Author Topic: Obituaries for 2019  (Read 108948 times)

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Obituaries for 2019
« Reply #1050 on: October 21, 2019, 01:58:12 pm »
IIRC, he took office in the early 70s, the start of an unbroken string of Dem Mayors of Baltimore.
Actually, parts of Baltimore were pretty decent in the early to mid 70s, especially with the Inner Harbor refit for the bicentennial. It was later that the place really started going downhill.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1051 on: October 27, 2019, 10:03:04 pm »
Little Feat Guitarist Paul Barrere Dead at 71

Little Feat's Paul Barrere, who served as guitarist and vocalist in the boogie rock band for nearly 50 years, died Saturday at the age of 71.

The band confirmed Barrere’s death in a statement. While no cause of death was provided, the guitarist was undergoing treatment in his long battle with liver disease; in 1994, Barrere contracted hepatitis C, and in 2015 was diagnosed with liver cancer.

“It is with great sorrow that Little Feat must announce the passing of our brother guitarist, Paul Barrere, this morning at UCLA Hospital,” Little Feat said in a statement.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/little-feat-guitarist-paul-barrere-obituary-904307/

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1052 on: October 27, 2019, 10:15:04 pm »
So many rock greats are leaving us,  888cryingkitty

Ping @EasyAce
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1053 on: October 28, 2019, 11:36:03 am »
Former Rep. John Conyers (D-MI) dies at 90

Conyers served western Detroit in the U.S. House of Representatives for 27 terms, a testament to the ignorance of his electorate who, despite consistent sympathy for Islamic terrorism and widespread corruption including his wife's bribery conviction, continued to elect him with over 80% of the vote. Conyers was ultimately forced out of office for his own sexual harassment in 2017. As a further testament to the district's far-left nature, Conyers's former seat is currently held by Rashida Tlaib, a member of "The Squad."

Obituary from The New York Post

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1054 on: October 28, 2019, 12:44:13 pm »
Former Rep. John Conyers (D-MI) dies at 90

Conyers served western Detroit in the U.S. House of Representatives for 27 terms, a testament to the ignorance of his electorate who, despite consistent sympathy for Islamic terrorism and widespread corruption including his wife's bribery conviction, continued to elect him with over 80% of the vote. Conyers was ultimately forced out of office for his own sexual harassment in 2017.

@jmyrlefuller

No surprise there. He really and truly was a representative "ob hiz peep-pulls". They kept re-electing him BECAUSE of his obvious corruption. He was cheating whitey out of money,and they greatly admired him for doing it.

As a further testament to the district's far-left nature, Conyers's former seat is currently held by Rashida Tlaib, a member of "The Squad."

See?

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1055 on: October 28, 2019, 04:11:39 pm »
Vladimir Bukovsky: Soviet-era dissident dies in Cambridge

A leading Soviet-era dissident and Russian human rights campaigner, Vladimir Bukovsky, has died at a Cambridge hospital at the age of 76.

Bukovsky had a heart attack on Sunday evening after ailing for several years.

He became a prominent Soviet dissident in the early 1960s and was soon after declared mentally ill.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50206084

Jerry Fogel Dies: ‘The Mothers-In-Law’ & ‘The White Shadow’ Co-Star Was 83
[Deadline]   Geoff Boucher     Deadline   October 23, 2019

Jerry Fogel, a longtime screen actor best remembered as the beleaguered bridegroom Jerry Buell on NBC’s 1960s sitcom The Mothers-in-Law, has died, He was 83.

Fogel, who diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma in 2008, died Monday at the Kansas City Hospice House in Kansas City, MO, his family announced.

More: https://ca.news.yahoo.com/jerry-fogel-actor-mothers-law-233401594.html

I did not know he was in the White Shadow but I see he was quite tall.  His wife in the mothers-in-law sitcom, Deborah Walley was quite lovely and quite interesting, I read up on this last week.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1056 on: October 28, 2019, 04:17:32 pm »
He survived 11 years with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma?  That's amazing!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1057 on: October 28, 2019, 04:26:11 pm »
I made a separate thread for congressman Conyers. Maybe it should be moved here. @Cyber Liberty .

I’m offline until this evening.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1058 on: October 28, 2019, 04:28:58 pm »
I made a separate thread for congressman Conyers. Maybe it should be moved here. @Cyber Liberty .

I’m offline until this evening.

@Gefn,

If it has a lot of posts, and discussion about his politics, it's probably best left where it is.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1059 on: October 28, 2019, 04:45:51 pm »
So many rock greats are leaving us,  888cryingkitty

Ping @EasyAce
@Gefn
RIP, of course, but for me Little Feat died with Lowell George. They were never really the same after that.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1060 on: October 28, 2019, 04:51:40 pm »
I did not know he was in the White Shadow but I see he was quite tall.  His wife in the mothers-in-law sitcom, Deborah Walley was quite lovely and quite interesting, I read up on this last week.

@TomSea

This was a brave and noble man by anyone's standards,and the world needs more people like him.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1061 on: October 28, 2019, 04:53:00 pm »
He survived 11 years with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma?  That's amazing!

@Cyber Liberty

I see it as "encouraging".

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1062 on: October 28, 2019, 04:58:15 pm »
@Gefn
RIP, of course, but for me Little Feat died with Lowell George. They were never really the same after that.

@EasyAce

Amen,brother,amen! GREAT recording group,but they partied so hard they sucked in concert. I saw them twice and had trouble even recognizing their songs both times,and had tickets to see them again the week Lowell George died.

But when he was semi-sober,he created nothing but musical magic that brought smiles to the faces of everyone that heard it,as well as movement to their limbs. Even  people that KNEW they couldn't dance,just couldn't hold back.

Even though I am a HUGE fan of their "boogie music",my favorite song of theirs was "Roll 'em Easy". One of my favorite songs,period.

Didn't one of the drummers get life for murder back in the 70's?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1063 on: October 28, 2019, 05:00:26 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

I see it as "encouraging".

That too!  I knew a fellow, healthy as a horse, and NHL killed him in less than a year.  This was in the early 00's.
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1064 on: October 28, 2019, 05:03:46 pm »
That too!  I knew a fellow, healthy as a horse, and NHL killed him in less than a year.  This was in the early 00's.

@Cyber Liberty

Uhhh,thanks. I think.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1065 on: October 28, 2019, 05:06:16 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

Uhhh,thanks. I think.

We've come a long, long way in this area.   The Obit above rather proves that. 
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1066 on: October 28, 2019, 05:10:54 pm »
Didn't one of the drummers get life for murder back in the 70's?
@sneakypete
No. Richie Hayward, Little Feat's co-founding drummer, died of cancer in 2010; his replacement, Gabe Ford, is still with the current lineup. Keyboardsman Bill Payne is, I think, the only Little Feat member to be with the band since their beginning.

You may be thinking of Jim Gordon, drummer with Delaney & Bonnie & Friends and Derek & the Dominos, who spun into mental illness and killed his mother in 1983. Gordon was diagnosed with schizophrenia but also serves a life sentence for murder thanks to California's Insanity Defense Reform Act. Gordon has been denied parole several times since. Gordon was also an active studio musician (among others, he played on George Harrison's All Things Must Pass), but he never played with Little Feat.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 05:12:05 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1067 on: October 28, 2019, 07:00:51 pm »
Robert Evans, ‘Chinatown’ Producer and Paramount Chief, Dies at 89

Robert Evans, the Paramount executive who produced “Chinatown” and “Urban Cowboy,” and whose life became as melodramatic and jaw-dropping as any of his films, died on Saturday night. He was 89.

Even though Hollywood history is filled with colorful characters, few can match the tale of Evans, whose life would seem far-fetched if it were fiction. With his matinee-idol looks, but little acting talent, Evans was given starring roles in a few movies and then, with no studio experience, was handed the production reins at Paramount in the 1960s. When he left the exec ranks, his first film as a producer was the classic “Chinatown,” and he followed with other hits, like “Marathon Man” and “Urban Cowboy.” Eventually, his distinctive look and speaking style turned him into a cult figure, and he had the distinction of being the only film executive who starred in his own animated TV series. 

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/robert-evans-dead-dies-chinatown-producer-1203385589/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1068 on: October 28, 2019, 07:10:47 pm »
@sneakypete
No. Richie Hayward, Little Feat's co-founding drummer, died of cancer in 2010; his replacement, Gabe Ford, is still with the current lineup. Keyboardsman Bill Payne is, I think, the only Little Feat member to be with the band since their beginning.

You may be thinking of Jim Gordon, drummer with Delaney & Bonnie & Friends and Derek & the Dominos, who spun into mental illness and killed his mother in 1983.

@EasyAce

No,I am horrible with names,but I do remember a LF band member going to prison for murder. I do remember he was a black guy,and I THINK he played the drums,harmonica,and some other wind instrument. Can't remember his name,but he was so good he actually stood out in solo runs,and with a band like LF,that ain't easy to do.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1069 on: October 28, 2019, 07:23:53 pm »
@EasyAce

No,I am horrible with names,but I do remember a LF band member going to prison for murder. I do remember he was a black guy,and I THINK he played the drums,harmonica,and some other wind instrument. Can't remember his name,but he was so good he actually stood out in solo runs,and with a band like LF,that ain't easy to do.
The closest any member of Little Feat ever got to behind bars was a longtime myth that the now-deceased Paul Berrere spent a little time in the hoosegow---but not for murder. The Feat (their name was suggested by Mothers of Invention drummer Jimmy Carl Black, who thought Lowell George's tiny hoofs compared to his large body looked amusing) have a black percussionist/vocalist, Sam Clayton (his sister is vocal legend Merry Clayton), who joined the band in 1972 (and is still with them) . . . and who, apparently, has never seen even the outside of a jail cell.

Offline berdie

« Reply #1070 on: October 28, 2019, 07:53:54 pm »
@sneakypete

You may be thinking of Jim Gordon, drummer with Delaney & Bonnie & Friends and Derek & the Dominos, who spun into mental illness and killed his mother in 1983. Gordon was diagnosed with schizophrenia but also serves a life sentence for murder thanks to California's Insanity Defense Reform Act. Gordon has been denied parole several times since. Gordon was also an active studio musician (among others, he played on George Harrison's All Things Must Pass), but he never played with Little Feat.

I didn't know that! Thanks @EasyAce !

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1071 on: October 28, 2019, 07:58:59 pm »

Could be. This was back in the 70's,and something someone told me,so it might not have been true to start with. We all know how the "I heard..." string runs.

Offline berdie

« Reply #1072 on: October 28, 2019, 07:59:52 pm »
@EasyAce

Even though I am a HUGE fan of their "boogie music",my favorite song of theirs was "Roll 'em Easy". One of my favorite songs,period.

Ya gotta love Dixie Chicken. :laugh:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1073 on: October 28, 2019, 08:01:50 pm »

Ya gotta love Dixie Chicken. :laugh:

@berdie

I think that is actually a legal requirement in several states.

If it ain't,it should be.

I've seen the bright lights of Memphis".......,and it just keeps getting gooder and gooder as it rolls along.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1074 on: October 28, 2019, 08:50:56 pm »

@jmyrlefuller

No surprise there. He really and truly was a representative "ob hiz peep-pulls". They kept re-electing him BECAUSE of his obvious corruption. He was cheating whitey out of money,and they greatly admired him for doing it.

See?
Yep. Gettin' over on the man! is seen as a plus by some constituents. He wasn't the only one kept in office, at least in part, by that mindset.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis