happened directly after 9/11.  People were riding around looking for islamists to kill.  Not everybody that is from the middle east is an islamist.

In my little world, a family that owns a convenience store were targeted.  They are Christian from India.  I was compromised taking up for them.  There were a couple of people in Dallas killed.

Move to Dearborn, you'll fit right in.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 11:54:40 pm »

Of course that was what he was doing, @berdie.  EVERYONE knew that was what he was doing.

But haters gotta hate, so they say stupid things........ even 18 years later.

It's deep inside.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline berdie

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 12:00:27 am »
Of course that was what he was doing, @berdie.  EVERYONE knew that was what he was doing.

But haters gotta hate, so they say stupid things........ even 18 years later.

It's deep inside.

Thank you @musiclady

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 12:03:28 am »
I'm afraid it is true.

@kevindavis

The only thing you are afraid of is that it will work. We seem to have no genuine interest in winning the wars in the Muddle East or we would have already seized their foreign bank accounts and any and every piece of property they have in the west. To hell with fighting them when you can whip them by just seizing their assets and making them broke.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 12:04:33 am »

@kevindavis

Well,he wasn't the war hero that Boy Jorge or "Silver Star" Kerry was,was he?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 12:35:11 am »

Thank you @musiclady

It's a shame that your Indian Christian neighbors had to endure the effects of bigotry (Sikhs did too).  Some pretend it doesn't/didn't exist, but it clearly does.  Even here.  :shrug:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 12:39:27 am »

Yes to all.  After Afghanistan and Iraq and the instability and violence that rippled through the region in it’s aftermath and the American lives and money spent it probably was a mistake. But, W was under strong pressure to do something. Americans expected a response from the president. I just didn’t picture us being in the region still shipping home coffins in 2019. Remind me again why the Middle East is worth our sons and daughters?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 01:08:40 pm »

Maybe Bush should have simply called for an end to the renegade posses @berdie @musiclady  ... rather than blessing Islam as something it is not.  Calling Islam a religion of peace is fundamentally and profoundly wrong.  I've often wonder just who he was trying to impress with this bullshit.  It sure wasn't us.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 05:42:54 pm »
Maybe Bush should have simply called for an end to the renegade posses @berdie @musiclady  ... rather than blessing Islam as something it is not.  Calling Islam a religion of peace is fundamentally and profoundly wrong.  I've often wonder just who he was trying to impress with this bullshit.  It sure wasn't us.

@musiclady

Thank you @Right_in_Virginia

Islam has been waging an aggressive war with the Christian west for nearly 1400 years! Most
Americans can't be bothered with learning history so they don't know this.

It was profoundly wrong, as you say for our president to tell the American people that Islam is a
religion of peace. It is not a religion of peace and it is intolerant of other religions. Ask Hindus in India
what they think of Islam.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2019, 05:50:26 pm »

House of Saud

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline jpsb

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 06:04:53 pm »
I got to see the stands where the Moslem Brotherhood murdered Anwar Sadat. Bullet holes and all. Burned out armament, mostly Egyptian tanks, in the Sinai.

islamic extremism has been and is WELL known by our government. And has been for a long time.

I'll stop short by just calling BS on Boy George, Obama, or anyone else who can't stand up and tell the effing truth about islam.

They can start by admitting islam isn't a religion.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 06:16:44 pm »
I know one thing for damned sure.

I don't want to keep seeing this:

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,348391.msg1894288.html#msg1894288

All the bleeding hearts for islam can kma, sit down, shut up, and let the cry come and BE HEARD:  'Havok!' and let slip the dogs of war'.

Offline berdie

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 10:40:17 pm »
Move to Dearborn, you'll fit right in.

That is an odd response to my post @jpsb . Especially since you mention the Hindus in India in a later post. :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 10:41:14 pm by berdie »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2019, 10:50:05 pm »

Yeah unlike this Establishment fagot McGurk who had a lengthy military career.....oh wait. Brett is nothing but an establishment hack lawyer who's only claim to fame is giving Bush ideas on making the Middle East a bigger shit show and then gladly working for Obama.

You sure do pick strange people to pimp for.

Offline berdie

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 10:52:58 pm »

Thank you for your reply @Right_in_Virginia . But I have to wonder if ANY president in that situation would have said that under the circumstances. I assume you are on the east coast (I was born in VA...beautiful state) but the fly over country is not the same...trust me.

If there has been any president, other that Obama who praised it, that has downed Islam from a public forum during a national crisis....who would that be? I would be interested to see links. You are far more informed than I. The only one I can think of is Jefferson (yes @jpsb ...I study history).