Author Topic: House to vote on punishing Steve King  (Read 4946 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House to vote on punishing Steve King
« on: January 15, 2019, 12:22:22 am »
House to vote on punishing Steve King
By Cristina Marcos - 01/14/19 06:56 PM EST

House Democrats moved to punish Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) over a string of comments considered racist, with a floor vote to formally rebuke him expected on Tuesday.

The House is expected to take up a resolution from the No. 3 House Democrat, Majority Whip James Clyburn (S.C.), who is a senior member of the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC).

King met with House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) on Monday as Republicans also considered punishments for the lawmaker, who in an interview with The New York Times published last week questioned why the terms white supremacist and white nationalist were offensive.

"White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?” King said in the interview. “Why did I sit in classes teaching me about the merits of our history and our civilization?”

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/425310-house-to-vote-on-punishing-steve-king
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

Re: House to vote on punishing Steve King
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 12:29:59 am »
What a bunch of bull!! He didn't make this comment directed at anyone. This is just wrong, wrong, wrong.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 12:33:40 am »
Since the term 'white supremacist' doesn't make sense in the context King was using (no one i knew was taught white supremacy in HS history class) I tend to think using it was just a boneheaded mistake.

Yet there's good old freshman two weeks on the job senator Mitt Romney, calling for his head.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 12:41:11 am by skeeter »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 03:05:52 am »
He's been removed from all committee positions.
House GOP strips Steve King of committee posts over white supremacy comment
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/steve-king-stripped-of-house-committee-assignments-over-white-supremacy-comments/

I'm saddened for him, whatever the truth here is, he was playing it on the edge 5 months ago when an article was posted on him.

There was not a full investigation from what I saw of the gateway pundit, a "railroad job"?

Kicking someone off these committees is like that district has only 40% (at the most) of a congressman.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 03:07:24 am by TomSea »

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 03:19:35 am »
Is this an example of "principled conservatism"?

Online corbe

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 03:56:38 am »
GOP leaders strip Steve King of committee assignments

By Cristina Marcos and Juliegrace Brufke - 01/14/19 07:49 PM EST

House GOP leaders moved Monday to remove Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) from all of his committee assignments following a firestorm over remarks considered racist.

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) told reporters after a meeting of the Republican Steering Committee that King would not receive any committee assignments for the new Congress.

King faced bipartisan criticism after telling The New York Times in an interview published last week, "White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?”

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/425328-gop-leaders-strip-steve-king-of-committee-assignments
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 04:06:54 am »
Is this an example of "principled conservatism"?

No. It's an example of a party bankrupt of ideas and run by professional losers like Romney, McConnell and the nobody House Speaker making up some distractions to hide their impotence.

Online libertybele

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 04:25:25 am »
No. It's an example of a party bankrupt of ideas and run ruined by professional losers like Romney, McConnell and the nobody House Speaker making up some distractions to hide their impotence.

:shrug:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 04:26:33 am »
:shrug:

You don't have to be confused by that. That statement is true too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 06:09:49 am »
You're going to tell me the Congressional Black Caucus hasn't ever made a racially disparaging remark?

Yeah, right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 07:03:26 am »
You're going to tell me the Congressional Black Caucus hasn't ever made a racially disparaging remark?

Yeah, right.

Well, I was once told that black people are incapable of racism.  Racism is the exclusive trait of whites.   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 07:44:31 am »
Mitch McConnell - `There is no place in the Republican Party, the Congress or the country for an ideology of racial supremacy of any kind. I have no tolerance for such positions and those who espouse these views are not supporters of American ideals and freedoms.'

Mitt Romney - "He doesn't have a place in our party, he doesn't have a place in polite company and certainly should not have a place in Congress."

Benjy Sarlin @BenjySarlin
6 hours ago

Who would have guessed “as soon as Paul Ryan wasn’t in charge” for when Steve King would get substantively rebuked by House GOP leadership?

Big Cheers to Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy.  It is long over due.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 02:48:02 pm »

Yeah, right.

King further explained himself. Yes, he was taken out of context. Romney, McCarthy & the 'moderate' wing of the GOP are evry bit as slimy as the rats when it comes to finding ways to marginalize conservatives:

"In a 56 minute interview, we discussed the changing use of language in political discourse. We discussed the worn out label “racist” and my observation that other slanderous labels have been increasingly assigned to Conservatives by the Left, who injected into our current political dialog such terms as Nazi, Fascist, “ White Nationalist, White Supremacist,— Western Civilization, how did THAT language become offensive? Why did I sit in classes teaching me about the merits of our history and our civilization?”…just to watch Western Civilization become a derogatory term in political discourse today. Clearly, I was only referencing Western Civilization classes. No one ever sat in a class listening to the merits of white nationalism and white supremacy.

When I used the word “THAT” it was in reference ONLY to Western Civilization and NOT to any previously stated evil ideology ALL of which I have denounced.

My record as a vocal advocate for Western Civilization is nearly as full as my record in defense of Freedom of Speech."
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 02:48:39 pm by skeeter »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 03:10:49 pm »
Mitch McConnell - `There is no place in the Republican Party, the Congress or the country for an ideology of racial supremacy of any kind. I have no tolerance for such positions and those who espouse these views are not supporters of American ideals and freedoms.'

Mitt Romney - "He doesn't have a place in our party, he doesn't have a place in polite company and certainly should not have a place in Congress."

Big Cheers to Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy.  It is long over due.

Reading comprehension appears not to be Mitt and Mitch’s strong suit.

@Once-Ler ?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 03:56:56 pm by aligncare »

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 03:16:20 pm »
King further explained himself. Yes, he was taken out of context. Romney, McCarthy & the 'moderate' wing of the GOP are evry bit as slimy as the rats when it comes to finding ways to marginalize conservatives:

"In a 56 minute interview, we discussed the changing use of language in political discourse. We discussed the worn out label “racist” and my observation that other slanderous labels have been increasingly assigned to Conservatives by the Left, who injected into our current political dialog such terms as Nazi, Fascist, “ White Nationalist, White Supremacist,— Western Civilization, how did THAT language become offensive? Why did I sit in classes teaching me about the merits of our history and our civilization?”…just to watch Western Civilization become a derogatory term in political discourse today. Clearly, I was only referencing Western Civilization classes. No one ever sat in a class listening to the merits of white nationalism and white supremacy.

When I used the word “THAT” it was in reference ONLY to Western Civilization and NOT to any previously stated evil ideology ALL of which I have denounced.

My record as a vocal advocate for Western Civilization is nearly as full as my record in defense of Freedom of Speech."

King got railroaded by the so called "GOP Leadership" bowing down to PC-based pressure.  What does it say about the GOP House members that McCarthy was elected "Leader?"

Offline skeeter

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 03:23:06 pm »
King got railroaded by the so called "GOP Leadership" bowing down to PC-based pressure.  What does it say about the GOP House members that McCarthy was elected "Leader?"

I missed these same congresspeople calling for censure of Rep Tlaib. Cowards.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 03:24:48 pm by skeeter »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 03:27:43 pm »
What a bunch of bull!! He didn't make this comment directed at anyone. This is just wrong, wrong, wrong.

Why is it okay for leftist loonies to constantly make outrageous comments but not for a conservative guy to have an original thought?

Just wondering.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 03:29:10 pm »
I missed these same congresspeople calling for censure of Rep Tlaib. Cowards.

I would venture to say that they weren't much bothered by the Tlaib statements.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 03:31:29 pm »
I hope all the Cruzers here made note of the fact that Ted Cruz did his best Sheila Jackson Lee impression by running as fast as he could to the nearest camera to condemn Rep King.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 03:31:30 pm »
I would venture to say that they weren't much bothered by the Tlaib statements.

I am disgusted by the cowardice of Republicans who should be standing by this guy.

That may be the only thing democrats do right ... they don't throw their own under a bus.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 03:36:17 pm »
I am disgusted by the cowardice of Republicans who should be standing by this guy.

That may be the only thing democrats do right ... they don't throw their own under a bus.

They are happy to have a ginned up excuse to slap down the irksome "immigration hawk."

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 03:36:45 pm »
I hope all the Cruzers here made note of the fact that Ted Cruz did his best Sheila Jackson Lee impression by running as fast as he could to the nearest camera to condemn Rep King.

*****rollingeyes*****

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2019, 03:45:49 pm »
So, how are your English lessons coming along @Once-Ler ?

I dunno @aligncare ?  When I tell you to <NOPE>, do you understand?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 04:08:34 pm by MOD8 »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2019, 03:55:41 pm »

Where did you see that @jpsb   If Cruz did condemn King, he slips a notch in my estimation and I am a total Cruzer.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2019, 04:03:26 pm »
I dunno @aligncare ?  When I tell you to <NOPE>, do you understand?

Yeah, I went back and deleted that part. The question was definitely unwarranted. You’re obviously still struggling.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 04:09:25 pm by MOD8 »