Author Topic: Hoping to keep his seat and wary of angering the base, McConnell defers to Trump on the shutdown  (Read 546 times)

Offline corbe

Hoping to keep his seat and wary of angering the base, McConnell defers to Trump on the shutdown

by David M. Drucker

January 16, 2019 12:03 AM

During former President Barack Obama’s tenure, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., first as the Senate minority leader and later majority leader, assumed the mantle of lead policy maker and negotiator for his party.

But with President Trump in the White House and his agenda enjoying the broad support of GOP primary voters, especially on the border wall, McConnell views the political terrain and his leadership differently, say knowledgeable Republicans. That has led to deferring to the president on policy and strategy during the 26-day-old government shutdown when in the past he might have taken the reigns and killed it.

McConnell’s overriding interest is avoiding the sort of public warfare with Trump that threatened to decapitate his majority early in 2018, before he reached a detente with the president, and put his conference in the best position to emerge from the 2020 primaries unscathed. The majority leader is among the Republicans up for re-election next year.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/hoping-to-keep-his-seat-and-wary-of-angering-the-base-mcconnell-defers-to-trump-on-the-shutdown
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
What is that saying about assaulting the king?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
"Come at the king, you best not miss"?

McConnell is a creepy guy but he knows politics and he knows he cannot come at the king right now and survive.

Offline bilo

McConnell is a creepy guy but he knows politics and he knows he cannot come at the king right now and survive.

I think McConnell is done. He failed on obamacare. He failed on immigration reform. I really don't see conservatives finding much to like with this guy. He has not advised Trump well. He could have pushed the wall shut down earlier and in the CR he had for Trump to sign there was only 1.6 billion for the wall. He has never supported Trump on obamacare, or immigration. He is from the old guard that work for the Chamber of Commerce.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I think McConnell is done. He failed on obamacare. He failed on immigration reform. I really don't see conservatives finding much to like with this guy. He has not advised Trump well. He could have pushed the wall shut down earlier and in the CR he had for Trump to sign there was only 1.6 billion for the wall. He has never supported Trump on obamacare, or immigration. He is from the old guard that work for the Chamber of Commerce.

I agree.  We cannot trust McConnell.  He is a political hack and only supports Trump when public opinion tells him he must.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I think McConnell is done.

Compared to who?

Stupid divided Republicans prone to gettng a democrat elected. Alabama. Arizona. etc.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline corbe

McConnell will leave the Senate just as Byrd, Kennedy and McCain did, till then he is gonna be a pain in our azz.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Emjay

For one thing his Chinese wife would kill him if he lost the ability to just pick up the phone and order people to sign contracts.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline libertybele

He plans on running for re-election in 2020.  It really all depends on who runs against him.  IF no GOP candidate opposes him or has the money to challenge him, the voters will have a choice between him and the DEM running.  This has been the problem for quite sometime and why we continue to have RINO's in Congress; no one conservative or viable enough to run against them.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline corbe

I though Matt Bevin (now Governor) was better than Mitch.  If I lived in Kentucky I would have voted for that Allison Grimes (sic) girl instead of the turtle in 2014.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
@Emjay

For one thing his Chinese wife would kill him if he lost the ability to just pick up the phone and order people to sign contracts.

888high58888