Author Topic: Vitamin D +K for sleep disorder...  (Read 1190 times)

Offline roamer_1

Vitamin D +K for sleep disorder...
« on: January 03, 2019, 02:17:05 pm »
Anyone who knows me fairly well would tell you that I have disastrous sleeping disorder...It begins in Seasonal Affective Disorder (SADD) which causes in me a tendency to hibernate in the winter time. Add to that a marked effect by falling barometer - Large storms coming through will knock me out, and I may not surface again for days. These two things I have had all my life.

This alone makes circadian rhythm hard to maintain, but add in bouts of pain, and sleep becomes a rarity, which causes fibromyalgia to awaken, which causes an extraordinary pain cycle to present, making sleep even more rare - till I enter a destructive painful waking, followed by a crash-and-burn cycle... and time just goes out the window. This is a symptom of my later disability with arthritis and fibro...

Needless to say, Vitamin D has long been on my mind - Long periods stuck indoors, long periods of inactivity, and the native deficiency that plainly exists for those of us blessed to live in the greater Northwest, make me a particular candidate for Vitamin D deficiency.

So Vitamin D has been a factor for a long time, to include doctor administered mega-doses, and I know that come winter, I had better get on 3k IU a day, which helps to some degree, but has never been a game changer... Getting on D has always been an ethereal treatment without a noticeable bang-for-buck, but over all, across weeks, I know it helps me some. Likewise, paying attention to the triumvirate interaction between D, Magnesium, and Calcium has been very helpful toward maintaining health, but not in a life-changing way...

But that may have changed. My sister, who is wise in alt med, may have found something. She read somewhere about the advantage of taking Vitamin D with Vitamin K in researching for my brother, who was suffering heart palpitations, which wound up being a vitamin D deficiency of his own.... She remembered the Vitamin K angle, and tried it with him, when developing a regimen. The response was much more immediate than she was used to (Vitamin D deficiency is a go-to diagnosis in the Northwest).

So she then tried it on me.
It is too early to say for sure, but this has the making of a phenomenon in me.
I went (in two days) from a free-wheeling circadian rhythm where day and night, and time itself, had ceased to exist, to a rigidly stable 'awake at 6am, asleep at 11pm'  cycle that is all but set in stone.

Energy levels have doubled, as has desire to do, and sleep, when it comes, requires no aid, hitting me almost uncontrollably like a freight train.

The only difference was an increase to 10k IU D, which is not really a 'change', and the addition of this one outlier, 'vitamin K'.

Like I said, too early to tell long term, but folks having trouble assimilating Vitamin D, or finding Vit D to be a lackluster help, had better research the addition of Vit K... I have never had this positive a reaction, ever before.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Vitamin D +K for sleep disorder...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 02:22:44 pm »

Here's what I take, mostly for maintain energy and mental function. It works well for me.
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 02:32:30 pm »
Here's what I take, mostly for maintain energy and mental function. It works well for me.

Yeah - There's another thing... brain fog is *GONE*

Normally I need a couple hours waking up, and often fight becoming zombified...

*POOF!*

Gone. Going on 10 days now.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 03:19:34 pm »
I'm pretty sure us modern-day office dwellers can't get enough sunshine.  The 20 minutes a day will do it thing can't be true, given that our earlier ancestors spent most of their time outside. 

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 03:21:33 pm »
Yeah - There's another thing... brain fog is *GONE*

Normally I need a couple hours waking up, and often fight becoming zombified...

*POOF!*

Gone. Going on 10 days now.

I just stumbled across it a couple of years ago, but vitamin K2 apparently is the main one the brain needs to function. It's not easy to acquire naturally. We used to get it from grass fed meat and butter, fermented greens like saurkraut, and a few other things, but people rarely eat those anymore. Most are severely deficient.
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 03:55:01 pm »
I just stumbled across it a couple of years ago, but vitamin K2 apparently is the main one the brain needs to function. It's not easy to acquire naturally. We used to get it from grass fed meat and butter, fermented greens like saurkraut, and a few other things, but people rarely eat those anymore. Most are severely deficient.

Yeah, that's all in my diet. Got substantially better the closer I got, back to my Country roots.

What bugs me is that the doctors never even mentioned K I don;t believe it was ever mentioned, and certainly was not mentioned in processing D.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 03:57:25 pm »
I'm pretty sure us modern-day office dwellers can't get enough sunshine.  The 20 minutes a day will do it thing can't be true, given that our earlier ancestors spent most of their time outside.

Outside is all I want. I spent most of my life grabbing a cup as I headed out the door, and not coming back in till after dark. I so very much want that back.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 04:20:50 pm »
What bugs me is that the doctors never even mentioned K I don;t believe it was ever mentioned, and certainly was not mentioned in processing D.

No they don't. Actual nutrition - vitamins, minerals, and the 'phytonutrients' as they call them are literally one of the most neglected parts of health there is. I've only learned it via lots of reading, and accidential discoveries like K2.

I think that's not totally by accident, since a great deal of that can be gotten by raising it yourself or getting it from the neighbor who does, which would cut out the middleman.

To me them and gut bacteria are where it all starts and what holds it all together.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 04:21:22 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 04:28:54 pm »
No they don't. Actual nutrition - vitamins, minerals, and the 'phytonutrients' as they call them are literally one of the most neglected parts of health there is. I've only learned it via lots of reading, and accidential discoveries like K2.

I think that's not totally by accident, since a great deal of that can be gotten by raising it yourself or getting it from the neighbor who does, which would cut out the middleman.

To me them and gut bacteria are where it all starts and what holds it all together.

That's right.