Author Topic: McConnell blocks bill to reopen most of government  (Read 579 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

McConnell blocks bill to reopen most of government
« on: January 18, 2019, 12:12:04 am »
McConnell blocks bill to reopen most of government
The Hill, Jan 17, 2019, Jordain Carney

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) blocked legislation on Thursday that would have reopened most of the federal government impacted by the partial shutdown.

Sen. Tim Kaine  (D-Va.) tried to get consent to take up a House-passed bill that would reopen all agencies except the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), which is at the center of the shutdown fight. But McConnell objected.

The Senate GOP leader didn’t explain his objection from the Senate floor but he has warned for weeks that he will not bring up a government funding bill unless it’s the product of an agreement between congressional Democratic leadership and President Trump.

More:  https://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/425945-mcconnell-blocks-bill-to-reopen-most-of-government

Online corbe

Re: McConnell blocks bill to reopen most of government
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 12:58:49 am »
   If your gonna continue posting articles from The Hill, I'm gonna go grab a few from the HuffPO, @Right_in_Virginia   wink777
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 01:08:17 am »
Of course they don't want Homeland Security funded. 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 01:56:46 am »
I think McConnell should have added an amendment to add $10bn for border security and passed it. That would show the House Dems voting against their own bill with the senate’s amendment.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy