Author Topic: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!  (Read 46663 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!
« Reply #525 on: October 01, 2019, 04:25:47 pm »
I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach over the BREWERS vs NATIONALS winner-take-all game tonight.    :3:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #526 on: October 01, 2019, 04:31:01 pm »
I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach over the BREWERS vs NATIONALS winner-take-all game tonight.    :3:

I hear you.  Those Wild Card games are definitely gut-wrenching.
Hang in there!

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #527 on: October 01, 2019, 04:45:41 pm »
Hang in there!

Max Scherzer has morphed into 'Mike Mussina' where even with a quality start, a couple 'mistakes' go over the wall, and his offense is AWOL.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #528 on: October 01, 2019, 04:47:00 pm »
@DCPatriot
A few points toward your comfort:

* This years Nationals were the majors' best two-strike hitting team.
* They have enough of a left-right balance at the plate to make things tough for the Brewers' bullpenning.
* Max Scherzer.
* Stephen Strasburg in relief if Max Scherzer runs into too much hot water.
* The Nats' bullpen actually tightened up just enough over the last couple of regular season days, but going all-hands-on-deck for this game may mean Patrick Corbin in relief of Strasrbug if Strasburg runs into critical trouble behind Scherzer.
* The Brewers may not be at full non-Yelich strength with Lorenzo Cain and Ryan Braun being hurt for the final regular season game. They're likely to play today but they may still be just uncomfortable enough to make a difference for the Nats, however small.
* Without Yelich, a third of the Brewers' power is gone. The Nats are at full power with enough power bats in the lineup.
* Anthony Rendon.

Frankly, I like the Nats' chances today.

But if they don't make it, take further comfort: the Brewers are liable to get destroyed by the Dodgers in a division series.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #529 on: October 01, 2019, 04:51:22 pm »
@Bigun
You can pay me now.  wink777

The check is in the mail @EasyAce
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #530 on: October 01, 2019, 05:02:41 pm »
@Bigun
@catfish1957

In the immortal words of Gabriel Heatter, there's good news tonight (well, this morning)---the list of umps for the wild card games and the division series is posted, and it looks like neither Country Joe, Charlie Brown, or the Devilish Angel are on the list:

Wild Card Games
National League---Cory Blaser, Kerwin Danley, Mike Everitt, Jeff Nelson, David Rackley, Carlos Torres.
American League---Lance Barrett, Fieldin Culbreth, Chad Fairchild, Chris Guccione, Adam Hamari, Bill Miller.

Division Series
National League---Dodgers v. wild card winner: Jordan Baker, Ted Barrett, Doug Eddings, Tripp Gibson, Wil Little, Alfonso Marquez; Braves vs. Cardinals: Tom Hallion, Ed Hickox, Pat Hoberg, Sam Holbrook, Alan Porter, Jim Wolf.

American League---Astros v. wild card winner: Bruce Dreckman, James Hoye, Jerry Meals, D.J. Reyburn, John Tumpane, Mark Wegner; Yankees v. Twins: Lance Barksdale, Gary Cederstrom, Eric Cooper, Manny Gonzalez, Adrian Johnson, Todd Tichenor.

Not a C.B. Bucknor, Angel Hernandez, or Joe West among them.

For now.  wink777

@EasyAce

Did you add that last line just to torture us?!

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #531 on: October 01, 2019, 05:03:23 pm »
@EasyAce

Did you add that last line just to torture us?!
@AllThatJazzZ
Not at all---they simply haven't decided on the crews for the two League Championship Series and the World Series yet.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #532 on: October 01, 2019, 05:04:54 pm »
@DCPatriot
A few points toward your comfort:

* This years Nationals were the majors' best two-strike hitting team.
* They have enough of a left-right balance at the plate to make things tough for the Brewers' bullpenning.
* Max Scherzer.
* Stephen Strasburg in relief if Max Scherzer runs into too much hot water.
* The Nats' bullpen actually tightened up just enough over the last couple of regular season days, but going all-hands-on-deck for this game may mean Patrick Corbin in relief of Strasrbug if Strasburg runs into critical trouble behind Scherzer.
* The Brewers may not be at full non-Yelich strength with Lorenzo Cain and Ryan Braun being hurt for the final regular season game. They're likely to play today but they may still be just uncomfortable enough to make a difference for the Nats, however small.
* Without Yelich, a third of the Brewers' power is gone. The Nats are at full power with enough power bats in the lineup.
* Anthony Rendon.

Frankly, I like the Nats' chances today.

But if they don't make it, take further comfort: the Brewers are liable to get destroyed by the Dodgers in a division series.

LOL!   Thanks, my friend!   

If the 2014 GIANTS can win it all as a Wildcard, why not us?     :bolt:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #533 on: October 01, 2019, 05:21:18 pm »

@DCPatriot
Actually, five wild card teams went on to win the World Series: the Marlins (1997, 2003), the Angels (2002, and they beat the NL wild card-winning Giants in that Series), the Red Sox (2004), the Cardinals (that thriller of a 2011 Series), and the '14 Giants. (Who just so happened to beat the AL wild card-winning Royals.)

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #534 on: October 01, 2019, 05:39:11 pm »

We've been through 1 game WC stress monster too.  It sucks.

If I was Commish, I'd suggest dropping the regular season to 160 games, so it could allow for a best of 3 WC round.

Really not fair for a team winning almost 100 games (i.e. A's and Rays), and base your entire season fortunes on 9 innings of fear.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 05:44:49 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #535 on: October 01, 2019, 05:44:04 pm »

Remember....  in all the despair a few months ago , I told you I thought the Nats would make the playoffs.

To me an Astros v.  Nats WS would be the most compelling of all.  The starting pitching matchups would be epic.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #536 on: October 01, 2019, 05:44:32 pm »
We've been through 1 game WC stress monster too.  It sucks.

If I was Commish, I'd suggest dropping the regular season to 160 games, so it could allow for a best of 3 WC round.

Really not fair for a team winning almost 100 games (i.e. A's and Rays), and base your post season fortunes on 9 innings of fear.

2015, Astros beat Yankees 3-0 in Yankee stadium was the last time we did, right?

It was nerve wracking.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #537 on: October 01, 2019, 05:45:16 pm »
Remember....  in all the despair a few months ago , I told you I thought the Nats would make the playoffs.

To me an Astros v.  Nats WS would be the most compelling of all.  The starting pitching matchups would be epic.

I agree.
I thought that might be the eventual match up one of these last 2 years.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #538 on: October 01, 2019, 05:47:35 pm »

I sincerely hope we get to see it, @catfish1957 !      :beer:

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #539 on: October 01, 2019, 05:50:53 pm »
2015, Astros beat Yankees 3-0 in Yankee stadium was the last time we did, right?

It was nerve wracking.

Yeah, we got the the flip of the shiny coin that time, and rode the hot hand when Kuechel was dominant.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #540 on: October 01, 2019, 06:00:04 pm »
Yeah, we got the the flip of the shiny coin that time, and rode the hot hand when Kuechel was dominant.

He's not so shabby now, either.  We kind of like him, anyway.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #541 on: October 01, 2019, 06:00:06 pm »

LOL!

I'm not gonna talk sh*t until we win tonight.  Then...watch out!    :laugh:

Trey Turner getting on base is an automatic RISP.  Adam Eaton behind him sees a lot of fastballs, because Anthony Rendon and Juan Soto are on deck.

And right now, the lower end of the batting order is barrelling up, too!

Now, add a dose of Scherzer, Strasburg, Corbin, Sanchez and [fill-in-the-blank] in a short series??

Please LORD!!!   Let me celebrate tonight.   I've been good.    :0001:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #542 on: October 01, 2019, 06:04:30 pm »
Much as I love what could happen today and (with the American League wild card game) tomorrow, if I was the commish, I'd demand, not suggest . . .

* Doing away with the damn wild cards. I'm personally exhausted from all the thrills, chills, and spills of watching teams fighting to the last breath to finish . . . in second place. Time to return real pennant race incentive: you want to play in the postseason, park your ass in first place. Which means . . .

* Doing away with the three-division setup and returning to two-division leagues.

* Doing away with regular-season interleague play. It ain't the big deal they cracked it up to be when they came up with the idea, not even Cubs/White Sox, A's/Giants, or even Yankees/Mets. (And how stupid was it to schedule the Nats finishing the season against . . . the Indians?)

* If I can't get rid of the three-division setup, then I'll insist on the division champ with the best record getting a round-one bye while the other two division champs play a best-of-three division series and that winner facing the champ with the best record in a best-of-five League Championship Series. (Which is how the LCS was set up in the first place half a century ago.) That'll provide some pennant race incentive, too . . . and remove the saturation factor from the postseason while restoring the World Series's primacy once and for all.

* Joe West, Angel Hernandez, and C.B. Bucknor will never again get to within two state lines of any postseason series unless they want to buy their way into the stands to watch.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 06:07:50 pm by EasyAce »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #543 on: October 01, 2019, 06:06:10 pm »
. . . Trey Turner getting on base is an automatic RISP.  Adam Eaton behind him sees a lot of fastballs, because Anthony Rendon and Juan Soto are on deck.
@DCPatriot
Juan Soto's also worth two outs going in in the outfield, he's that good.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #544 on: October 01, 2019, 06:06:58 pm »
Hang in there!

It occurred to me just now again....the last time my baseball heart was broken was 1982, when my Orioles were beat in an elimination game 9-2 or 9-3.

By the Brewers.   Robin Yount and the boys.

Was at that game with my six-month old daughter.    happy77

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #545 on: October 01, 2019, 06:08:27 pm »
@DCPatriot
Juan Soto's also worth two outs going in in the outfield, he's that good.

@EasyAce

Do you mean charging the ball?  Or, do you mean he's going to get 2 catches the average LFer wouldn't?

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #546 on: October 01, 2019, 06:08:59 pm »
By the Brewers.   Robin Yount and the boys.
@DCPatriot
AKA Harvey's Wallbangers. Who went on to be dispatched in the World Series by the first of Whitey Herzog's Runnin' Redbirds . . .

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #547 on: October 01, 2019, 06:09:43 pm »
@EasyAce

Do you mean charging the ball?  Or, do you mean he's going to get 2 catches the average LFer wouldn't?
@DCPatriot
Yes to both. He's that good in left field.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #548 on: October 01, 2019, 06:20:11 pm »
Much as I love what could happen today and (with the American League wild card game) tomorrow, if I was the commish, I'd demand, not suggest . . .

* Doing away with the damn wild cards. I'm personally exhausted from all the thrills, chills, and spills of watching teams fighting to the last breath to finish . . . in second place. Time to return real pennant race incentive: you want to play in the postseason, park your ass in first place. Which means . . .

* Doing away with the three-division setup and returning to two-division leagues.

* Doing away with regular-season interleague play. It ain't the big deal they cracked it up to be when they came up with the idea, not even Cubs/White Sox, A's/Giants, or even Yankees/Mets. (And how stupid was it to schedule the Nats finishing the season against . . . the Indians?)

* If I can't get rid of the three-division setup, then I'll insist on the division champ with the best record getting a round-one bye while the other two division champs play a best-of-three division series and that winner facing the champ with the best record in a best-of-five League Championship Series. (Which is how the LCS was set up in the first place half a century ago.) That'll provide some pennant race incentive, too . . . and remove the saturation factor from the postseason while restoring the World Series's primacy once and for all.

* Joe West, Angel Hernandez, and C.B. Bucknor will never again get to within two state lines of any postseason series unless they want to buy their way into the stands to watch.

Hey, if you can get my Astros back to the National League Central where they belong, you got my vote as Commish.  NO Arguments at all with any of those bullet points.  Of course I could write books on my rage around the damage  Selig/Manfred has done to this game, but in the spirit of the seaon (Baseball Playoffs), I will calm down.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #549 on: October 01, 2019, 06:24:49 pm »

:yowsa: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

How about we just go back to two leagues with the pennant winners playing in the series.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien