Author Topic: Trump says will make 'major' announcement Saturday on shutdown  (Read 4129 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Trump says will make 'major' announcement Saturday on shutdown
« on: January 18, 2019, 11:05:54 pm »
Trump says will make 'major' announcement Saturday on shutdown

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump said on Friday he will make a “major” announcement on Saturday at 3 p.m. EST (2000 GMT) on “the humanitarian crisis on our southern border” and the partial government shutdown, now in its 28th day.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-shutdown-trump-announcement/trump-says-will-make-major-announcement-saturday-on-shutdown-idUSKCN1PC2OM

One paragraph story... will delete if I see this was posted already.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

President Trump to make announcement from the White House on Saturday at 3:00 pm ET
Twitter, Jan 18, 2019, Donald J. Trump

Donald J. Trump
Verified accountï‚™ @realDonaldTrump 

I will be making a major announcement concerning the Humanitarian Crisis on our Southern Border, and the Shutdown, tomorrow afternoon at 3 P.M., live from the @WhiteHouse.

2:51 PM - 18 Jan 2019 

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1086395559504764930?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
That's really interesting, RIV.  I hope he's going to announce the nuclear option.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
It's a good thing Nancy's trip was aborted or she would have missed it.

This could be a breakthrough, a declaration of a national emergency.  We'll just have to wait for the leaks.  :laugh:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
This could be a breakthrough, a declaration of a national emergency.  We'll just have to wait for the leaks.  :laugh:

Something has to happen and I think Trump knows it.  It's time to declare a national emergency.

Online rustynail

Re: Trump says will make 'major' announcement Saturday on shutdown
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 11:19:35 pm »
Resignation?

Something has to happen and I think Trump knows it.  It's time to declare a national emergency.

Well, the first thousand of the next caravan walked into Mexico this morning (they're resting nicely).

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 11:36:29 pm »
The announcement will be made from the Diplomatic Reception Room in the WH

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 11:37:03 pm »
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

One of you funny guys should learn how to read.

Online corbe

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 11:48:15 pm »
   I suspect he'll say "To h3ll with all this nasty weather, I'm going to Mar~a~Lago, by Amtrak"
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 12:01:41 am »
Everybody likes a conspiracy theory now and then.  Here's mine:

Rush Limbaugh purposefully swerved the conversation with a caller last week, when the caller said something about government jobs being at risk after a 30 working-day furlough.

Rush wanted no part of the discussion because it's better not to be publicized...before this weekend.

:shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 12:08:16 am »
Declare a national emergency and protect our border with all available tools.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online rustynail

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 12:11:09 am »

Rush Limbaugh purposefully swerved the conversation with a caller last week, when the caller said something about government jobs being at risk after a 30 working-day furlough.

Rush wanted no part of the discussion because it's better not to be publicized...before this weekend.

Good guess. Hope it is part of what is coming.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 12:35:17 am »

That's my theory.  Tomorrow is 30 days since the "shutdown" began, and I believe he can announce a Reduction In Force to lay off the "workers" who are presently on furlough.  I would not be surprised if he also calls a State of Emergency, because of the latest caravan group of invaders that are on the way.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 12:41:00 am »
I think the political calculation both parties are making now  is when are they going give in and therefore look like the adult in the room. I think this is timed to give Trump the opportunity to play the hand first before Congress can reconvene next Tuesday..

Both parties need the middle to win elections. Forcing government employees to work without pay, other government employees in non salaried positions to lose their paycheck with no chance to make it up and government contractors with no work and no pay doesn't sit will with the vast middle class living pay check to pay check.

It would not surprise me at all for Trump to declare an emergency to build the wall and say he will sign the bill in the Senate to end the shut down. If he doesn't then I think you will see the Dims giving in next week and spend the next two years reminding the voters how Trump and the GOP don't give a damn about the middle class and how they put ending the shut down above politics to help the little guy... :shrug:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 10:24:04 am »

A 'major announcement' at 3PM on a Saturday? Prepare to be underwhelmed.

(CNN) — President Donald Trump plans to offer Democrats another proposal to end the shutdown when he addresses the nation from the White House on Saturday afternoon -- what officials are describing as his third offer to end the shutdown, according to a senior administration official.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/01/18/politics/trump-saturday-speech-shutdown/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2019, 10:28:25 am »

A 'major announcement' at 3PM on a Saturday? Prepare to be underwhelmed.

(CNN) — President Donald Trump plans to offer Democrats another proposal to end the shutdown when he addresses the nation from the White House on Saturday afternoon -- what officials are describing as his third offer to end the shutdown, according to a senior administration official.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/01/18/politics/trump-saturday-speech-shutdown/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

How rich is this?

With all the Buzzfeed crap yesterday, you post this 'news' from CNN?    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline edpc

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2019, 05:43:57 pm »
How rich is this?

With all the Buzzfeed crap yesterday, you post this 'news' from CNN?    :laugh:

This, from the crowd that genuflects every time an article from American Thinker or Big League Politics rolls out some half baked theory that never pans out.

Maybe we should give this mid afternoon weekend announcement a Jim Hoft BOOM!     

Axios is reporting it's a wall for DACA type deal proposal.

https://www.axios.com/trump-expected-immigration-compromise-speech-border-wall-a8713395-d085-4921-a0c8-699872dcd534.html

That's not going to be overwhelmingly popular with the base. Perhaps that explains the timing of the release. If it was really major, like an emergency declaration, it would be done at a more prominent time - like during the SOTU.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2019, 05:48:23 pm »
Make a note...THIS is what Trump is going to do today:

1. He will make a straight offer of full border wall funding in exchange for a DACA deal.
2. He will give Congress 10 days (until the State of the Union) to put legislation on his desk.
3. After 10 days, at the state of the Union, if there is no bill he will declare a state of emergency and begin building the wall with other funds.
4. At that point, any DACA deal is off the table.
5. This will be a take it or leave it deal...take it and get DACA...or don't take it and get nothing while the wall still gets built under an emergency directive.

This will have multiple effects but its primary effect will be to separate the Hispanic caucus and Dem moderates from the hardcore "NeverWall" lefties...because they will have to choose to pass on a deal for 1.8 million DACA folks if they don't compromise with the President. This will put tremendous pressure on Pelosi/Schumer to back down and deal...and they will have to choose between their FAR left and traditional left.

As always, the President will have Trumped the Dims once again. If they cave and make a deal, they piss off their Far Left and Trump looks like he's won and he gets his wall. If they don't cave...and my guess is that ultimately they won't...they alienate moderates and their Hispanic caucus...and Trump still gets his wall.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 05:53:43 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2019, 06:17:22 pm »
Make a note...THIS is what Trump is going to do today:

1. He will make a straight offer of full border wall funding in exchange for a DACA deal.
2. He will give Congress 10 days (until the State of the Union) to put legislation on his desk.
3. After 10 days, at the state of the Union, if there is no bill he will declare a state of emergency and begin building the wall with other funds.
4. At that point, any DACA deal is off the table.
5. This will be a take it or leave it deal...take it and get DACA...or don't take it and get nothing while the wall still gets built under an emergency directive.

This will have multiple effects but its primary effect will be to separate the Hispanic caucus and Dem moderates from the hardcore "NeverWall" lefties...because they will have to choose to pass on a deal for 1.8 million DACA folks if they don't compromise with the President. This will put tremendous pressure on Pelosi/Schumer to back down and deal...and they will have to choose between their FAR left and traditional left.

As always, the President will have Trumped the Dims once again. If they cave and make a deal, they piss off their Far Left and Trump looks like he's won and he gets his wall. If they don't cave...and my guess is that ultimately they won't...they alienate moderates and their Hispanic caucus...and Trump still gets his wall.

I like this @Mesaclone   I'd change only two things.  First I'd like the President to start by saying:  Madam Speaker, I will be giving the SOTU address from the House of Representatives on January 29, 9:00 ET.  And then after defining the deal, give them a date certain to put the legislation in his desk:  5:00 pm ET January 29, 2019.

I also agree with your assessment the democrats will suffer if they reject this.  It also allows the President to begin "exploring" a reduction in furloughed government non-essential staff.

Offline edpc

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2019, 06:23:05 pm »

You are leaving something out. Once he makes the emergency declaration, it will be challenged in the courts. He can always petition SCOTUS to hear it right away and jump the appellate process. They have no obligation to do so and may decline. In that instance, it becomes mired in the courts for years, potentially and he loses all leverage.