Author Topic: 9th Circuit Court Upholds Ban On Gun Possession By Undocumented Immigrants  (Read 609 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
CBS SF January 8, 2019

A federal appeals court in San Francisco on Tuesday upheld a U.S.  law that makes it a crime for people who are illegally in the United States to possess a gun.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in the case of a San Jose man, Victor Manuel Torres, who entered the U.S. illegally from Mexico in 2005 at the age of 20.

In 2014, he was found to have a loaded revolver in his backpack after he was arrested in Los Gatos on suspicion of trying to sell a stolen bicycle. Torres was convicted in federal court in San Jose and sentenced to two years and three months in prison for being an illegal immigrant in possession of gun.

In his appeal, Torres claimed the federal law violated his constitutional Second Amendment right to possess firearms.

More: https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2019/01/08/9th-circuit-court-upholds-ban-gun-possession-undocumented-immigrants/

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
That's a pleasant surprise considering the new Governor wants to give illegal aliens everything else the state has to offer.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
But the appeals court said that while it is unclear whether undocumented immigrants have Second Amendment rights, the law banning gun possession by that group is “a valid exercise of Congress’s authority.”

A three-judge panel unanimously said, “The government’s interests in controlling crime and ensuring public safety are promoted by keeping firearms out of the hands of unlawful aliens.”

Shocking they even considered the "Governments interests" this time.  But only when it comes to keeping guns away from people.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 08:33:19 pm by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
But....doesn't that mean that aliens are not due the recognition of the same rights as citizens?  Are they sure they want to go in that direction?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
But....doesn't that mean that aliens are not due the recognition of the same rights as citizens?  Are they sure they want to go in that direction?

Anyone arguing against illegal immigration should use this ruling as part of their case against open borders.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
I'm not complaining, for once the 9th court got it right.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.