Author Topic: Dem Rep Proposes Constitutional Amendment to Eliminate ‘Outdated Electoral College’  (Read 2493 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

BY: Cameron Cawthorne   Follow @@Cam_Cawthorne
January 3, 2019 10:54 pm

Rep. Steve Cohen (D., Tenn) on Thursday proposed a Constitutional amendment to eliminate the "outdated Electoral College," saying that he believes the individual who wins the popular vote deserves to win the election.

A press release from Cohen's office listed the two amendments that Cohen was introducing, including the elimination of the Electoral College and an amendment that would limit presidential pardon power.

"In two presidential elections since 2000, including the most recent one in which Hillary Clinton won 2.8 million more votes than her opponent, the winner of the popular vote did not win the election because of the distorting effect of the outdated Electoral College," said Cohen's press release. "Americans expect and deserve the winner of the popular vote to win office. More than a century ago, we amended our Constitution to provide for the direct election of U.S. Senators. It is past time to directly elect our President and Vice President."

"Presidents should not pardon themselves, their families, their administration or campaign staff," Cohen continued. "This constitutional amendment would expressly prohibit this and any future president, from abusing the pardon power."

more
https://freebeacon.com/politics/dem-rep-proposes-constitutional-amendment-to-eliminate-outdated-electoral-college/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Night Hides Not

My BIL was all in favor of getting rid of the EC, at least until I took the time to explain the significance of the EC, and why the Founding Fathers developed it.

He's now reading the Federalist Papers...lol.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Says the guy who follows the scribblings of a shiftless bum writing in the 1830's.
The Republic is lost.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Good. Impeachment, Electoral College, Medicare for all(including illegals), Free tuition for everyone(including illegals), Free this, and Free that, etc., I want the Democrats to get their whole fantasy 'wish list' up for a vote. It's been coming in the wings for decades. Now, we can finally just do it and get it over with. I can't imagine any of this Communist bullshit will pass, but even if it does it will take years to implement. It is one thing to pass something. It is a totally different animal to try to make it actually work in reality.

Why not simply declare Mexico to be a U.S. territory and give them free everything and voting rights while we're at it? We are already almost there now anyway.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline libertybele

Good. Impeachment, Electoral College, Medicare for all(including illegals), Free tuition for everyone(including illegals), Free this, and Free that, etc., I want the Democrats to get their whole fantasy 'wish list' up for a vote. It's been coming in the wings for decades. Now, we can finally just do it and get it over with. I can't imagine any of this Communist bullshit will pass, but even if it does it will take years to implement. It is one thing to pass something. It is a totally different animal to try to make it actually work in reality.

Why not simply declare Mexico to be a U.S. territory and give them free everything and voting rights while we're at it? We are already almost there now anyway.

I think we need to declare war on Mexico.  We have experienced an on going invasion for years and it's not getting any better.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Ever notice how this only comes up when there is a Republican in the White House?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline GrouchoTex

This is a bad idea.
Those elected would only campaign and cater to large population centers, leaving rural areas without proper representation.
Those large cities would demand more federal dollars than the y do now, and the candidates would feel compelled to comply to get elected, ever spiraling our debt even further out of control.
Would a candidate ever venture into Iowa or New Hampshire (and several other states), if not for the Electoral College?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Would a candidate ever venture into Iowa or New Hampshire (and several other states), if not for the Electoral College?

No they wouldn't.  Nor would they set foot in Wyoming or the Dakotas.

The EC prevents what the Dems crave...mob rule.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Ever notice how this only comes up when there is a Republican in the White House?

Funny how that happens.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Sad sad if it comes down to cities ruling this nation.

It appears to be that a bit already.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Sad sad if it comes down to cities ruling this nation.

It appears to be that a bit already.

When the revolution comes we will see who runs Bartertown. 

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

I've read that the popular vote comes down to about 5 cities, and a number of precincts within those.

Imagine a Prez candidate spending 2/3 their time in parts of just 5 metro areas.
The Republic is lost.

Offline GrouchoTex

I've read that the popular vote comes down to about 5 cities, and a number of precincts within those.

Imagine a Prez candidate spending 2/3 their time in parts of just 5 metro areas.

Right, and along with that, all the (non-exsistent) money he/she would give out of the federal treasury, to help those 5 cities chronic problems, just so they could get elected by them.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Why don't they just introduce a Bill oulawing any but Democrat Party candidates from running and be done with the charade?
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline mountaineer

Why don't they just introduce a Bill oulawing any but Democrat Party candidates from running and be done with the charade?
Exactly.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@240B

The REAL "magic act" will be finding the money to pay for it all. You can bet your ass none of the Hollywood or Computer gazillionaires are going to give up a dime of THEIR money to feed,clothe,and house the Po,never mind pay for their health cars and their crack.

I think it is more of a case of declaring certain sections of the US as being a part of Mexico.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@To-Whose-Benefit?

That has been the Comrades plan from Day One,but it won't be done until they have total control.

And why not when it has worked so wonderfully everywhere it has ever been tried? Just ask anyone in Russia,China,Cuber,Venezuela,North Korea,etc,etc,etc.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 09:03:18 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

Some ‘republicans’ agree.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline mountaineer

He's right, whether he intended it or not. The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy, which is what we aren't and what we never want to be.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Wingnut

Nov '12   Yep,  In April 2012, Trump again returned to the Republican Party.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
He's right, whether he intended it or not. The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy, which is what we aren't and what we never want to be.

That is something that drives me crazy of late....  years ago, you never heard many people refer to the United States as a "democracy."  Then I noticed that many democrats and the media started to use the term very often.  Now, it is rare that I ever hear any politician (of any party) or media member NOT use the term "democracy."

It is as if they are just wishing away the Constitutional Republic.

Offline GrouchoTex

Exactly, but it works for a Representative republic.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

In all fairness Donny was still donating to the Clinton Foundation and the Obama campaign when he tweeted that.  That was pre "conversion".

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
No candidate with a majority of the popular vote has been denied the Presidency since 1876, and none were before that, either.

Why is the majority part important? The Constitution explicitly states that a Presidential candidate must have a majority of votes cast in the Electoral College. So, thanks to the collection of third-party candidates (Gary Johnson's vote total alone was bigger than Hillary's margin over Trump), Hillary Clinton, if we were to use the same Constitutional principle applied to a hypothetical popular vote, would still not be President. It would've gone to a runoff between Hillary, Trump and Johnson in Congress, which, since both houses were held by the GOP at the time, would have (barring a Freedom Caucus revolt) elected Trump and Pence.

The Democrats would like to get rid of that, too, I am sure.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Major Confusion

• If you don't like my opinion, Byte Me.

BY: Cameron Cawthorne   Follow @@Cam_Cawthorne
January 3, 2019 10:54 pm

Rep. Steve Cohen (D., Tenn) on Thursday proposed a Constitutional amendment to eliminate the "outdated Electoral College," saying that he believes the individual who wins the popular vote deserves to win the election.

A press release from Cohen's office listed the two amendments that Cohen was introducing, including the elimination of the Electoral College and an amendment that would limit presidential pardon power.

"In two presidential elections since 2000, including the most recent one in which Hillary Clinton won 2.8 million more votes than her opponent, the winner of the popular vote did not win the election because of the distorting effect of the outdated Electoral College," said Cohen's press release. "Americans expect and deserve the winner of the popular vote to win office. More than a century ago, we amended our Constitution to provide for the direct election of U.S. Senators. It is past time to directly elect our President and Vice President."

"Presidents should not pardon themselves, their families, their administration or campaign staff," Cohen continued. "This constitutional amendment would expressly prohibit this and any future president, from abusing the pardon power."

more
https://freebeacon.com/politics/dem-rep-proposes-constitutional-amendment-to-eliminate-outdated-electoral-college/

If Rep. Cohen wants to go through the process of amending the Constitution to eliminate the Electoral College, more power to him.  I don't think it would ever fly.
If you don't like my opinion, Byte Me.