Author Topic: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!  (Read 46601 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!
« Reply #400 on: August 20, 2019, 08:25:09 pm »
@DCPatriot
You've never heard of awakening the sleeping giant?  wink777

I shutter at the thought that Ryan Zimmerman is rehabbing in Hagerstown, Maryland....and planning on returning. 

UGH...How in the hell are they going to sit Adams OR Kendricks...it will ruin the chemistry of the dugout.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #401 on: August 20, 2019, 08:33:26 pm »
I shutter at the thought that Ryan Zimmerman is rehabbing in Hagerstown, Maryland....and planning on returning. 

UGH...How in the hell are they going to sit Adams OR Kendricks...it will ruin the chemistry of the dugout.
Not necessarily. Both those guys have been Zimmerman teammates before, and I thought Zimmerman was considered one of the genuinely good guys in their clubhouse.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #402 on: August 20, 2019, 08:33:46 pm »
Is it me, or does it seem like Correa is fragile? I love having him healthy and playing, but in the two years I've been a baseball fan, he's spent a lot of time on the DL/IL.

(Please, no smart-a$$ answers. I truly want to learn.)

@AllThatJazzZ

I'm not sure, to be honest.

Rookie year is in 2015.
He seemed healthy in 2015 and 2016.

In 2017 had a ligament issue in his thumb, which what happened probably would have injured anyone.
First he slid into a catcher's shin guard, then hurt it further 2 weeks later on a swing.
The ligament required surgery.
He came back labor day weekend, and for 2017, the rest is history.

Last year 2018, he missed  8 weeks with back issues and never seemed the same until this year.

Of course, the broken ribs issue this year, which seems to be a fluke.
Now the back again.

I'd say he has one major concern (the back) and 2 flukes (the ligament and the broken rib).

Would I say he is fragile?
No, 2 of the 3 injuries were just weird, odd things.

Would I say his back is a concern?
Yes, 2nd time now.

Maybe this never happens again.
Maybe this never goes away.

I don't know.
Time will tell.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #403 on: August 20, 2019, 08:49:01 pm »
@AllThatJazzZ

I'm not sure, to be honest.

Rookie year is in 2015.
He seemed healthy in 2015 and 2016.

In 2017 had a ligament issue in his thumb, which what happened probably would have injured anyone.
First he slid into a catcher's shin guard, then hurt it further 2 weeks later on a swing.
The ligament required surgery.
He came back labor day weekend, and for 2017, the rest is history.

Last year 2018, he missed  8 weeks with back issues and never seemed the same until this year.

Of course, the broken ribs issue this year, which seems to be a fluke.
Now the back again.

I'd say he has one major concern (the back) and 2 flukes (the ligament and the broken rib).

Would I say he is fragile?
No, 2 of the 3 injuries were just weird, odd things.

Would I say his back is a concern?
Yes, 2nd time now.

Maybe this never happens again.
Maybe this never goes away.

I don't know.
Time will tell.

Thanks, @GrouchoTex. I appreciate the history and your take on it. My first awareness of him was WS 2017, so I knew nothing before that. I'm with you ... that back thing could prove concerning.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #404 on: August 20, 2019, 09:08:22 pm »
Thanks, @GrouchoTex. I appreciate the history and your take on it. My first awareness of him was WS 2017, so I knew nothing before that. I'm with you ... that back thing could prove concerning.

I had thought the back issues were gone this year.
However, do they ever really go away?
I do know that medical science improves all the time, and treatments get less evasive and heal faster.
Here's to hoping it was just a muscle strain.

To me, Correa, Altuve, Springer, and Bregman make up the nucleus of the team, as far as position players go.
Altuve is signed for 10 more years and Bregman 5.
I hope Springer and (a healthy) Correa can be signed for 5 or more each.
Add Alvarez to this, too.

I fear with the high price of pitching, some hard choices may be coming after 2020.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #405 on: August 20, 2019, 09:14:57 pm »

(Please, no smart-a$$ answers. I truly want to learn.)

888mouth
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #406 on: August 20, 2019, 09:17:27 pm »
I had thought the back issues were gone this year.
However, do they ever really go away?
I do know that medical science improves all the time, and treatments get less evasive and heal faster.
Here's to hoping it was just a muscle strain.

To me, Correa, Altuve, Springer, and Bregman make up the nucleus of the team, as far as position players go.
Altuve is signed for 10 more years and Bregman 5.
I hope Springer and (a healthy) Correa can be signed for 5 or more each.
Add Alvarez to this, too.

I fear with the high price of pitching, some hard choices may be coming after 2020.

I really expect Correa to be gone next year.  His prospective wife yearns for the big city LA or NY exposure.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #407 on: August 20, 2019, 09:21:32 pm »

The board I follow had some lengthy discussion about the luxury tax, and  it is one very complicated matter.  Crane has done well in investing in talent, but doesn't have the fiancial resources to keep this talented roster long term.  I see Cole and Correa being jettiosned in 2020, hopefully being supplanted by Whitley, Tucker, and lower cost option at short.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #408 on: August 20, 2019, 10:34:26 pm »
I really expect Correa to be gone next year.  His prospective wife yearns for the big city LA or NY exposure.

