Author Topic: Wealth Is ‘in the Wrong Hands,’ Mayor Says, Pledging to Redistribute It  (Read 881 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
By J. David Goodman and William Neuman

Jan. 10, 2019

A new ferry route will link Staten Island to the West Side of Manhattan. New Yorkers who don’t get paid vacation will soon have two weeks.

And wealth in the city will be more evenly distributed.

Those are some of the promises Mayor Bill de Blasio is making in his State of the City speech on Thursday, his sixth since taking office and one that clearly articulates his view of how he has changed New York City as he prepares to embark on a national tour to trumpet his accomplishments and proposals.

“Brothers and sisters, there’s plenty of money in the world. Plenty of money in this city,” his prepared speech reads. “It’s just in the wrong hands!”

In the speech, being delivered at Symphony Space on the Upper West Side at 11 a.m., the mayor presents his leadership of New York as one that has made streets safer and brought new protections for tenants and workers. He casts himself as an aspiring Robin Hood — aiming to take from the rich and give to the poor — even as he has thus far been unsuccessful in his many attempts to raise taxes on high earners.

more
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/10/nyregion/de-blasio-state-of-city-speech.html?partner=rss&emc=rss
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Applewood

Another reason why I hate New York and will never set foot in it again.

Offline Absalom

This bozo has given new meaning to the descriptive, schmuck!!!

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Big Bird is on a roll. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
According to this website, Mayor DeBlasio has a net worth over $2.5 million. My savings amount to a few thousand. I think the good mayor should give me some of his money.
Let it burn.

Offline andy58-in-nh

One wonders how all that money got into the "wrong hands".... 

Was it stolen? No. Was it earned by fraudulent means? No.

Whose "wrong hands" is he talking about? The people who earned the money.

And just what does Gotham's esteemed mayor plan to do about that? Steal it of course, using tax policy as the thief, and government as the gun. 

Will wealthy New Yorkers just hand over the loot without a fight? Of course they will: they long ago submitted to the demands of looters, based on unearned guilt. And besides: they are largely unarmed.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
The majority of the time, those with wealth attained it through ideas, goods, and services. Even if you redistributed all of it, it’ll end up in the same hands, eventually.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Victoria33

I remember reading not long ago people were leaving New York City due to high taxes.  They were moving to Florida and Texas. I expect that would be the richer people who have left/will leave if more is taken from them.

It is difficult to live now without the government taking what you have or preventing you from doing "X" which you did before "Y" laws were passed.  The reason we keep having laws written is:
Someone is elected to an office and he/she must have something to show the public why they should be elected, so he/she gets his/her name on a bill which becomes a law.  An elected politician would not be reelected if he/she did NOTHING.

Online LMAO

DeBlasio is channeling Chavez, Castro,  Ortega, and Peron

So as more money leaves New York because it becomes too expensive to live where will he get the money? It’s the same question that can be asked of California. States and cities  can’t print their own currency and they must keep their budgets in the blue. And where is he going to get the money to fund the unfunded pension obligations NYC is facing  after spending it on everything else?

Just declaring that the “money is in the wrong hands” isn’t a realistic fiscal policy. There are very few fiscal realist in not just the federal level but state and city levels as well

The nation as a whole won’t become  another  southern Europe  as there are certain advantages the US has that southern Europe does not. But I think we will see a lot of mini Greeces on the local and state levels
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 11:23:30 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy