Author Topic: Pelosi, Schumer: 'Height of irresponsibility and political cynicism' if GOP rejects funding deal  (Read 364 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Pelosi, Schumer: 'Height of irresponsibility and political cynicism' if GOP rejects funding deal
The Hill, Jan 1, 2019

Congressional Democratic leadership sent a warning shot to Republicans on Monday saying it would be the "height of irresponsibility and political cynicism" if they reject a plan to end the 10-day government shutdown.

House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi  (D-Calif.) and Senate Democratic Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) urged Republicans to back their plan to fully reopen the government or risk being "complicit" in the partial shutdown.

“If Leader McConnell and Senate Republicans refuse to support the first bill, then they are complicit with President Trump in continuing the Trump shutdown and in holding the health and safety of the American people and workers’ paychecks hostage over the wall," Pelosi and Schumer said in a joint statement.

They added that if Senate Republicans vote against the dual approach offered by Democrats, after approving a seven-week stopgap bill by voice vote, it would "be the height of irresponsibility and political cynicism."

Democrats unveiled their spending package on Monday evening and are expected to force votes on the two bills on Thursday, when they gain control of the House. One bill would fund the Department of Homeland Security through Feb. 8. The second bill would merge funding through Sept. 30, the end of the 2019 fiscal year, for the remaining six appropriations bills.

But the package ran into immediate opposition from Senate Republicans and House conservatives.  Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) isn't expected to bring up a bill for a vote unless it has Trump's endorsement. Meanwhile, Rep. Mark Meadows (R-N.C.), a close ally of Trump's, told The Hill that the Democratic plan was a non-starter.

More: https://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/423363-dems-height-of-irresponsibility-and-political-cynicism-if-gop

Offline RetBobbyMI

The "height of irresponsibility and political cynicism" is the Democrats failure to understand the fundamental role of the US Government as explicitly stated in the US Constitution to “insure domestic tranquillity, [and] provide for the common defense...”
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Anything that fails to advance their agenda is "the Height of irresponsibility and political cynicism" when democrats are talking!  Screw them!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Pelosi, Schumer: 'Height of irresponsibility and political cynicism' if GOP rejects funding deal"

Once more, just gotz to say it:
P-R-O-J-E-C-T-I-O-N !