Author Topic: This Is What Life Without Retirement Savings Looks Like  (Read 9325 times)

Online roamer_1

Re: This Is What Life Without Retirement Savings Looks Like
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2019, 03:28:31 am »
The difference is that I actually know what I'm talking about.

22222frying pan

No, quite the opposite.

:tongue2:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 03:29:20 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2019, 03:33:40 am »
No, quite the opposite.

:tongue2:

Fine.  Next time I see you I'll challenge you to an arm-wrestling contest.  Winner takes all.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2019, 03:34:23 am »
Fine.  Next time I see you I'll challenge you to an arm-wrestling contest.  Winner takes all.

LOL! I look forward to it!

:beer:

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2019, 05:21:40 am »
LOL! I look forward to it!

:beer:

Watch out. She's got a whip.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2019, 05:31:29 am »
The miracle of compound interest could have been the retched souls friend.  But a life time of her poor choices should make me weep for her.  I think not.

Makes a huge difference if you start in your 20s,  but a lot of people are using those years loading up on college debt.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2019, 07:50:58 pm »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2019, 08:27:51 pm »
So?

@roamer_1 @RoosGirl

Watch out. She's got a whip.

I am no expert on this stuff,and don't even play one on teebee,but I suspect it means she charges extra.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline corbe

« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2019, 09:05:34 pm »
   The good ones and I suspect @Sanguine is one of those, do it for free just to watch you writher in agony.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline berdie

« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2019, 11:17:43 pm »
I have been hesitant to post on this thread..but my hesitancy has overcome my caution.

I am happy for everyone that had the wherewithal to be able to have a great plan. And be able to carry it out.

But not all do...thru no fault of their own.  I think of my own mom who scraped by.  $18 a week...please...that was a lot of food.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2019, 01:37:15 am »
This is a really interesting issue for conservatives, and we need to think about it.  I will admit that my thinking on the matter is changing.  Used to be, I would have said, "their fault, it's on them."  But, our society has changed dramatically over the last 150 or so years.   

In the past, families and small communities would care for those in need not due to their own faults. We still have some of that, but not for the vast majority of people. 

Also, there were some serious self-limiting factors in play, as in, you didn't work, you didn't eat.  Real simple and a strong motivator.   It forced people to think about and plan for the future.  Now, we know that that safety net will catch us if we fall, and there is little stigma attached to tapping into it.

And, then we need to look at how our world works.  The Pareto Principle, for instance, which basically states, that in many cases, 80% of the available resources go to 20% of the population.  It's not a left/right thing, it's a thing. 

And, then there's IQ.  That's one we don't like to look at or admit to, because it denies a basic belief that everyone can do well in our society if they just try.  It's a lot more than just trying.  For instance, if your IQ is below a certain point, you simply can't see far enough ahead to know that you need to plan and how to do it.

So, we can take several positions here: 

1. People need to take care of themselves, and we need to cut tax-payer support so that they will have to develop the skills they need to survive.

2. The system is rigged from the start and smart bureaucrats need to be able to help those on the bottom of the system through life by taking resources from those on the top and redistributing them and by "educating" members of society so that they do what they should do.

There's obvious problems with both of those approaches.
The absolute best way to deal with people is to use the closest entity to the affected people you can.  Not the bureacracy at the state or federal levels, down to county, city or smaller.  A charity is the best so no public entity is involved.

Case in point: My wife served as a volunteer of a charity that handed out to needy people groceries, clothes, even paying some of the gas or electricity bills.  She would be designated to go to the home to assess the position of those applying for charity.

If cigarettes or booze was present, or if cable tv, then they would give them nothing.

If kids were starving due to the parents' habits, then CPS would be called to take the kids.

Suck it up or starve is the message.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 01:38:27 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2019, 01:42:48 am »
Poor people suck. Why in the hell should I give a flying eff what poor choices led to this idiot working at age 75?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2019, 02:03:50 am »
Are there no poor houses for these people anymore.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2019, 03:10:45 am »
At 7%? In what dreamland does any working-class person have access to the Wall Street brokers that could get them that kind of rate of return?

Most are lucky to have access to a 2% savings account or CD.

The DOW has averaged a 7.7% return over the last 45 years.  Anyone can invest in a mutual fund with as little as $250.  So yes, the average working class stiff could have done exactly this.  The only obstacle being a government that confiscated 12.5% of his income which denied his/her ability to invest.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2019, 06:59:32 pm »
If Roberta hadn't been forced to turn over 12.4% of her income to the government ponzi scheme at the point of a gun, she would have been able to invest it for herself and retire a millionaire.  And thanks to the Democrats, she now gets to pay income tax on her social security benefits.

:amen:   888high58888
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2019, 08:26:44 pm »
 I get things happen to people in their life and sometimes unfortunate circumstances happened to even the best of planners

But this article should also be a warning of what happens when you rely on the government for your well-being
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy