Author Topic: Tennessee governor grants clemency to Cyntoia Brown  (Read 746 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Tennessee governor grants clemency to Cyntoia Brown
« on: January 07, 2019, 06:46:46 pm »
serving a life sentence for murder who said she was a victim of sex trafficking.

Haslam said he would show mercy to Brown by releasing her on August 7. She will remain on parole for 10 years.

In a statement, Brown said she will do everything to justify Haslam's faith in her and thanked her family for their support.

"I am thankful to my lawyers and their staffs, and all the others who, for the last decade have freely given of their time and expertise to help me get to this day," Brown said. "With God's help, I am committed to live the rest of my life helping others, especially young people. My hope is to help other young girls avoid ending up where I have been."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cyntoia-brown-granted-clemency-by-tennessee-gov-bill-haslam-today-2018-01-07/

Kim Kardashian West, Rihanna and other celebrities rallied for Brown as she fought her life sentence for the 2004 murder of a man who had picked her up for sex. She was 16 years old at the time. Her lawyers said she was a sex-trafficking victim and feared for her life.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mountaineer

Re: Tennessee governor grants clemency to Cyntoia Brown
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 11:47:40 pm »
I've seen several stories on this and not one mentions that the governor is a Republican.  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 11:52:57 pm »
I've seen several stories on this and not one mentions that the governor is a Republican.  :pondering:

Cold and heartless Pubs would never commute a black women's sentence.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 02:53:38 am »
And the left, while pleased, is going out of their way to thank the BLM activists, but not the Governor for actually granting the clemency.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 03:03:39 am »
Handle it, folks. There used to be a sign on the wall where I worked which said it all:

When we do right, no one remembers
When we do wrong, no one forgets.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online corbe

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 03:24:34 am »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.