If the Astros win it all this year the will likely be several members of the team playing elsewhere next season as their price tags will exceed the avaliable resources.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #409 on: August 21, 2019, 12:05:19 am »
It seems to me that if Correa has a propensity for injuries and for losing a lot of playing time, he would be less marketable. I don't know how things work in baseball, but that would be how things work in the "real world." Where am I wrong?

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #410 on: August 21, 2019, 02:32:57 pm »
Although not MLB related, my wife and I went to a Sugar Land Skeeters game last night.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #411 on: August 21, 2019, 02:39:40 pm »
It seems to me that if Correa has a propensity for injuries and for losing a lot of playing time, he would be less marketable. I don't know how things work in baseball, but that would be how things work in the "real world." Where am I wrong?

I don't think you are wrong @AllThatJazzZ.  Many things enter into these kid of decisions and the day to day reliability of players is definitely one of those things.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #412 on: August 21, 2019, 02:59:02 pm »
Although not MLB related, my wife and I went to a Sugar Land Skeeters game last night.

Maybe the apt team mascot ever.  They still sell Cutters there by the barrel?.   :cool:

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #413 on: August 21, 2019, 03:00:27 pm »
I don't think you are wrong @AllThatJazzZ.  Many things enter into these kid of decisions and the day to day reliability of players is definitely one of those things.

Sadly in Correa's case, I don't think anyone really knows how much of his plight is being injury prone, or in his or his finacee's head.

I'll just leave it at that.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #414 on: August 21, 2019, 03:50:47 pm »
Maybe the apt team mascot ever.  They still sell Cutters there by the barrel?.   :cool:

LOL, yeah, and sunscreen.

They have a new deal called the Silver Skeeters club.
People age 55+ can sign up for 35.00 each.
It gets you 11 games, all tuesdays.
Brings the ticket price down to $3.11 per game.
My wife got a ticket from one of here friends, who went out of town.
( I had to buy a separate one at full price $ 14.00)
My wife and I are going to sign up for it next year.
You get a t-shirt, a soft drink voucher per game.
Pretty good deal.
The t-shirts are sponsored by a hearing aid company, which will be pretty appropriate for me soon, LOL.
Not a bad deal.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 03:51:44 pm by GrouchoTex »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #415 on: August 21, 2019, 04:15:09 pm »
Sadly in Correa's case, I don't think anyone really knows how much of his plight is being injury prone, or in his or his finacee's head.

I'll just leave it at that.

A player not wanting to be somewhere is also a big factor in how trades go down.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #416 on: August 23, 2019, 09:13:47 pm »
The MLB is playing baseball, while the NATS are playing softball.

Last NINE games, they've had 90 hits to their opponents 37.

They are right now ahead of the CUBS in Chicago 9-0 in the ninth inning.

Anibal Sanchez has a one-hitter going.

Ends up 9-3!  Go NATS!   :patriot:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 09:40:58 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #417 on: August 26, 2019, 01:39:14 pm »
... and now we can all breathe a sigh of relief that the Players Weekend uniform fiasco is finally over and done.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #418 on: August 26, 2019, 01:42:36 pm »
... and now we can all breathe a sigh of relief that the Players Weekend uniform fiasco is finally over and done.

:silly:

They need to fire whoever thought that one up. I'm sure they'll hear about it for a long time.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #419 on: August 26, 2019, 01:43:55 pm »

:amen:  :amen: and  :amen: again!  I absolutely HATED those uniforms and hot to never ever be subjected to that again!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #420 on: August 26, 2019, 03:37:25 pm »
Goods news, the Astros are now tied with the Yankees for the best record in the American league.
No, I didn't like those Good Humor man uniforms, either.
I thought the bats were and shoes were fun.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #421 on: August 26, 2019, 04:00:49 pm »
No, I didn't like those Good Humor man uniforms, either.
I thought the bats were and shoes were fun.

Agreed. The bats and shoes were the parts where the players were actually able to express their individuality and their own interests, and that's what made them fun.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #422 on: August 26, 2019, 04:01:55 pm »
The players looked like Spy vs. Spy.
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #423 on: August 26, 2019, 04:05:43 pm »
The players looked like Spy vs. Spy.
I'm convinced that the players were used as pawns....FREE pawns, in the quest to create a baseball video game.

With black and white uniforms and virtually no contrast to see names and numbers...in fact, 'nicknames' were used so that individual player has no recourse for compensation, it's easy to edit player numbers, etc..

Nothing else makes any sense in this entire BLACK/WHITE weekend of games.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #424 on: August 26, 2019, 04:06:34 pm »
Agreed. The bats and shoes were the parts where the players were actually able to express their individuality and their own interests, and that's what made them fun.

HEY!!!

When in hell are the BRAVES ever going to lose another game?   WTH???     :laugh: