Author Topic: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!  (Read 46626 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!
« Reply #550 on: October 01, 2019, 06:32:46 pm »
Hey, if you can get my Astros back to the National League Central where they belong, you got my vote as Commish.
@catfish1957
That was one hell of a bad trade, naming the Astros as the team to be named later when trading the Brewers to the National League. I'd undo it in a heartbeat.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #551 on: October 01, 2019, 06:32:56 pm »
:yowsa: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

How about we just go back to two leagues with the pennant winners playing in the series.

Problem is the Rubicon has been crossed.  That and Ace's ideas fly well with us as purists, but the attention deficit (esp. millienals) want arcade baseball, flashy lights, a million runs, and NBA like playoff structure, where some teams get in like a consolation trophy.

That is why I parsed the issue in between by suggesting a longer WC round.  At least it would be more equitable among the two teams participating.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #552 on: October 01, 2019, 06:34:54 pm »
@catfish1957
That was one hell of a bad trade, naming the Astros as the team to be named later when trading the Brewers to the National League. I'd undo it in a heartbeat.
Do you remember the circumstances?  Very suspicious, and possibly illegal (IMO)
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #553 on: October 02, 2019, 12:16:53 am »
Do you remember the circumstances?  Very suspicious, and possibly illegal (IMO)
It came as a long-term ramification out of the last expansion that created the Rays and the Diamondbacks and when the leagues agreed to re-balance to an equal number of teams.

Illegal it wasn't, but you could think it suspicious when Bud Selig (who was then still acting commissioner as well as still the Brewers' owner) moved the Brewers to the National League.
What's often forgotten---to re-balance the divisions by numbers, an American League Central team would need to move to the NL. Selig actually gave the Royals first option on the idea but the Royals turned it down.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #554 on: October 02, 2019, 12:44:11 am »
It came as a long-term ramification out of the last expansion that created the Rays and the Diamondbacks and when the leagues agreed to re-balance to an equal number of teams.

Illegal it wasn't, but you could think it suspicious when Bud Selig (who was then still acting commissioner as well as still the Brewers' owner) moved the Brewers to the National League.
What's often forgotten---to re-balance the divisions by numbers, an American League Central team would need to move to the NL. Selig actually gave the Royals first option on the idea but the Royals turned it down.

I believe it is a bit more sinister.  Selig basically told Drayton McLane that his sale of the team to Jim Crane, was contingent on his acceptance of moving the Astros to the AL.  Otherwise he would withhold a vote, or make sure the vote went negative for Crain.

Selig supposedly also dug up what was unsavory business dealings of Crain, and was to blow the whistle if the Astros did not submit.

And again, as you stated.....    Selig's team had everything to gain. 

Not too many people in the world I wish would burn in hell.....  Selig is the exception

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #555 on: October 02, 2019, 12:48:20 am »
I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach over the BREWERS vs NATIONALS winner-take-all game tonight.    :3:

Scherzer getting lit up early.  Still plenty of baseaball left though.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #556 on: October 02, 2019, 03:10:05 am »
I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach over the BREWERS vs NATIONALS winner-take-all game tonight.    :3:
@DCPatriot

Congratulations,

Old man Zimmerman getting that broken bat single warmed my heart.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #557 on: October 02, 2019, 03:14:22 am »
@DCPatriot
AKA Harvey's Wallbangers. Who went on to be dispatched in the World Series by the first of Whitey Herzog's Runnin' Redbirds . . .

Yep, Harvey’s softball team against the Red Rabbits.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #558 on: October 02, 2019, 03:39:09 am »
I’d like it to aligned as much as possible, geographically, and come as close to possible to leave them in the original leagues

(1) Boston, Yanks, Mets, Blue jays, Phillies (A)
(2) Nats, Orioles, Braves, Rays, Marlins. (N)
(3) Tigers, Twins, Brewers, Pirates, Indians (A)
(4) Cards, Royals, Cubs, White Sox, Reds (N)
(5) Astros , Rangers, D- Backs, Rockies, Padres (N)
(6) Dodgers, Angels, Giants, A’s, Mariners (A)

..... Or something like this.

The divisions which have the most American league teams would be in the American league.
The same way with the National league.
So, I've modified the above with an (A) or (N) at the end.

I might as well go ahead and get everyone mad......
 :cool:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 02:56:55 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #559 on: October 02, 2019, 04:46:49 am »

@DCPatriot

Feel better?  wink777

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #560 on: October 02, 2019, 09:01:24 am »
I can't believe it.

Turned it off and went to bed in the 8th inning.     9999hair out0000
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #561 on: October 02, 2019, 01:00:08 pm »
I can't believe it.

Oh no!!! 

On the bright side, you now have more games to watch.
 :beer:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #562 on: October 02, 2019, 01:05:58 pm »
I can't believe it.

@DCPatriot

No, you didn't! You're kidding us, right?

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #563 on: October 02, 2019, 01:15:15 pm »
@DCPatriot

No, you didn't! You're kidding us, right?

Wish I was....

Damnit!    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #564 on: October 02, 2019, 01:54:22 pm »
Wish I was....

Damnit!    :laugh:

@DCPatriot

OHMYGOSH! Were you sleepy? Had you given up on the game? I hate that you missed such an exciting comeback. My BFF and I were texting, talking about what great fans the Nats have. Almost as amazing as our 'Stros fans.  wink777

Anyway, congrats to the Nats. Now, go forth and pull the Dodgers down from their lofty perch. And stay awake this time!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #565 on: October 02, 2019, 02:15:43 pm »
My BFF and I were texting, talking about what great fans the Nats have. Almost as amazing as our 'Stros fans.  wink777
@AllThatJazzZ
Actually, and unfortunately, that's not quite true---I watched enough games featuring both teams at home this year to tell you I saw lots of empty seats in Nationals Park on the season a lot more often than I saw empty seats in Minute Maid Park. That's allowing for the trend I've noticed the last few years whenever I've gone to the ballpark: lots of fans milling about the park under or behind the stands, either just hanging out or indulging the attractions away from the playing field itself. (You may recall Nats pitcher Stephen Strasburg lamenting during the regular season---and after the Nats recovered from that 19-31 horror to open the season---that the Nats hoped more of their fans would get to the park and show the love.)

I took my son and his lady to an Angels game the night before he graduated his college prep program for special needs students. When I got up to get them fresh drinks between innings at one point, it seemed like about a third of the seats inside Angel Stadium were empty. (The game was a sellout: the Angels vs. the A's remain a rivalry no matter how either team is doing.) I got to the concession stand and saw the walkway around the inside of the structure almost as crowded as Grand Central Station during rush hour, and that wasn't just lines at the other concession stands. I was absolutely amazed. Oh sure, you could still see the game on monitors all around the inside of the park, but who the hell goes to the ballpark to watch the game on television?

For years before that game, the answer actually would have been Dodger fans---with a qualifier, and I saw it myself the first time I went to Dodger Stadium: many brought their little portable TV sets to the park, turning off the picture, but still listening to Vin Scully for all those years. It was as if they wouldn't believe what they were seeing with their own eyes unless they heard it from Scully. Which tells you something of how respected and beloved Scully was until the day he finally retired. And being an admirer of Scully myself, I got that completely.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #566 on: October 02, 2019, 02:51:46 pm »
I can't believe it.

Oh, man..............

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #567 on: October 02, 2019, 03:17:00 pm »
@DCPatriot
 My BFF and I were texting, talking about what great fans the Nats have. Almost as amazing as our 'Stros fans.  wink777

I hope no one slipped at the stadium on all that wasted $30 beer.  :cool:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 03:18:33 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #568 on: October 02, 2019, 03:20:02 pm »
Oh no!!! 

On the bright side, you now have more games to watch.
 :beer:

Starting Kuechel in Game 1?   Brave souls aren't ya'll?

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #569 on: October 02, 2019, 03:49:35 pm »
Starting Kuechel in Game 1?   Brave souls aren't ya'll?

LOL, I see what you did there.

Yep, they're counting on him being the least nervous considering post-season experience and such. I think we'll be just fine.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #570 on: October 02, 2019, 04:15:21 pm »
Not too many people in the world I wish would burn in hell.....  Selig is the exception
Along that line, you should wish him joined by White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf---the man who did the absolute most to push for and get the 1994 players' strike. The man who hammered the "responsibility" theme to a fare-thee-well. The man who did the absolute most to cost baseball a postseason that year, knowing good and bloody well that the players' association had rejected salary caps every previous time the proposal was put to them.

And . . . drumroll, please . . . the man who showed just how fiscally responsible he was really willing to be when, practically the moment the strike was settled in 1995, he backed up the armored car to Albert Belle's house and refused to leave until the (shall we say) mercurial outfielder signed with the White Sox for annual salaries three jumps higher than 1994's highest single-season salary was. Reinsdorf's bleating about the common good of the game showed what his real definition of it was: making sure Belle couldn't get anywhere near possibly re-signing with the division-rival Indians from whence he came.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #571 on: October 02, 2019, 05:04:43 pm »
@DCPatriot

OHMYGOSH! Were you sleepy? Had you given up on the game? I hate that you missed such an exciting comeback. My BFF and I were texting, talking about what great fans the Nats have. Almost as amazing as our 'Stros fans.  wink777

Anyway, congrats to the Nats. Now, go forth and pull the Dodgers down from their lofty perch. And stay awake this time!

@AllThatJazzZ

LOL!  Thanks.   I recorded it.

Couldn't take the disappointment overtaking me...especially with that left-hander coming in throwing 150 mph.

Woke up in the middle of the night...as usual, and checked the score.  WOW!

Loved the way Jim Thome on MLB broke down that inning and the players involved.

If that ball hit the bat first instead of Michael A. Taylor's hand...Rendon's take on that 3-2 pitch...and of course Zimmerman fighting off that 98 mph fastball on the fists with a 70 mph exit velocity Texas Leaguer to Centerfield.

And then he talked about "The Kid" being tackled and hugged by his dad and little brother...Juan Soto!

The highlight videos show a virtual rain shower of BEER falling onto the crowd...a delirious crowd.   :laugh:

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #572 on: October 02, 2019, 05:06:20 pm »

And . . . drumroll, please . . . the man who showed just how fiscally responsible he was really willing to be when, practically the moment the strike was settled in 1995, he backed up the armored car to Albert Belle's house and refused to leave until the (shall we say) mercurial outfielder signed with the White Sox for annual salaries three jumps higher than 1994's highest single-season salary was. Reinsdorf's bleating about the common good of the game showed what his real definition of it was: making sure Belle couldn't get anywhere near possibly re-signing with the division-rival Indians from whence he came.

Olde saying. Paybacks are Hell......

Belle (IMO) was probably one of the most ill mannered jerks in baseball of that era.   Reinsdorf got more in grief from Belle's behavior than what Belle delivered at the plate.  Just rewards, and wore out his welcome in 2 years.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #573 on: October 02, 2019, 05:36:31 pm »
I recorded it.
@DCPatriot
I'm glad to hear that.  It's better than missing it altogether anyway.

And then he talked about "The Kid" being tackled and hugged by his dad and little brother...Juan Soto!

Oh my gosh, Juan and his dad were the best part of the whole thing!  That was just amazing.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #574 on: October 02, 2019, 06:12:46 pm »
@DCPatriot
I'm glad to hear that.  It's better than missing it altogether anyway.

Oh my gosh, Juan and his dad were the best part of the whole thing!  That was just amazing.

@Polly Ticks
We love Juan Soto.

Grant Paulsen this morning on talk-radio recalled an interview with him when he reminded him the time a starter would take a day off, and Soto wouldn't hear of it.

When asked about it, Soto said that he came to play baseball and he was afraid that if he took a day off he'd lose his position...and "I don't want to stay poor"!!!!!    :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 06:13:42 pm by DCPatriot »